Saurkraut

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Saurkraut

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon May 01, 2017 3:21 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I meant the soaking to be done to the regular kraut right before you eat it.

Never heard of doing that! I always have just fished it out of the jar and eaten it. I love it including the salt...oh well...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon May 01, 2017 11:53 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote:I meant the soaking to be done to the regular kraut right before you eat it.

Never heard of doing that! I always have just fished it out of the jar and eaten it. I love it including the salt...oh well...

I personally don't spend much time worrying about salt, but I was trying to help the OP with low-sodium options. I don't eat uncooked sauerkraut much. Just a bite here and there. If you added up all of the raw kraut that I've eaten in my lifetime, it might not even fill a quart jar. Not that I don't like its taste. It's just not a food habit I acquired, I guess.

Thinking about the fermented foods I eat most often, they would include sourdough bread and gochujang and soy sauce. I like kimchi well enough and have made that a few times, but I really don't eat it much. One day I might try to ferment curtido just to say I did. :mrgreen:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby VeggieSue » Tue May 02, 2017 3:11 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote: I don't eat uncooked sauerkraut much. Just a bite here and there. If you added up all of the raw kraut that I've eaten in my lifetime, it might not even fill a quart jar. Not that I don't like its taste. It's just not a food habit I acquired, I guess.

My husband is the kraut lover in this family. When I open a can or jar, I usually take a teaspoon or even less at that meal, he takes at least a quarter of the can/jar, and finishes it off with his lunches by the time the next meal that requires it (served weekly) rolls around and we repeat.

When I was a kid living in a 6-family house, we had a first generation Polish neighbor across the hall who made his own saurkraut and horseradish. He made both of these very strongly flavored. I learned to hate both foods by the time his kids got married and he stopped making them. Now, I won't even touch horseradish and just nibble a few strands of cabbage when I serve saurkraut. Why did I have to marry a Polish guy who loves traditional foods? LOL
VeggieSue

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue May 02, 2017 3:51 am

Never heard of ferment curtido either so just looked it up. Latin style, abbreviated sauerkraut! :lol:

Years ago I worked at a Whole Foods in NorCal. One of my all time favorite lunches to buy there was their tempe Ruben. They ran the sandwich through a panini press, don't know if that is traditional with a Ruben or not, but the flavor combo was wonderful; they used plenty of 'kraut in it.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 am

Speaking of curtido, I bought some at Sprouts this past weekend. Saverne brand in a pouch. http://saverneproducts.com/ It's tangy with just a little heat, and you can taste the oregano in it. Pretty good. I think it was $4.99.

Ingredients: Domestic cabbage, sea salt, water, carrots, onions, jalapeño peppers, crushed chili peppers, Mexican oregano

Serving size 2 Tbsp, 5 calories, 160 mg sodium
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning