White asparagus

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

White asparagus

Postby Plumerias » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:21 am

It would seem that white asparagus is a big deal in this part of the world. It's really quite thick and large, like a big carrot. I've no idea what to do with it.
Plumerias

Re: White asparagus

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Plumerias wrote:It would seem that white asparagus is a big deal in this part of the world. It's really quite thick and large, like a big carrot. I've no idea what to do with it.

I've seen it in stores around here (Phoenix), but I'm not tempted to buy it because it's so expensive.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... s-vs-green

"White asparagus is simply green asparagus that has never seen the light of day. The plant is grown under soil or some other covering to block out the sun’s rays, preventing photosynthesis and the development of chlorophyll, which turns the spears green. Europeans prize locally grown white asparagus as a springtime delicacy, but since there are no domestic producers in the U.S., the great majority of white asparagus available in supermarkets is imported from Peru. When we pan-roasted Peruvian white asparagus and green asparagus and sampled them side by side, tasters dubbed the green spears “vegetal,” “sweet,” and “grassy,” with a “slightly mineral” aftertaste. The white spears had a less pronounced flavor, reminding tasters of “a cross between peas and turnips.” Overall, the white spears didn’t wow us, presumably because their delicate flavor had faded during shipping and storage.

"If we have the opportunity to try freshly picked white asparagus, we won’t hesitate. As for the usual supermarket offerings, with a price difference of at least $2 per pound (we paid $3.99 per pound for green and $5.99 per pound for white), we’ll stick with the green stuff."

This article is from 2010. It's even pricier now. On the other hand, in season green asparagus can sometimes be bought for under $1/pound.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Vegankit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Plumerias wrote:It would seem that white asparagus is a big deal in this part of the world. It's really quite thick and large, like a big carrot. I've no idea what to do with it.
Cook it the same way you would the green. I prefer the green - the white are far more expensive and have less favor.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby greentea » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Vegankit wrote:
Cook it the same way you would the green. I prefer the green - the white are far more expensive and have less favour.

I wouldn't be surprised it the european version has more flavour. I couldn't believe how much more delicious veggies were when I visited Europe.
greentea

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue May 09, 2017 5:37 pm

I like white asperagus. I did see a lot of it in Spain. Cook it the same as green. The flavor is a little different, but nice. I'm not into pickled anything, but if you are, you might like that as well.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning