Anyone else tried this?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anyone else tried this?

Postby Willijan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

I had some mushrooms I wanted to eat yesterday. I tried this, and I loved it! Has anyone else made something like it?

Pasta and Mushrooms with Potatoes:

Water saute a pound (more would have been better, I think) of coarsely chopped mushrooms. Set aside.
Steam 3 or 4 medium diced, unpeeled yellow potatoes. Drain, add a little onion powder and mash together.
In a separate pot, cook a cup of dry whole wheat pasta, such as macaroni. Drain.
Mix all 3 ingredients together.
Yummy!

When I told my husband what I was going to do, he said, "No thanks!" Turned out, he ate all that I left for him and loved it.

My original plan was to thin the potatoes with water and use them just to hold the mushrooms and pasta together. Instead, I used thick mashed potatoes. Sometime I'll have to try my original idea of using the potatoes as a sauce.
Willijan

Re: Anyone else tried this?

Postby Vegankit » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 pm

I haven't done that, but I do use mashed potatoes with spices, vinegar and mustard added instead of "mayo" in potato salad. This makes a wonderful sauce and we don't miss mayo. I posted it here a few years ago and more recently someone who blogs has a similar "sauce" recipe that they have posted.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 pm

I haven't made that, but I've always liked noodles and mashed potatoes, and noodles with mashed potatoes is one of my youngest daughter's faves. I probably make it once a month and often on holidays. For the noodles, I saute onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Then I add water and Better Than Bouillon, either the no beef flavor or no chicken flavor, but you could use any broth/bouillon/stock you prefer. I add seasonings: usually parsley flakes and black pepper, and for the chicken noodles I add poultry seasoning or sage. I make enough broth to cover and cook 12 ounces of egg-free noodles.. Then when the noodles are done, I thicken it with a water and cornstarch slurry so the broth is more like gravy. Finally, I stir in frozen peas. You can make this in smaller amounts, but I usually make a big pot. I always serve it with/over mashed potatoes. I use the Walmart's Great Value brand egg-free wide pasta ribbons. I used to use Garden Time brand, but haven't seen those anywhere lately. You could use any kind of pasta.

Noodles with mashed potatoes reminds me of my grandma. It's comfort food. She'd make homemade egg noodles. I used to do that once upon a time.

:mrgreen:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Willijan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I haven't made that, but I've always liked noodles and mashed potatoes, and noodles with mashed potatoes is one of my youngest daughter's faves. I probably make it once a month and often on holidays. For the noodles, I saute onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Then I add water and Better Than Bouillon, either the no beef flavor or no chicken flavor, but you could use any broth/bouillon/stock you prefer. I add seasonings: usually parsley flakes and black pepper, and for the chicken noodles I add poultry seasoning or sage. I make enough broth to cover and cook 12 ounces of egg-free noodles.. Then when the noodles are done, I thicken it with a water and cornstarch slurry so the broth is more like gravy. Finally, I stir in frozen peas. You can make this in smaller amounts, but I usually make a big pot. I always serve it with/over mashed potatoes. I use the Walmart's Great Value brand egg-free wide pasta ribbons. I used to use Garden Time brand, but haven't seen those anywhere lately. You could use any kind of pasta.

Noodles with mashed potatoes reminds me of my grandma. It's comfort food. She'd make homemade egg noodles. I used to do that once upon a time.

This sounds delicious! I am going to look for the egg-free noodles. I didn't know Walmart had any egg-free ones.
Willijan

Postby greentea » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I haven't made that, but I've always liked noodles and mashed potatoes, and noodles with mashed potatoes is one of my youngest daughter's faves. I probably make it once a month and often on holidays. For the noodles, I saute onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Then I add water and Better Than Bouillon, either the no beef flavor or no chicken flavor, but you could use any broth/bouillon/stock you prefer. I add seasonings: usually parsley flakes and black pepper, and for the chicken noodles I add poultry seasoning or sage. I make enough broth to cover and cook 12 ounces of egg-free noodles.. Then when the noodles are done, I thicken it with a water and cornstarch slurry so the broth is more like gravy. Finally, I stir in frozen peas. You can make this in smaller amounts, but I usually make a big pot. I always serve it with/over mashed potatoes. I use the Walmart's Great Value brand egg-free wide pasta ribbons. I used to use Garden Time brand, but haven't seen those anywhere lately. You could use any kind of pasta.

I don't know why but this sounds gross to me, however I bet it's fantastic, so therefore will have to try making it! :lol:
greentea

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:08 pm

Willijan wrote:

This sounds delicious! I am going to look for the egg-free noodles. I didn't know Walmart had any egg-free ones.

These are the noodles I get at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value- ... z/10534090

If Walmart were to quit selling it, I'd probably just use fettucine or linguine broken into halves or thirds. (Those pasta shapes might be easier to find in whole grain versions, if that matters to you.)
AlwaysAgnes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:24 pm

greentea wrote:

I don't know why but this sounds gross to me, however I bet it's fantastic, so therefore will have to try making it! :lol:

Ha. Evidently the Amish like it. Google "noodles and mashed potatoes" and you'll get about 3 1/2 million results. You can even find other vegan versions besides mine. But maybe not low fat like mine. :mrgreen:
AlwaysAgnes

Postby CMD » Sun May 07, 2017 3:30 pm

So do you cook the noodles in the veggie mixture with broth? Or do you cook the noodles in broth and then add to the sauteed veggies?
CMD

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun May 07, 2017 5:55 pm

CMD wrote:So do you cook the noodles in the veggie mixture with broth? Or do you cook the noodles in broth and then add to the sauteed veggies?

Is this question for me? I'll just assume it is. Yes. I cook the noodles in the veggie mixture with broth. Step by step: I saute the vegs (onion, celery, carrot, mushrooms) in a pot. Add spices/herbs as desired (parsley flakes or sage, black pepper). Then add water and bouillon (or you could use a prepared veg broth if you prefer) to the sauteed vegs. (I think I usually add about 6 or 7 cups water and at least a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon for that amount of water.) Simmer this vegs and broth a little while so the flavors meld. Some of the liquid will evaporate. You really just want a rich tasting broth to cook the noodles in. Add the noodles. (If you don't think you have enough broth, just add a little more water. You want the noodles covered to cook.) When the noodles are cooked, add a cornstarch slurry to thicken broth into gravy consistency. After it's thickened, stir in frozen peas and heat through.

To me this is best right after it's made served over mashed potatoes, but you can eat the noodles plain. Leftover noodles just won't have much gravy because the noodles will have sucked it all up. :mrgreen:
AlwaysAgnes

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning