Oat Groats

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oat Groats

Postby kirstykay » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Just bought some Oat Groats because I've seen people mention them as a more whole grain than rolled oats. I'd love ideas of what to do with them?
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Re: Oat Groats

Postby Yomom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 pm

In the Instant Pot, I cook one cup of oat groats in two cups of water for 36 minutes (I live above 5000 ft), with natural release. This makes four servings. I eat the oat groats with banana and blueberries for breakfast. I find them to be more filling, and to have a better texture than other types of oats.
Yomom

Postby Helpinghands » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:34 am

I soak my groat overnight as I do most tough grain before cooking. This shortened the cooking time and since it starts the sprouting process it's said to make them more nutritious. I also make the groats in the Instant Pot. I'll cook enough for a week. I eat mine with berries or banana with rice milk. To reheat I throw them into a dry skillet at high heat and toss them when I start hearing the grains popping. It takes a couple of minutes to warm them. Yes, they are more filling and I like the chewiness. I'll eat between 250/300 grams for breakfast.
Helpinghands

Postby astirle » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:20 am

Hey someone mentioned my favourite food! Whole oats!
I pressure cook these 1 cup to 6 cups water (my pressure cooker takes 1.5 hours to cook them well, but it's a bit ancient).
How I wish I could buy an instant pot in Australia..
This gives me about 5 days worth of breakfast so it's always ready in the fridge to warm up in the microwave.
I have a few raisins, some frozen berries, a spoon of ground flax seed a splash of soy milk and half a banana on it.
Keeps me going for hours.
I look forward to it every morning :) In fact it's my favourite meal of the day.

Yours,
Whole oat lover
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:33 am

astirle wrote:Hey someone mentioned my favourite food! Whole oats!
I pressure cook these 1 cup to 6 cups water (my pressure cooker takes 1.5 hours to cook them well, but it's a bit ancient).

Pressure cookers are all the same really, at least the pc function. "Regular pressure" is 15 psi/250 degrees F (121 C) at sea level (lower as altitude increases). If yours takes longer than is used to, if it is electric it is likely stuck on "low pressure" setting, otherwise it just needs to have gaskets and seals replaced because it is leaking pressure. Mine was mfg'd in the 1950's (garage sale for $5) and it still works perfectly, just like brand new ones I have had. In general, electrics are slower than stove top due to time it takes to reach full temp/pressure
GeoffreyLevens

Postby kirstykay » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks, everyone! I am going to try them tomorrow and I'll let you know how they are!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning