Bread Maker

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bread Maker

Postby schnyd » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Does anyone use a bread maker and have a good fat free low salt recipe to use?
schnyd

Re: Bread Maker

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:46 pm

I don't know about w/ a machine, I just use a bread pan or more often, Dutch oven so this may not apply but in my experience bread is pretty darn forgiving. I have made a number of different bread recipes and just omitted all the salt and oil and they came out great; maybe a little different than if I had used those things but none the less, excellent flavor and texture. I also sub whole grain flour for white though doing this you have to play with hydration a bit.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby canadamike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 pm

I got a bread maker for Xmas and have been slowly experimenting. I don't eat bread a lot, but it's nice to be able to make your own. I have been using a recipe from fat free vegan's website and tweaking it each time to see if I can improve things. My loaf always seems to collapse on the top though. I use all whole wheat flour so it's pretty dense as well. May have to split half with some white whole wheat flour and see if that makes a difference.

http://followyourecho.com/recipes/recipe.asp?recno=249
canadamike

Postby calvin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:13 pm

I follow this:

http://www.sourdo.com/activation-instru ... s-english/

No salt, sugar, or plant oil required and no kneading employed. I like the oven-baked results better than bread-machine results (my machine is the Breadman Ultimate and has a layer of dust on it; lot's of other choices out there). My results are always better in summer time. The intelligent use of a proofing box might very well give year-round consistency; i just haven't built one nor purchased one yet.

If my loaves were caving in spite of starting with a fully active culture, i would probably reduce rise time (trying to keep all other variables the same). If that did not work, i would probably make the dough a little drier by using less water or by using a little more flour. I use 1/3 whole wheat flour and 2/3 unbleached white. This ain't cher 1950's Wonder Bread. :D

A slice of that slathered with Mary's Creamy Gravy and i'm a happy camper. Applesause and cinnamon and you've got apple pie. Tomato sauce, chopped onion bellpepper mushrooms jalapenos and you've got pizza. Fruit, plantmilk, syrup and you've got breakfast pancakes. Loaves sealed in freezer bags store nicely. Removed from the freezer and left out on the counter but sealed just get sourer...no rush to finish them off before they go bad...they get drier slowly but don't go bad. Well, mine at least have never lasted long enough to go bad. 8)

Edit: fwiw, i routinely get at least doubling in volume during rise.
Last edited by calvin on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
calvin

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 am

Yes, collapse means too long a rise time. The gluten structure gradually is broken down by the microbes so it can only go for so long then you start to lose dough strength. I think every recipe I have ever seen calls for rise until double in size then punch down and rise second time. With the coarse, whole grain flours I use that is just fantasy; it won't happen ever. I am doing well to get 50% increase and if I punch it down the 2nd rise does not happen. The method I have been using is I mix the dough without any yeast or sourdough culture, everything else, then separate about 1/3 and 2/3 to 1/2 and 1/2. I knead the leaven into the smaller portion and let that rise, I never use commercial yeast which would rise a lot faster than sourdough so as for time you're on your own. When that is matured I knead it into the remaining dough and let that rise once and then bake.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 am

Did you try the bread recipes Mary McDougall developed:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/aug/recipes.htm
VeggieSue

Postby schnyd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:51 am

VeggieSue wrote:Did you try the bread recipes Mary McDougall developed:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/aug/recipes.htm

Perfect! Thank you.
schnyd

Postby Helpinghands » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:38 pm

I use a Panasonic YD250 breadmaker when baking whole wheat bread. There was a time when I mixed whole wheat with regular bread flour. But, since discovering white whole wheat flour I now bake 100% whole wheat loafs. White whole wheat is a lot less bitter than standard whole wheat. I use the recipe that came with the machine. When baking my rye bread I do it freehand for crust development. The advantage of the bread maker is it takes a couple of minutes to dump everything into the machine. Once that's done you simply continue on with your day while the machine does all the work. The only downside is you aren't going to get a real crust.
Helpinghands

Postby schnyd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Is white whole wheat okay? I've always stayed away from it thinking it was white flour in disguise.
schnyd

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:57 am

schnyd wrote:Is white whole wheat okay? I've always stayed away from it thinking it was white flour in disguise.

It's just a different type of wheat that's lighter in color and protein content but still the whole grain. This article explains what white whole wheat is:

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-8-12459
VeggieSue

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:58 am

schnyd wrote:Is white whole wheat okay? I've always stayed away from it thinking it was white flour in disguise.

It's fine, a genetic variant "whole wheat", think "albino".

WHAT IS WHOLE WHITE WHEAT?
A. White wheat (pictured here) is a different type of wheat that has no major genes for bran color (unlike traditional “red” wheat which has one to three bran color genes). An easy way to think of it is as a sort of albino wheat. The bran of white wheat is not only lighter in color but it’s also milder in flavor, making whole white wheat more appealing to many people accustomed to the taste of refined flour.

The term “white flour” has often been used to mean “refined flour,” so “whole white wheat flour” sounds like a contradiction in terms. But it is simply WHOLE flour – including the bran, germ and endosperm – made from WHITE wheat.
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning