Using the Microwave

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Using the Microwave

Postby Shannox94 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Is it good or bad to cook sweet potatoes in the Microwave. I always was using the oven to cook them before, but then i discovered that it only takes 12mins in the microwave to cook through vs. 1hr in the oven. Is it bad to use the microwave to cook things like frozen vegetables and sweet potatoes in at times?
Shannox94

Re: Using the Microwave

Postby Vegankit » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Absolutely no problem. I personally prefer the caramelization you develop in a sweet potato cooked in the oven, but I too use the microwave when I need to cook my sweet potatoes quickly. Whatever works best for you.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Until recently I mostly steamed sweet potatoes. This takes about eight to ten minutes depending on the volume of sweet potatoes in the steamer. Lately I have started cooking sweet potatoes in the microwave more often. I have adopted the method of wrapping them in a tea towel - I adopted this tip from this board. This takes no more than five minutes. The result is that the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Shannox94 wrote:Is it good or bad to cook sweet potatoes in the Microwave. I always was using the oven to cook them before, but then i discovered that it only takes 12mins in the microwave to cook through vs. 1hr in the oven. Is it bad to use the microwave to cook things like frozen vegetables and sweet potatoes in at times?

Dr. Greger's opinion (with a link to a video on other vegetables):
http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/11/24/is ... -potatoes/

Most of the time I use sweet potatoes in recipes like stews and curries. I peel and cube them, and they're either boiled right in the mix or pre-cooked a bit in the microwave and then boiled in the mix. Occasionally I might make mashed sweet potatoes. Then they are peeled, cubed, boiled, mashed. I can't remember the last time I baked sweet potatoes. It's been a while.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Microwave ovens can be a great convenience, even a "life saver", think stuck in a motel room and only a small grocery store down the street for food possibilities. It is also certain that cooking methods can have a major effect on the flavor(s) of different foods. Sweet potatoes in my experience are particularly effected. I have eaten many microwaved (in motels!) and been quite happy. But they taste far sweeter, have a broader, more complex flavor, and much better texture/mouth feel the slower and lower the temperature of cooking. I usually either boil (barely simmering water) or bake at 250-300F, until very fork soft. Try some side by side comparison tests and you may be amazed at the difference.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Shannox94 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Wow thank you all for all the great tips!! :) i am very relieved to know its okay and safe to use the microwave. I love how easy it is to enjoy easy and quick meals when in hurry.
Shannox94

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning