Peruano/Mayocoba/Canary beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Peruano/Mayocoba/Canary beans

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:48 pm

I make Peruano beans now and then. You can substitute them for pinto beans. Jill McKeever just put up a video for Peruano beans in the instant pot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNdA9_S ... e=youtu.be

She uses more spices in hers than I do. I imagine with that much smoked paprika, hers might taste a bit more like chili beans. I generally don't use a lot of chili-like spices in Peruano or pinto beans. I'd put onions and garlic, maybe a little liquid smoke, possibly some sazon spice blend which includes cumin, paprika, and Mexican oregano, or I'd just add cumin and a little Mexican oregano. Sometimes I use epazote, if I have any in the fridge. I always add salt at the end after the beans are cooked. :mrgreen: I typically use the quick soak method on the stovetop for pintos and Peruano beans. I usually saute the onion in the instant pot before adding the beans, water, and other seasonings, except salt. Since I soak for an hour, I generally cook pintos and Peruano beans 8 or 9 minutes in the Instant pot. You could go less if you prefer firmer beans.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: Peruano/Mayocoba/Canary beans

Postby patty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Sounds good. I will give them a try.

Mahalo, for posting... patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning