Clif Bars okay to eat?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Clif Bars okay to eat?

Postby webberamy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Does anyone know if the peanut butter Clif Bars are okay to eat on the forks over knives diet?
webberamy

Re: Clif Bars okay to eat?

Postby guitarplayer007 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:24 am

probably has oil in it
guitarplayer007

Postby sirdle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:42 am

I'm not familiar with the Forks over Knives diet.

Cliff makes several bars with peanut butter in them.

The 'Nut Butter' bar has:
Organic Peanut Butter, Organic Oat Flour, Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Date Paste, Organic Cane Syrup, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Pea Protein, Organic Rice Starch, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Organic Palm Oil, Organic Peanut Flour, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Organic Rice Flour, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Peanuts, Sea Salt, Sunflower Lecithin, Mixed Tocopherols (Antioxidant).

This must be a 'health food' with all those 'organic' ingredients! :-P

11 g fat (2.5 g saturated fat)
9 g sugar
160 mg sodium

230 calories
100 calories from fat = 43% fat :\
36 calories from sugar = 16% sugar :\

Almost 60% of the calories in this food provide no vitamins or minerals. :shock:

This food will jolt your system without filling you up, encouraging you to overeat. :roll:
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:06 am

I honestly wouldn't go near a clif bar, but my goals for myself may be very different from yours!

If you are trying to get healthier, then highly processed foods (even if they've got a picture of a climber on the package) may not be a good choice except for on extreme and rare occasions.

If you are trying to take a step in the right direction, by weaning yourself off of the junkiest foods available (trying to find something that will act as stand-in for calorie-rich-and-processed SAD foods, then Clif bars may be an OK stop along the way.

I would just add:
Do you know the acronym CRAP? It stands for calorie rich and processed. It is a good acronym to keep in mind, because most foods that are sold as vegan entrees and snacks, are exactly that. And very few people obtain any benefit from eating calorie rich and processed foods.

So, basically, let us know how far gone your diet WAS, and maybe we can help step you through some ways to make it better.

The thing that food companies WANT you to do, is fall for the health-washing of CRAP. Foods that contain peanut butter and sugar (oh, ahem, organic this and organic that), want you to think that your money is well-spent, and that you are well-served by these foods. But they won't fill you up, they won't nourish you in any real way -- these are just empty calories!

You can still eat clif bars if that is your choice, but they just may not get you to where you wanna go! :)
roundcoconut

Postby pundit999 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Cliff bars are definitely not good.
A much better alternative and seemingly compliant is LARA Bars. Most only contain dates for sweetness and nuts.
Calorie dense though. So not a good choice if you want to lose weight.
But it is a whole plants only product (at least for some bars such as the cashew cookie)
This paricular bar has just two ingredients: cashew and dates.

pundit999

Postby sirdle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:30 pm

pundit999 wrote:Cliff bars are definitely not good.
A much better alternative and seemingly compliant is LARA Bars. Most only contain dates for sweetness and nuts.
Calorie dense though. So not a good choice if you want to lose weight.
But it is a whole plants only product (at least for some bars such as the cashew cookie)
This paricular bar has just two ingredients: cashew and dates.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Jack Monzon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Clif Bars and the like should be consumed in dire/special situations only. I usually take one when I go on a really long hike. It's also good in a pinch, such as when at a really crappy airport.
Jack Monzon

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning