How much nutritional yeast is too much?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How much nutritional yeast is too much?

Postby Hal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 am

Hey guys. So i have to admit that a little Nutritional Yeast makes life a lot easier around the kitchen - at least my kitchen so far.
I may even be able to put some weight on now.

But i do not want to jeopardize my next doctor visit results - at all.
BP and cholesterol levels must be in the happy range on my next vist, and i am happy to avoid nutritional yeast if it can possible have even a slightly negative effect on BP or any other health factor. So I'm hoping someone can provide some information. Thanks.
Hal

Re: How much nutritional yeast is too much?

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Here's what Jeff Novick had to say awhile ago

Jeff, do you use nutritional yeast?
GeoffreyLevens

Postby roundcoconut » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Hal, it is honestly up to you how much nutritional yeast you decide to include.

It is always safe to put a conservative limit on how much you will use in any given day! One teaspoon per day sounds very reasonable.

However, if that is out of reach for you, then make a plan that seems doable, and stick to it!

The thing I notice with people is that some people never make any particular guidelines for themselves, and that doesn't always work out so well. So, if you say you would like to eat nutritional yeast at one meal a day, then you don't need to accept any bargaining or rationalizations from your darker side, about indulging in nutritional yeast at your other two meals. Like, if your darker side wants to argue with you: "But it's so good" and "But this'll go to waste if I don't it" blah blah blah.

If you decide to use nutritional yeast freely and unlimitedly as a starting point, then maybe draw a line on your jar and just NOTICE how much you're going through, and how quickly. If you are using obscene quantities by including it ab libitum, then you may wish to back off then.

Many different ways for you to approach this!
roundcoconut

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:14 pm

I have found myself turning up my nose on the notch lately. When I first tried it I loved it. My favorite thing to use it on is scrambled tofu (PPK recipe). But I have also tried some PPN prepared foods and starter kits recently that over did it on the nutritional yeast and since then it ahs been a turn off. YMMV.
katgirl55

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning