BBQ Barbecue Sauce

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

BBQ Barbecue Sauce

Postby Dougalling » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 am

I had ketchup but no BBQ sauce, so I made my own.

Ketchup + Smoked Paprika + Liquid Smoke.

You need to play with how much you like of each ingredient.
One drop of liquid smoke is all I need, you may like more.
Dougalling

Re: BBQ Barbecue Sauce

Postby guitarplayer007 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:59 am

I was wondering of we could use liquid smoke, I didn't see any oil in it. Sometimes I put a little on bean burgers
Ken
guitarplayer007

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 am

guitarplayer007 wrote:I was wondering of we could use liquid smoke, I didn't see any oil in it. Sometimes I put a little on bean burgers
Ken

I think it is compliant but at best it is a very highly processed flavor enhancer and basically a chemical extract of wood smoke i.e. "industrial bong water" and a suspected carcinogen. Opinions differ though
GeoffreyLevens

Postby guitarplayer007 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:19 pm

As Dr. McDougall would say it's probably not health food
guitarplayer007

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 pm

I use liquid smoke maybe once a week. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon in a pot of beans. I doubt it's harmful unless you're guzzling down gallons. I consider it a flavor-enhancing ingredient to be used sparingly, not a condiment, and certainly not a food group. Jill McKeever might disagree. :lol: Here's Dr. Greger's take http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/04/14/do ... se-cancer/
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby canadamike » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Jill McKeever is the one that got me onto making bbq sauce from ketchup, molasses, and liquid smoke. So easy to make. I will have to try adding some smoked paprika now and see if that enhances it even further.
canadamike

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:18 pm

I'd probably add some sweet, either molasses or brown sugar. And I'd add some onion, fresh minced or onion powder or flakes. And probably garlic. What's life without garlic? 8) It depends on the style of bbq sauce one likes. I probably lean toward Kansas City style bbq sauce. That's the last one described at this site: https://delishably.com/sauces-preserves/ribsrecipe I remember making a spicy bbq sauce once that included malt vinegar and either cayenne or pepper flakes. That was pretty good. I rarely use bbq sauce anymore, but I'm more inclined to buy it than make it.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning