Eating out: Veggie Fajitas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eating out: Veggie Fajitas

Postby BroccoliForever » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:27 am

Here's a tip.... if you are going to a Mexican restaurant, you can usually ask for the VEGGIE FAJITAS prepared with no oil. Also, ask for corn tortillas rather than the (wheat) flour tortillas (as many flour tortillas have fat in them, but corn tortillas do not). The refried beans may have oil in them, but many restaurants will likely have black beans prepared with no oil-- you just have to ask. Be sure to specify no cheese or sour cream as well and you have a tasty, complaint meal.
BroccoliForever

Re: Eating out: Veggie Fajitas

Postby Franchesca_S. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:21 am

This is a great idea. I go out with friends to a nearby Mexican restaurant for their Monday taco special. One week I ordered bean tacos and they were refried and probably had oil. The next week I tried the potato tacos and they were greasy leftover hashbrowns. This restaurant does not have black beans or whole pinto beans. From now on I will order veggie fajitas with corn tortillas.
Franchesca_S.

Re: Eating out: Veggie Fajitas

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 am

Definitely ask, but in my experience (likely because oil/lard costs money in a very tight margin business) most of the time Frijoles de la Olla are made fat free, just beans, water, a little salt, and maybe garlic and some herb(s). I have always reminded wait staff of veg cooking options by saying steam sautée, boiled, steamed, are all great. I have only struck out once in many restaurant visits getting either veg fajitas or veg burritos.
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning