Deviled potatoes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Deviled potatoes

Postby Vegankit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:01 pm

I often struggle with what to bring to pot luck dinners that will appeal to everyone, but is easy to pick up and eat and compliant. Deviled potatoes really fit the bill perfectly and everyone loved them.

There are plenty of vegan recipes available on the internet and I read them over. Ann Esselstyn and the Happy Herbivore have recipes for them.

In the end I boiled some baby Yukon gold potatoes (don't overcook them or they will fall apart and be tricky to work with). Cut them in half and scoop out the center and put in a bowl. I added approximately equal volume hummus and then spiced it up as I would for deviled eggs and mashed everything then loaded it back into the hollows. The one ingredient you should use is Indian black salt(Kala namak), the sulfur fools you into thinking it's made with egg. I also added granulated toasted onion, garlic and some Spanish paprika and dry mustard (Coleman's) exactly as I used to when I made them with eggs.

Line a plate with some greens and attractively display them - sprinkle with some garnish and watch them disappear.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Re: Deviled potatoes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm

I've never made them, and I don't know if I ever will. But High Carb Hannah recently did a video about them, if anyone's interested in seeing that. She uses 1 Tbsp cashew butter in her filling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TPKjwgg82s

I think if I ever did make them I'd definitely include some Indian black salt. And yellow mustard. When I used to make deviled eggs (seems like ages ago) they always had prepared neon yellow mustard. :mrgreen: Apple cider vinegar and a little bit of sugar would probably find their way into the mix, too. Sweet paprika would be sprinkled on top. That's more for color than anything.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Vegankit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Interesting - I would never have thought that people added sugar or maple syrup to their deviled potatoes (eggs) mixture.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Vegankit wrote:Interesting - I would never have thought that people added sugar or maple syrup to their deviled potatoes (eggs) mixture.

I guess it depends on what you like or grew up eating.

It's like the flavor difference between mayo and Miracle Whip. I always liked a little tangy-sweet flavor in deviled eggs and potato salad. A little sweet pickle relish would do it, too. In Hannah's recipe, I doubt one can taste the maple syrup, just a little sweet to offset the sour vinegar. It's no different than 321 dressings, which combine sour, sweet and mustard flavors.

I hear tell some people put horseradish or wasabi in deviled eggs/potatoes.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Vegankit » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:57 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:
Vegankit wrote:Interesting - I would never have thought that people added sugar or maple syrup to their deviled potatoes (eggs) mixture.

I guess it depends on what you like or grew up eating.

It's like the flavor difference between mayo and Miracle Whip. I always liked a little tangy-sweet flavor in deviled eggs and potato salad. A little sweet pickle relish would do it, too. In Hannah's recipe, I doubt one can taste the maple syrup, just a little sweet to offset the sour vinegar. It's no different than 321 dressings, which combine sour, sweet and mustard flavors.

I hear tell some people put horseradish or wasabi in deviled eggs/potatoes.
now it makes sense, I was always a real mayonnaise lover, either from scratch or Hellman's brand and hated Miracle Whip and I haven't had any luck making an acceptable compliant alternative. I envy those of you who loved Miracle Whip because there are recipes that mimic it fairly well.

And next time I'll try horseradish or wasabi because I can see it would add a nice "bite" to the filling like mustard does. Thanks for the idea, AlwaysAgnes.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Hal » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Intriguing. Sounds way better than what i've been eating. But i'm afraid toasted onion is beyond my experience, and i have none of the ingredients, and no idea where to get most of those things, but for the potatoes and garlic.

There are so many recipes to try and i need supplies to try almost any of them. i have no idea where to start, what i may or may not like, and it will be expensive to stock my kitchen ready for cooking all the recipes.
Hal

Postby Vegankit » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Hal wrote:Intriguing. Sounds way better than what i've been eating. But i'm afraid toasted onion is beyond my experience, and i have none of the ingredients, and no idea where to get most of those things, but for the potatoes and garlic.

There are so many recipes to try and i need supplies to try almost any of them. i have no idea where to start, what i may or may not like, and it will be expensive to stock my kitchen ready for cooking all the recipes.
Hal, the toasted onion is a spice that I buy from penzeys - we have a local store buy you can buy it on line. I love this spice - it truly smells and tastes like toasted onion and adds an extra depth of flavor to food. I sprinkle it into most recipes. But you can omit it. In fact if you buy store bought hummus (Whole Foods has Engine 2 Hummus and we have another oil free brand available locally) which has spices in it, you can simply mash the potato with equal amount of hummus and fill the potato and have something that is very tasty. Without the black salt which is found in all Indian grocery stores, it won't have that eggy flavor - but it will be delicious.

https://www.penzeys.com/

BTW I was thinking this is a great dish to serve during the upcoming Easter and Passover holidays.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby calvin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:23 pm

I tried these using tahini (ya don't need much and you don't want them tasting like plant butter anyway) and they're pretty darn good. They really improved with overnight refrigeration. Definitely reminded me of the real thing I enjoyed as a kid at get-togethers, etc. My first try was not quite as tangy as I'd like so i will be upping the mustard and/or vinegar in the next batch. And needed more pepper and more moisture in the filling. They might fool a blindfolded SADer but the color is a giveaway - white not white enough and "yolk" not yellow enough. A very filling appetizer. I wish I had my mom's recipe; too late. :-( She would have adopted this woe and would quite possibly still be alive.

As a carnivore, i never saw an egg dish i didn't like; But that was then and those days are over. Ever since being unable to finish watching that youtube of cruelly caged zero-range chickens, I can't ever do chicken again. But if I were to "feast", pretty much any egg dish might be tempting; so obviously not a hard-core vegan, me.
calvin

Postby Vegankit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Calvin, I'm glad you played around with this. Did you use the Indian black salt? That really makes it seem eggy.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby calvin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 pm

Vegankit wrote:Calvin, I'm glad you played around with this. Did you use the Indian black salt? That really makes it seem eggy.
Yeah, I looked around for it, none at Whole Foods, I thought "Himalayan Salt" might be it but that's pink, not black. It is definitely on my shopping list. I'll ask an Indian lady in yoga class tomorrow.

Edit -
Well, noodling around on the Internet, Amazon, and Wikipedia, it seems the Himalayan I bought at Whole Foods IS kala namak, so that 1/4 tsp I added did contribute, although my tastebuds/nostrils did not pick up a hint of sulphur. I will definitely be doing this recipe again, probly on the weekend. I will cook the potatoes a little longer this time for a more hardboiled eggwhite mouthfeel after refrigeration. Goin' for the Blue Ribbon! :mrgreen:

I always buy the cheapest mustard and mix in a bottle of horseradish for Poor Man's Grey Poupon, so I got the horseradish component handled. Putting sweet relish on the shopping list. Mine was a Miracle Whip family, slathered on Wonder Bread, BLTs, grilled cheese, balony sandwiches, hamburgers, hotdogs, and I was a happy camper. :crybaby: Hey, at least I didn't sit in front of the TV spooning it directly out of the jar. I love that tang. I hate the taste of mayo. Oh, well. Ghosts of Christmas past.

Note to self: Gotta stay off this Foods & Recipes board. 8)
calvin

Postby Vegankit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:36 am

calvin wrote:
Notes to self: Gotta stay off this Foods & Recipes board. 8)

Ha ha. I find it helps keep me fresh and on board finding new recipes and inspiration.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby judynew » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 am

They served those potatoes at the Remedy Food Event here in Toronto last summer. I've been meaning to make them ever since. This gives me new incentive. They were really delicious and more filling than deviled eggs.
judynew

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning