My journey to a happier, more healthy life

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My journey to a happier, more healthy life

Postby glo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:51 am

This is my Journal. I hesitate to begin writing, although my Journey began several years ago when my husband was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and his doctor wanted to do a heart catheterization to determine if there was a blockage. My husband was adamant that he did not want to have this done. Of course the doctor assured him that it was a commonly done procedure. My husband remained strong in his determination and I offered to do research. We discovered Dr. Esselstyn's book on Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease, and both my husband and I excitedly began eating healthy.
My husband, more strict than myself, lost a good deal of weight. In fact, the weight almost fell off his body. Friends asked if he was ill because he looked so thin, but he felt great. We stayed on program for about 6 months. Eventually though, we began taking just a bite of foods not on program, and sure enough, we ate more and more of the unhealthy foods. In time, we gave way to all the food temptations. And those foods called our names over and over.
As I continued to eat these unhealthy foods, my pre-diabetes progressed to full blown diabetes. In a state of negativity, I told myself it didn't make any difference, so why bother. And I continued to eat junk food followed by more junk food.
What I finally discovered was that no amount of junk food will fill the hole inside. I joined a food addiction group, hoping this would be the answer. And for a brief time, it did help. But eventually I allowed the "addicting" foods back into my diet. I felt hopeless again. This cycle repeated itself many times.
Long story short, I watched Dr. McDougall's webinars on Youtube, and other doctors like Dr. Barnard. And I began re-reading Dr. Esselstyn's book. Also I came across an interesting Youtube video about Spud Fit. The video is about a man who had depression and was overweight. This man, can't remember his name, ate only potatoes, and he was feeling so much better. Plus he was losing weight. Wow, now that piqued my interest. (His name is Andrew Taylor.)
So here I am. Eating mainly potatoes, beans, rice, corn, plus some veggies and fruits and whole grains. I feel better than I have for a long time. My mind is clearer, my emotions are more balanced, my energy levels are increasing, and I my tummy feels full. I don't feel like I'm starving. Life is good.
However, I have been on program for about 3 to 4 weeks now, and I'm beginning to feel a craving for those unhealthy foods. I don't know why this is happening, and it concerns me. The other night I just had to go to bed, because the craving got very strong.
My plan is to keep healthy foods in the house. Prepare foods that I enjoy. Have them readily available. Keep coming to this discussion group for support. Use the search engine here to read experiences of others. Keep watching the Youtube videos for suggestions on how to make healthy meals, etc.
The reason I started this Journal with the word "hesitate," is because of the number of times I have started and stopped a program of healthy eating. The feeling of failure grows with each failed attempt. But I appreciate the Albert Einstein quote, "Failure is success in progress."
I am so grateful for this forum. - glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Re: My journey to a happier, more healthy life

Postby glo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:05 am

Videos I watched yesterday, Dec 14:
Chef AJ interviews Dr. Doug Lisle (Nov 16, 2016)
Chef AJ and Dr. Goldhamer LIVE from Portland (Nov 7, 2016)

Note to myself.. I have watched countless videos by Dr McDougall, Dr Barnard, Etc, and now I am branching out. I thought I would start keeping track of the ones I watch.. as a reminder. This 70+ brain only retains so much information. But what a joy to be learning the wonderful benefits of this way of eating. Who says "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"?
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby mapat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:22 am

Sometimes when we've eating this way for awhile, we start feeling so much better, there is some part of us that figures, well, I'm doing so well, feeling so good, that one little bit of off-plan food won't really hurt...
but it does, maybe not with immediate or noticeable effects, but the negative effects are there. I too have to remind myself of this at times.

"in some people just one high-calorie shake was enough to make people with metabolic disease worse, while in others, relatively short periods of overeating trigger the beginnings of metabolic disease."

"Even one unhealthy snack has negative consequences that extend far beyond any pleasure it brings."
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-11-j ... bolic.html
mapat

Postby glo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:45 pm

mapat,
Thank you for your support. It's taking me a little time to learn my way around the forum. But I'm so glad to be here. Wow, that feels so good to say, and so much better than awhile back, when my thought was "I'll just eat all the junk I can until I just keel over." Not a pleasant thought.
When my grandson spends the night, we've been in the habit of letting him have frozen pizza. Of course he loves it, as do I. So last Monday night, he had pizza. It was extremely tempting to eat just one bite, but I didn't.
On top of that, my hubby bought home ice cream bars along with the pizza. Yikes! That just about did me in, but I went to bed instead so I wouldn't give in to temptation. There was nearly a whole box of 10 or 12 in my freezer. They were definitely calling my name.
So, I got out of bed and quickly ripped open each tempting ice cream bar... poured dish soap on it, and tossed them in the garbage bin outside. Whew. Now I'm wondering if just the smell and/or knowledge of having the junk in the house was enough to set off the cravings? - glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby sirdle » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:24 pm

glo wrote:This is my Journal. I hesitate to begin writing, although my Journey began several years ago when my husband was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and his doctor wanted to do a heart catheterization to determine if there was a blockage. My husband was adamant that he did not want to have this done. Of course the doctor assured him that it was a commonly done procedure. My husband remained strong in his determination and I offered to do research. We discovered Dr. Esselstyn's book on Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease, and both my husband and I excitedly began eating healthy.
~~~
My husband, more strict than myself, lost a good deal of weight. In fact, the weight almost fell off his body. Friends asked if he was ill because he looked so thin, but he felt great. We stayed on program for about 6 months. Eventually though, we began taking just a bite of foods not on program, and sure enough, we ate more and more of the unhealthy foods. In time, we gave way to all the food temptations. And those foods called our names over and over.
~~~
So here I am. Eating mainly potatoes, beans, rice, corn, plus some veggies and fruits and whole grains. I feel better than I have for a long time. My mind is clearer, my emotions are more balanced, my energy levels are increasing, and I my tummy feels full. I don't feel like I'm starving. Life is good.
~~~
However, I have been on program for about 3 to 4 weeks now, and I'm beginning to feel a craving for those unhealthy foods. I don't know why this is happening, and it concerns me. The other night I just had to go to bed, because the craving got very strong.
~~~
My plan is to keep healthy foods in the house. Prepare foods that I enjoy. Have them readily available. Keep coming to this discussion group for support. Use the search engine here to read experiences of others. Keep watching the Youtube videos for suggestions on how to make healthy meals, etc.
~~~
The reason I started this Journal with the word "hesitate," is because of the number of times I have started and stopped a program of healthy eating.

glo wrote:When my grandson spends the night, we've been in the habit of letting him have frozen pizza. Of course he loves it, as do I. So last Monday night, he had pizza. It was extremely tempting to eat just one bite, but I didn't.
On top of that, my hubby bought home ice cream bars along with the pizza. Yikes! That just about did me in, but I went to bed instead so I wouldn't give in to temptation. There was nearly a whole box of 10 or 12 in my freezer. They were definitely calling my name. So, I got out of bed and quickly ripped open each tempting ice cream bar... poured dish soap on it, and tossed them in the garbage bin outside. Whew. Now I'm wondering if just the smell and/or knowledge of having the junk in the house was enough to set off the cravings? - glo

Please discuss this with your husband. If you describe the temptation and how important this is to you, I'm sure he'll help you keep these foods out of the house. He may join you on your journey... or he may take your grandson out for a 'treat' when you aren't around.

My 'go-to' treat right now is a bowel of frozen blueberries, microwaved just enough so they are not hard but are still icy cold and a little crunchy. Hmmm. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby glo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you for the support. Can't think straight right now. My sister, who lives in an assisted living facility.. fell last night and broke her hip. She has so many health problems. She's in surgery right now. Younger than me by a few years, but so many things... breast cancer survivor, 3 or 4 heart attacks... and very severe diabetes, plus so much more. My heart hurts for her.
Her daughter phoned me to let me know she fell and is in the hospital. I live 800 miles away.
Now is NOT the time to regress in my eating program. Watching Chef AJ is helping a lot, because she so freely talks about being a food addict. And more and more, I'm beginning to understand the connection for some of us... and when she asked Dr. Goldhamer if she was "fixed" now (not her exact words)... and he adamantly said NO! You're a food addict. You can't cure that.
I guess I hoped it could be cured. *sigh*
I'm saying lots of prayers for my dear, sweet sister. - glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby sirdle » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:38 pm

glo wrote:Thank you for the support. Can't think straight right now. My sister, who lives in an assisted living facility.. fell last night and broke her hip. She has so many health problems. She's in surgery right now. Younger than me by a few years, but so many things... breast cancer survivor, 3 or 4 heart attacks... and very severe diabetes, plus so much more. My heart hurts for her.
Her daughter phoned me to let me know she fell and is in the hospital. I live 800 miles away.

I am so sorry to hear about your sister! It is always frustrating to be away from loved ones when difficulties strike. Hang in there!

I re-read your first post and I just wanted to say that success and failure are rarely black and white. I'm reminded of a quote by Winston Churchill (at least I think it was him):

"Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm". (W. Churchill)

What sometimes works for me is to set three goals: I think of them as bronze, silver, and gold goals.

A gold star for the week might be: exercise 6 days in a row for a minimum of 45 min each day.
A silver star might be: exercise 6 days at 30 minutes each day.
A bronze star might be: get off my butt and walk around the block at least once every day.

Each week I start off with the best of intentions of exercising hard, but I realize that life gets in the way; I often miss deadlines and have to shift my focus from one goal to another. But no matter what happens know that I can surely walk around the block!

This allows me to accomplish something... even if it isn't what I want most.

You might try that with your food choices. I'd make the goals positive rather than negative. Explain what you are going to DO each day... not what you aren't.

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby glo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Today is the 29th of December. This year has just flown by, and soon we will be seeing what 2017 brings! Never boring.
Update... my sister was in ICU for complications following the surgery to repair her hip. She fell in her little assisted living apartment and broke her hip. She "coded" 2 times in the recovery room, and when finally taken to ICU, she was unable to communicate or recognize her daughters. (We live 800 miles from where they live.)
My brother in law and wife drove us the 1600 miles round trip to the hospital so we could have short visits with my sister in ICU. The doctors didn't hold out much hope, and still say that her quality of life will be poor until she "passes." We are back home and it is hard not being there with the family. But we are so grateful for the love and care of her daughters.
On the topic of eating. Although it was a hectic trip there and back, my husband and I were very conscious of the things we ate. We were not always able to stay strictly to program, but we definitely avoided all snack foods and sugary foods and oils and of course animal products and dairy. What a good feeling to know I no longer use food to soothe. In the past, it was almost like I was a "slave" to food. It was my master. It demanded to be a part of my life.
In learning more about how foods affect the body and brain, I am not surprised that food used to "call" to me.
I'm so grateful for all the work done by Dr. McDougall, his wife, and the other doctors etc who are NOT afraid to speak out and tell the truth about what processed foods, dairy, and animal products, etc. do to us. And I'm so glad to be here on this support forum. - glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your sister.

I'm happy to hear you are doing well otherwise. :)
amandamechele

Postby glo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:48 am

Today is 10th day of January. Time flies. My sister is in rehab now. Amazing since our quick trip a few weeks ago was because she was so seriously ill in ICU. I haven't been able to talk with her. But I phoned the rehab facility and the nurse said she is doing fine. *sigh* I appreciate your thoughts and your post to send good thought. :)
Hubby and I are doing well on the McDougall program. Happier than ever. I have several of his books, but had not bought the one on Maximum Weight Loss. Finally got it and it is EXCELLENT! So I've ordered 2 more books to hare with family and a friend. My hubby is reading it out loud to me. That is so sweet, and I do love listening to him read.
POTATOES are my friend! *LOLOLOL* - glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby glo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 pm

January 18... and this month is already 1/2 over! Time flies.
My husband had his regular check up at the doctor and got a very good report. He was very happy... and his size 32 work pants are about to fall off! LOL I've seen a number on the scale that I haven't seen in almost 20 years! Lots of potatoes, greens, beans etc... We are eating very simple meals, but satisfying and nourishing. We are both still amazed, and wonder why don't more people eat this way?
Stress in the form of concern over grandchildren who are "acting out" in their teen years takes a toll on us, but we are not eating over it. Wow, what a change. Thank you so much Dr. McDougall for opening our eyes and providing us with a way of eating that is pleasurable and heathy. - glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby glo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 pm

A little emotional setback: who, besides me, gets all upset because they stopped making a glucose meter and strips? Well, it threw me for a loop and I'm in the process of finding another glucose monitoring system to use. So many to choose from. How to decide? Just trial and error I guess. But I'm sure I'll find just the one.
Onward with my whole foods plant-strong starch-based wonderful way of eating!
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby glo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:16 am

Today is March 15, 2017
It's so nice to come to this forum and see everyone who is here posting and continuing their journeys in this healthy way of eating. And kudos to Dr. McDougall for sharing all the information he has found and for doing the webinars. I enjoy watching those so much. They are very encouraging.
I apologize for not responding to ones who post replies. But I really do appreciate it.
The rash that has been extremely irritating is finally getting better, but three doctor visits and they could not identify the cause of this very itchy rash. Now some areas of the rash actually hurt. I have had shingles in the past, but this is different. Or maybe shingles can be different one time and the next time you get it, it's different? I don't know.
I'm thankful that the rash is on the side of my body (although some spots appear on the other side also), and the doctors said it is not contagious.
I asked if it could be from stress? The answer was yes, it could be. But no definitive answer. I do know that my stress level has been off the charts for over four weeks now. And I'm not sure what's causing that. The only thing I can figure out is that I had expended too much emotional energy and therefore my immune system was weakened, leaving me open to this skin rash.
So in my attempt to keep my emotions more level, I am researching Aromatherapy and Essential OIls. I find that keeping my mind busy helps. My journey continues....
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby glo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:00 pm

Am I the only one??? I stick strictly to Dr.McDougall’s WOE (way of eating)... then wham...life happens... I go into a terrible state of worry and despair, and I begin slowly to stray from the path... and in short time, I’m back in the SAD... and have lapsed into a state of “insanity” (doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result)...
THEN, I struggle to get back on track.
Any suggestions? Or am I just a lost cause, and need to give myself a PITY PARTY?
- Glo
glo

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Nope, you are not alone. And every time you stop and start you learn something new.
Keep working on making the good stuff easier, and the bad stuff harder.
Every little bit of health makes you better than not having that little bit.
Dont compare yourself to others. Your personality and situation is unique to you.
Some people just find it more difficult than others.
I like Doug Lisle, Chef AJ and Andrew Taylor on this subject.
Andrew Talyor had a podcast, Doug Lisle has a podcast,
Rip Esselstyn did an entire podcast series helping a NYC firefighter who had started and quit many times.
michaelswarm

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning