How Stop Crying When Dicing Onions: A Candle

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How Stop Crying When Dicing Onions: A Candle

Postby Thrasymachus » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:55 am

I was watching a Greek tv show Υγεία πάνω απ' όλα months back and they had a segment where they suggested that if you cry when chopping onions, just light a candle and it will prevent you from crying.

As someone who has great problems dealing with onions, I have tried it while chopping only one onion, though, and it seems to work for me. For some reason I haven't chopped multiple onions in a while. Even if it doesn't work, almost everyone has a candle already, they are cheap, and even if you don't have one, you should for blackouts. It literally costs almost nothing in money, effort and time to try and it could greatly alleviate crying and irritation.
Thrasymachus

Re: How Stop Crying When Dicing Onions: A Candle

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:10 am

Bump.

Yeah I have tried this with a crazy amount of candles and it doesn't work.

I really sucks when you love onions but chopping them makes you cry and have an allergic reaction. One day I am going to maul myself and I am surprised I can even chop anything when after I try to chop like 2 onions. Pure torture.
Thrasymachus

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:12 am

I too suffer from major crying when cutting onions. I have to wear goggles/glasses or just use pre-chopped/frozen onions.

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:52 am

I have heard of making sure you don't talk, in otherwords, keep your mouth closed. But that doesn't seem to help. Maybe it will for some.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:17 pm

My mother's trick was to hold a book of matches between her lips with the match heads exposed when she chopped onions. I've tried it. It works. Another thing that work is to refrigerate your onion before you chop it. But, sometimes you don't have time to do that, and onions should not generally be stored in the refrigerator.

If you have to chop or slice a lot of onions, nothing beats a good food processor. Or you could wear goggles sold for that purpose in some kitchen shops.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Wow, Vanilla Orchid, if it were April 1, I'd think that the matchbook fix would be a joke--Ha! Ha!
Now where to find a book of matches? Not like the old days where restaurants, etc. gave them away as an advertisement.
Mom+Me

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Mom+Me wrote:Wow, Vanilla Orchid, if it were April 1, I'd think that the matchbook fix would be a joke--Ha! Ha!
Now where to find a book of matches? Not like the old days where restaurants, etc. gave them away as an advertisement.

We're in the process of a kitchen remodel, and I'm having to clean out a whole lot of drawers and old stuff. Today, I found a book of matches from my cousin's wedding with the bride and grooms' names on them.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:38 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:
Mom+Me wrote:Wow, Vanilla Orchid, if it were April 1, I'd think that the matchbook fix would be a joke--Ha! Ha!

We're in the process of a kitchen remodel, and I'm having to clean out a whole lot of drawers and old stuff. Today, I found a book of matches from my cousin's wedding with the bride and grooms' names on them.

The kitchen remodel may not be too much fun right now, but I'm sure it'll be nice making your McDougall meals in a new, improved kichen! :nod:

I'm glad you found a book of matches! Just wondering what year or even decade they were married?!
Mom+Me

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:52 am

Mom+Me wrote:
Vanilla Orchid wrote:

The kitchen remodel may not be too much fun right now, but I'm sure it'll be nice making your McDougall meals in a new, improved kichen! :nod:

I'm glad you found a book of matches! Just wondering what year or even decade they were married?!

There is no date on the match book, but I think it was about 10 years ago.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:There is no date on the match book, but I think it was about 10 years ago.

Thanks! Interesting...so it definitely wasn't that long ago in terms of smoking already being looked upon as a negative and being banned in most indoor places. Then again I think it was right around then when laws were being inacted, and of course usually very from state to state. And it also depends if the couple were/are smokers.
Mom+Me

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:52 pm

Mom+Me wrote:
Vanilla Orchid wrote:There is no date on the match book, but I think it was about 10 years ago.

Thanks! Interesting...so it definitely wasn't that long ago in terms of smoking already being looked upon as a negative and being banned in most indoor places. Then again I think it was right around then when laws were being inacted, and of course usually very from state to state. And it also depends if the couple were/are smokers.

the couple were not smokers. But they had big long sparklers at the reception and we all lit them.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:28 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:
Mom+Me wrote:

the couple were not smokers. But they had big long sparklers at the reception and we all lit them.

Ahh...makes sense. Sounds interesting and a very beautiful time; thanks for sharing!
Mom+Me

Postby slupen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:24 am

The simplest way to address the crying onion syndrome.

Cut off each top and bottom end of the onion first.

Cut in half, peel it (or just peel right away if want onion rings).

Dice as per normal. The agent causing the crying is in the root bit.

I eat a tremendous amount of onions and don't suffer this issue (almost never) using those very simple steps.

Eat safely!
slupen

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:45 am

slupen wrote:The simplest way to address the crying onion syndrome.

I eat a tremendous amount of onions and don't suffer this issue (almost never) using those very simple steps.

Eat safely!

Hello slupen,

Thank you for the information and tip, I'll have to try that. I'm fortunate that I am not super sensitive, but do have the problem on occasion.

Welcome to the Discussion Board! :)
Mom+Me

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:52 pm

slupen wrote:The simplest way to address the crying onion syndrome.

Eat safely!

I tried this yesterday as I chopped a large rather strong onion. It didn't work. Perhaps it depends on the type of onion.
Vanilla Orchid

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning