Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cabbage pressure cooker soup

Postby StarchHEFP » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am

Ingredients:
about 2 lbs of cabbage, coarsely chopped
2 to 3 medium carrots, chopped
3-4 celery stems, chopped
3 to 5 small new potatoes, washed, unpeeled
tomato sauce - about 1 cup
(optional) - 1/2 medium or 1 small red onion, chopped

place all the above ingredients into pressure cooker, adding water to cover the mixture. Season as desired (cumin optional), bring to boil, place cover and bring to pressure for about 3-5 minutes, depending how mashed you like your cabbage. Turn off pressure cooker, and let it stew until it cools and releases pressure on its own. Serve with rice or flatbread, garnish with cilantro and squeeze of lime juice.
StarchHEFP

Re: 3-ingredient recipes

Postby Starchy and Much » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:52 am

Clary wrote:I have these few saved from the old board. I wish I had saved them all as they were posted. --just thought they would always be available.
Maybe you can find some of the older ones here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070301000000*/http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums
Starchy and Much

Re: 3-ingredient recipes

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Starchy and Much wrote:
Clary wrote:I have these few saved from the old board. I wish I had saved them all as they were posted. --just thought they would always be available.

It's still there, there just aren't any direct links to the pages on the VegSource menus:

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/mcdougall/index1.html for the first page

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/mcdougall/index2.html - the other page

Even the old chat board, McDougall Friends is still there:

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/mcdfriends/index.html

You can see how old it is by the photo of the three Nelson kids - How YOUNG they were!
VeggieSue

Re: Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Postby JillinMI » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:10 pm

I have a hard time ditching the e.v. olive oil, but made this for lunch and didn't miss the oil. It reminds me of one of my favorite Greek recipes that uses a ton of olive oil. Amounts of each ingredient can be easily adjusted. Served 1.

Lemony Garlic Garbanzos & Broccoli

garbanzo beans (chickpeas), canned/cooked, between 1/2 cup and 1 cup (I used 1/2 can of Eden)
broccoli florets, frozen, a 10 ounce bag
garlic, 1 clove (or more) pressed/minced/whatever
lemon juice (the amount from about a 1/2 of a lemon)
***optional*** salt, which I do use

Put the frozen broccoli in a large non-stick pan, cover, and cook on medium heat for maybe 5-10 minutes. Remove cover and put a little water in pan, add garlic, and stir it around with the broccoli. Heat until the garlic smells wonderful, then, add the beans to the pan just long enough to warm them up. Take pan off heat and squeeze the lemon juice over it. This can be eaten warm or cold. Optional salt can be added whenever you normally add your salt.

If at anytime it starts looking a little dry add a little water, and stir.

Of course you could try with any frozen, or fresh veggies, and beans. I had thought of doing this with frozen hash brown potatoes instead of the beans. Next time.
Last edited by JillinMI on Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JillinMI

Postby iowamv » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:00 pm

My wife makes a pasta salad consisting of pasta, Marzetti slaw dressing, green onions... I know, the slaw dressing makes my arteries groan. 15g of fat in 2 Tbsp! :shock: Looks something like this: http://recipeofhealth.com/recipe/cucumb ... d-446216rb

So tonight, I was making WW pasta and wondering what I could put on it, aside from marinara (I'm trying to lay off tomato products for a couple of weeks). So I put a healthy dollop of Mary's Tofu Mayo on a bowl of the pasta, with some minced onion and some mixed veggies. I added just a touch of sugar to approximate the taste of my wife's salad. Tastes great to me! Her recipe calls for chilling the salad, and I suspect this would be better chilled as well.

I also subbed vinegar for the lemon juice in the mayo recipe, and I think I like that variation, maybe better than the original.
iowamv

Postby noelalexis2000 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Sounds good! We like to make pasta and mix cilantro pesto with the pasta and then add broccoli and peas to the mix. We really like this for a change. I make my own cilantro pesto but you could use basil pesto as well. I got my recipe from Forks Over Knives cookbook for the pesto. I love tomatoes but they do cause me a little trouble if I eat to many so understand your need for a change!
noelalexis2000

Postby JillinMI » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:16 pm

This may sound gross but it was surprisingly good.

Cooked Sweet Potato
Cantaloupe cut in chunks

Place sweet potato on plate and mash it with a fork. Place the cantaloupe on top, and eat.

Next time I'll try adding some thinly sliced green onion (scallions), or sweet onions such as vidalia, and in a nod to Dr. McDougall a drizzle of Sriracha on top. I makes me think of when you get cut up mangoes with chili powder sprinkled on top--sweet & spicy.

Chocolate Oatmeal (I got this idea from Dr. Garth Davis' facebook page)

Place rolled oats in a bowl with 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder, and moisten all with a bit of milk-alternative. Cover and place in frig overnight. The next morning you can add something to sweeten it, such as maple syrup, minced dates, or mashed up banana. If using dates it is probably best to put them in the bowl the night before with the other ingredients, to give them time to soften, and better meld with the oat mixture. If it is too dry either add more milk-alternative, or water.

Jill
JillinMI

Postby Purplefish » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:42 am

Shaved brussel sprouts, pan roasted, lemon juice, parsly and half-moon'd delicata squash, roasted first. I think that's 4 ingredients - but the lemon juice is like a condiment, and so I thought I'd share. It was delish. :)
If you work it, it will work.
Purplefish

Postby Neko » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Ingredient list
1kg potatoes
800g or 1kg carrots
liquid smoke sauce (e.g. Colgin Mesquite, etc. )
spices

Peel 1 kg potatoes and 800g (or also 1 kg) carrots, cut them into chunks and bring to a boil in a closed pan. (+- 25 mins)

Add liquid smoke sauce while cooking.

Use a soup ladle to pour some of the cooking water into a measuring cup. (~300 ml)
The rest of the water in the pan can be poured off.

Now take a potato masher, pound potatoes and carrots by adding some of the water in the measuring cup.
Now you can spice up with liquid smoke sauce, some pepper, some paprika powder and grated nutmeg.

You can cook this meal with green beans instead of carrots as well.
Neko

Postby Neko » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Ingredient list
125g rice
1 tsp harissa paste
2-3 big smoked paprika
spicy tomato sauce

Bring rice to a boil and cut the paprika into chunks.
Add the harissa paste to the rice water, wait 1-2 mins, add the chunked paprika, simmer until the rice has absorbed most of the water.
Now stir in the tomato sauce and let again simmer for 5 more minutes.

This creates a really easy, spicy and smoky rice stew.
Neko

Postby Neko » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:24 am

Ingredient list

125g Quinoa
200g Giant white beans
1 Tbsp spicy spread of your choice

Clean the quinoa under water. Add quinoa and water (always water = double quantity as quinoa) into a saucepan and let it simmer for +- 25 mins. Rinse the beans under water, add them with a little bit of water into another pan and let it simmer as well.
Put the beans to the quinoa after 25 mins, add the tablespoon of spicy spread (I used chili - pepper) and let the spread slowly melt with stirring. Bon appétit! :D
Neko

Postby frozenveg » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:32 am

Neko wrote:Ingredient list

125g Quinoa
200g Giant white beans
1 Tbsp spicy spread of your choice

Clean the quinoa under water. Add quinoa and water (always water = double quantity as quinoa) into a saucepan and let it simmer for +- 25 mins. Rinse the beans under water, add them with a little bit of water into another pan and let it simmer as well.
Put the beans to the quinoa after 25 mins, add the tablespoon of spicy spread (I used chili - pepper) and let the spread slowly melt with stirring. Bon appétit! :D

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "spicy spread?" Is it just a mix of the two spices? How is it going to melt? (We don't consume any oil, margarine's, or substitute margarine.)
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Neko » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:16 am

I didn't know how to translate it the best way, sorry. I found a vegan spread for bread in the grocery without added oils and thought this would be okay. I prefer a spicy taste, so I have chosen chili-pepper. But they had avocado and tomato-basil as well. :)
Neko

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:40 am

Neko wrote:I didn't know how to translate it the best way, sorry. I found a vegan spread for bread in the grocery without added oils and thought this would be okay.

List the ingredients of the spread, please. That'll help no matter what it's called. :nod:
VeggieSue

Postby Neko » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:15 am

VeggieSue wrote:
List the ingredients of the spread, please. That'll help no matter what it's called. :nod:

-chili (Piri Piri)
-red bell pepper
-tomatoes
-dried tomatoes
-leek
-spices: cayenne, chili flakes, garlic
Neko

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning