Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Postby JuicerJohn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:13 pm

1 Medium Yam
1 Plantain
Diced Tomatoes, or tomato sauce
Curry Powder

Steam, bake, or nuke the yam and cut into chunks.

Cut the ends off the plantain, slit the peel lengthwise, but not to the ends. Nuke for 3 minutes, then peel and slice.

Combine yam and plantain in a bowl and add the diced tomato. Then add curry powder, mix and reheat to serving temperature in the microwave.

This was almost an accidental recipe, but I had it today for lunch and loved it!

BTW, with a medium/large yam this should easily be two servings worth.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby JuicerJohn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Breakfast for the next two mornings:

1 Medium Yam
1 Medium Sweet Potato
i Plantain
1/2 t Cinnamon

Cook the potatoes and plantain to firm doneness, let cool, then cut into bite size chunks. Place chunks in a bowl and sprinkle cinnamon over them. Mix.

Makes two servings
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby viv » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:47 pm

I had Quick Kale Italiano for my dinner tonight. Delish!

1 Portion

Kale (as much as you want)
1-2 Potatoes (your favorite kind)
1 cup oil free marinara sauce

Steam chopped Kale, fresh or frozen.
Nuke 1 large or 2 smaller potatoes in microwave for about 5 mins
When kale is cooked, add to the pot, cooked cubed potatoes and one cup of your favorite oil free marina sauce.

Heat, stir and enjoy! So filling! So delicious! So easy! So good for you!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby howardt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Eggplant Salad (Peasant Caviar)

1 medium eggplant
1 teaspoon of cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of diced onion

Optional additions - parsley, diced bell peppers, tomatoes, anything sweet & crunchy.

Grill or broil eggplant on all 4 sides, about 5-7 minutes per side. When done, the eggplant should collapse.

Cut the hot eggplant vertically, from below the stem to the bottom. Place cut side down in a colander over a bowl and allow to drain as it cools.

When the eggplant is at room temperature, discard the juices, skin and stem. Place the cooked eggplant in a bowl and shred or cut up with a knife and fork until the consistency of porridge. Stir in the vinegar, onion and optional items.

Chill before serving. 1 medium eggplant serves 2 - 3 people as a side dish.
Let's go invent tomorrow, rather than worrying about what happened yesterday.
-- Steve Jobs
howardt

Postby SweetPea » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:23 pm

For a quick snack:

Yukon Gold Tater, microwaved and cut in half
Sprinkled lightly with garlic & curry powder

For a quick meal:

Prep a few of these taters and serve with seasoned steamed veggies.

Delicious and too simple. :)
~♥~ It's never too late to go after what you want. ~♥~
SweetPea

Hungarian green bean stew with a twist

Postby grid » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:22 am

I want to share a traditional Hungarian recipe how I make it (it's faaaaaaaar from the original recipe, but it's healthier and tastes almost same).

1 lb fresh (yellow) green bean cleaned, cut
water
2 tbsp chickpea flour (or wheat, but I'm GF)
4 cloves garlic
salt to taste

Put the beans into a pot, cover with water and cook, until the bean is almost done.

Put some of the cooking water, the flour and the garlic into a blender, and blend it till smooth. Put the flour mixture back to the pot, stir it in, then let it boil for about 5 mins (or till the flour is cooked). Done.

Traditionally it's served with eggs or a slice of roasted meat, but I eat it on top of rice or with some dry roasted veggies.

If you can get salt free canned green beans, the recipe is even easier, because you heat the whole up, blend some of the liquid with the garlic and flour, put the mixture back to the pot, boil it for 5 mins, and serve. In this case it's less then 10 mins to get it ready to eat.

Hope you'll like it

Take care
grid
grid

Postby HomeHealthRN » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Apple Brown Rice
1 box of instant brown rice
1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce
several apples, diced
It took 10 minutes. Boil water according to directions on box. Dice apples while water comes to a boil. Add apples and rice and soy sauce. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook until done. I used lymans large apples, they're crisp, sweet and spicey.
HomeHealthRN

Postby grid » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:51 am

I'm just making a "pie" with this crust:

http://www.veganricha.com/2013/11/cauliflower-broccoli-masala-pie-with.html

I've just tasted after mixing all the ingredients and I think it's a delicious, filling dish on its own too, even without baking it :-D

I used home grown oregano and basil as herbs, otherwise it's exactly the same as in the original recipe.
grid

Postby howardt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Baked apple:

Rome apples
Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Core the apples, but not all the way through the bottom. Just use a spoon to scoop out the core and seeds.
With a peeler or paring knife remove the skin from the top inch of the apple.

Place apples in a baking dish. I can fit 4 apples in an 8"x8" dish. Sprinkle cinnamon on top and inside the apples.

Cover with aluminum foil (if concerned about aluminum, cover the apples first with parchment paper and then with aluminum foil). Bake for about an hour. Check after 45 minutes. When a fork doesn't meet resistance they're done.
Let's go invent tomorrow, rather than worrying about what happened yesterday.
-- Steve Jobs
howardt

Tomato / Potato Curry

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Tomato / Potato Curry:
Ingredients:
(1) either Yukon Gold or Red new potatoes (with skin) - about 2 lbs or so
(2) low sodium V8 juice (2 cans) and/or Canned Tomato sauce
(3) Curry powder or Garam Masala
(4) Cumin

Wash potatoes and place in pressure cooker, cover with the low sodium V8 juice and/or canned tomato sauce. Add the spices including the cumin and curry powder. Place heat on medium-high until boiling, cover pressure cooker, and bring to pressure for about 3 minutes, then shut off the heat. Let cool down until pressure releases, about 20-30 minutes. Make sure potatoes are fork-tender, and serve with some brown/white basmati rice, or whole grain pita bread.

Variations: can add onion-ginger-garlic paste that has been roasted, and blended silken tofu or blended soaked cashews to make it more creamy (will add some fat and protein though). This will make it "Dum Aloo style". Can garnish with chopped cilantro at serving time.
Last edited by StarchHEFP on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarchHEFP

Postby eaufraiche703 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:36 pm

mmmmmmmmmmm!

thanks, starchHEFP - this sounds so good!!!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

wheat and potato breakfast hash ("Upma")

Postby StarchHEFP » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 am

wheat and potato breakfast hash - based on an Indian dish called "Upma" which is usually made with cream of wheat and some veggies, served with toast, Indian pickles, and tea for breakfast, or as a meal
ingredients:
1) 3-4 small red or yukon gold potatoes (or fingerling) - diced
2) frozen peas, about 1/4 cup
3) Bulgur wheat about 1/2 cup dry (a Turkish whole wheat product in which the wheat has been broken up and parboiled)
4) onions, about 2 tbsp chopped

first, stir fry the onions (no oil) until they leave off water under medium heat, next add the potatoes, and dry-roast them in the pan until they change color. Then, add the frozen peas and the bulgur wheat, stirring while the wheat roasts and the frozen peas melt. Add about 1 cup of water, let the water boil on higher heat, then cover and place heat to medium while the Bulgur wheat expands, and forms kind of a "porridge", about 15 minutes. The potatoes will get nice and soft during this time also. Uncover the pan, stir the mixture until some of the water evaporates, and serve and enjoy! Garnish with maybe a tablespoon of peanuts or slivered almonds, squeezed lime juice, and chopped cilantro or green chutney. Salt to taste (optional).
Last edited by StarchHEFP on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarchHEFP

tomato / potato curry

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:23 pm

StarchHEFP wrote:Tomato / Potato Curry:
Ingredients:
(1) either Yukon Gold or Red new potatoes (with skin) - about 2 lbs or so
(2) low sodium V8 juice (2 cans) and/or Canned Tomato sauce
(3) Curry powder or Garam Masala
(4) Cumin

Wash potatoes and place in pressure cooker, cover with the low sodium V8 juice and/or canned tomato sauce. Add the spices including the cumin and curry powder. Place heat on medium-high until boiling, cover pressure cooker, and bring to pressure for about 3 minutes, then shut off the heat. Let cool down until pressure releases, about 20-30 minutes. Make sure potatoes are fork-tender, and serve with some brown/white basmati rice, or whole grain pita bread.

Variations: can add onion-ginger-garlic paste that has been roasted, and blended silken tofu or blended soaked cashews to make it more creamy (will add some fat and protein though). This will make it "Dum Aloo style". Can garnish with chopped cilantro at serving time.

I had some of the above recipe left over, and I also had some leftover roasted eggplant that was plainly roasted in the oven. After mixing them together, I discovered a delicious combination! In India, it is called "Aloo baingan" and quite yummy. I suppose that eggplant could be either added at the end after being roasted separately, or cut up and pressure cooked with the potatoes. Try it sometime!
Last edited by StarchHEFP on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarchHEFP

Green salsa / chutney

Postby StarchHEFP » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:32 am

Green salsa / chutney:

(1) 2 tomatillos
(2) 1 bunch cilantro
(3) 1 slice of fresh pineapple
(4) juice of 1 lime

Optional add-in: (5) 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper (sliced in half and de-seeded) for extra kick - not for the weak

Take above ingredients and puree without adding water, go for a paste consistency
enjoy as a sauce with your potatoes, rice, or beans! or use it to dip your steamed veggies in, or top your burritos or tacos with it. Goes with Mexican or Indian dishes too!
StarchHEFP

Patties with masa, potato, and spinach

Postby StarchHEFP » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:30 am

Breakfast (or anytime!) patties - the proportions might be off because I am going off memory, but use your judgement
ingredients:
boiled new potatoes (2 to 3)
raw spinach, chopped (about 1 cup)
Maseca flour (made from nixtamalized corn) - about 3/4 cup
(optional) onions - about 1/2 cup chopped

Mash and mix all the above ingredients together, and forming into patties that are flat and round - about 1/2 inch thick, and about 4-5 inches in diameter. Place on medium-high heat on grill or griddle, cooking each side until golden and hot inside, pressing into pan with spatula as needed (no oil required)

Serve with salsa or chopped cilantro or even ketchup (makes about 3-4 patties)
StarchHEFP

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning