Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Postby MINNIE » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:39 am

WINTER SQUASH TACOS - three ingredients, 30 seconds!

I wanted a quick meal. I had some steamed winter squash, sprouted corn tortillas and green salsa in the fridge. I heated the squash and tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then added the salsa. It was really good

This is so easy it's almost embarassing. But it's how I roll :)..
MINNIE

Postby moonspirit » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:47 pm

I'd been kind of dreading making mushrooms without oil. But I dove in this evening, and they're actually great.

Ingredients:
A bunch of Crimini Mushrooms (probably a half-gallon - I got them for free after a retreat), halved
Half a yellow onion, cut in short strips
red wine vinegar
Braggs liquid aminos

Heated up some water on the stove in my cast-iron skillet. Added the onions and cooked for a minute or two, then added mushrooms, a splash of vinegar (probably 1-2 tablespoons) and a splash of Braggs (1-2 tbsp). Stir, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring again half way through.

So yummy. And now I know I can do it! I used to cook it in coconut oil and add toasted sesame oil at the end. I enjoy these just as much without any oil. WooT!
moonspirit

Postby Idgie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:51 pm

New to this thread, but here are some of the simple foods I eat and like.

I make bean soup sometimes by just throwing a can of beans (any kind, even fat-free refried), a can of salsa or diced tomatoes, and either water or vegetaable stock in a pot, bring to a boil, simmer 10-15 minutes, and serve. It's good with baked tortilla chips.

V-8 is something I don't drink on MWL, but when I'm doing regular McDougall, I heat it as a quick tomato-veg soup to have with a sandwich.

Bruschetta: Toast rounds of wheat French bread. Top with chopped tomatoes mixed with basil and garlic. Best with fresh tomatoes, but canned works, too.

Blend 2 potatoes and 1 carrot with a little nutritional yeast, a little lemon juice, and just enough water to blend for a vegan "cheese sauce."

Fave lentil soup is 1 cup dry lentils, 1 chopped carrot, and 2 cloves minced garlic. Optional: a chopped onion. Cover it all with 3-4 cups water, bring to a boil, turn down heat, simmer 20-30 minutes.

Super-easy soup that's good cold or hot: 1 can vegetable broth, 1 can sliced new potatoes (drained), 1/4 cup frozen peas. I pack this for lunch a lot, and sometimes I season it with Fox Point or another seasoning. I used to use Knorr cilantro cubes, but I think they have some oil in them, so I don't do them anymore.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 am

Quesadilla Style

This is fast and yummy. Kind of a comfort food for me. Five ingredients, but still so simple.

2 corn tortillas
Refried beans
garlic and chili powder
diced green chilies
Nooch yeast

Heat a skillet.

spread refried beans on one tortilla. Sprinkle with seasonings. Spread 1/2 tsp diced green chilies over it. Sprinkle w. 1/2 TBSP Nooch yeast. Cover with second tortilla. Put on heated skillet and cook until beginning to brown. Flip and cook other side until beginning to brown. Cut in quarters. Serve with salsa.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby laugenstein » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:26 pm

My really quick and easy go to dish is beans and rice with corn.

2 c. rice
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. frozen corn, thawed
16 oz jar of salsa
4 oz. can of green chili

Combine in a suitable baking dish. Mix well. Bake at 350F until bubbly hot. I like to stir the mixture up after about 15 min. in the oven.
laugenstein

Postby Susan5 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Air Fried Caramelized Bananas

Cut bananas in half inch slices. Air fry on parchment paper @ 375 degrees for approximately 10-15 minutes. Flip bananas part way through cooking, sprinkle with cinnamon (opt), and finish cooking bananas until they are caramelized.
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
~ You can't let go while still trying to hold on.
~ Focus on less...less desire, less obsession, less holding on.
~ "Learn to care less about food."
Susan5

Re: More Jan Tz 3-ingredient recipes

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:38 am

VeggieSue wrote:This is what I found in my Cardfile of Jan's 3 or 4 ingredient meals that I saved throughout the years.
APPLE BUTTERED YAMS

3 large yams or sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup apple butter

Cut the yams into small chunks. Spray a pan with non-stick, and add yams and garlic. Add 3 cups water, along with pepper to taste. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Add the apple butter. Stir gently to mix. Cook uncovered another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the yams are completely cooked.

apologies for being nit-pickety but if this is being cooked on the stove top why the spray with non-stick?

Kx
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Re: More Jan Tz 3-ingredient recipes

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:52 am

KatherineUK wrote:
apologies for being nit-pickety but if this is being cooked on the stove top why the spray with non-stick?

Kx

I just copy/pasted Star McDougaller Jan's recipe. This was back in the early 1990's, when even Mary McDougall occasionally said to use a non-stick spray, even recommended Boca Burgers and vegan chocolate chips in some recipes. Obviously nowadays no sprays, no vegan chips and certainly no Boca Burgers.
VeggieSue

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:25 am

frozenveg wrote:For each person:
1 fresh zucchini (grocery store size, not garden!)

Rereading a lot of older threads lately and came across this and just had to laugh out loud for real!

The other day my brother and I hit the grocery store near his house while my husband was in dialysis and I needed a zucchini for a meal I plan on making this week. I took a quick glance around the produce department and couldn't find zucchini. Now I KNOW they had to be there somewhere and he pointed out this tiny section of an upper shelf with these itty bitty zucchinis maybe 4 to 6 inches long. I said I don't want "baby" zucchini but regular sized ones.He said this IS regular sized! My local grocery store back home sells these nice big ones, marked as locally grown, and they're always 8-12 inches long. You know, garden-sized! I bought 3 of those tiny ones to equal one zucchini the size I'm used to having.
VeggieSue

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning