Can I cook beets in the slow cooker?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can I cook beets in the slow cooker?

Postby babybuddha » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:16 am

I've been buying whole, fresh, raw skin-on beetroot. They are quite clean and have been topped and tailed. I've been steaming them whole in a steel steamer over a pan of boiling water, and find that they take an age and quite a bit of elec.

My question is, is there a way to cook whole beetroot in the slowcooker? I found one suggestion to wrap each beet individual in foil; another person filled the pot with water and did it that way.

Has anyone tried either of the above; or can offer any alternative suggestions? I would prefer to cook 'dry'. All ideas and comments gratefully welcomed :)

Thanks!
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Re: Can I cook beets in the slow cooker?

Postby patty » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:52 am

I imagine both ways would work. Though I would wrap in parchment paper first then foil. It probably protects them from absorbing too much water as that is what happened when I have cooked Okinawa sweet potatoes and potatoes in a slow cooker. Now I just steam, I found out that worked out best. I purchased a good steaming pot. And it takes about 20 minutes or longer depending on the amount/ contents

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby JuicerJohn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:24 am

I haven't tried this, but if I were doing beets in the slow cooker I would do it the same way as I do potatoes, with no water at all.

For a cooker full of potatoes I allow 6-8 hours, depending on size. I imagine beets would cook to tender oneness in a similar time.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby babybuddha » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks John and Patty :) I will take a deep breath and just put them whole into the empty pot; as sweet potato method.

Getting a slow cooker when I started this WOE has been a real gamechanger: quiet and gentle cooking really suits me and I have the patience for it lol. If I can add beets to the repertoire I will be very, very pleased :thumbsup:
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby patty » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:01 pm

I was totally unaware that a slow cooker could be used without water:) I had heard slow cooked potatoes were so good.. but I was so disappointed as they were water logged:) I imagine the beets will be delicious.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby JuicerJohn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Patty, a crock pot full of washed potatoes, 6-8 on low, and enjoy.

If I am making mashed, I add one large peeled onion cut into quarters with the potatoes and just mash the onion right in. So delicious!
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby babybuddha » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:57 pm

Patty - I was blue about soggy slow cooked sweet pots for ages :( Bc steam escapes from the pots when cooking and condenses on the lid and drips down to the bottom of the cooking container, I imagine.

Divine inspiration - I now place a piece of folded kitchen roll (the absorbent quilted paper to clean spills etc) under the potatos, which absorbs excess moisture which then seems to evaporate = dry sweet pots inc the skins :)
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby flowerblue » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:57 pm

Do you peel potatoes before you put them in crock pot?
flowerblue

Postby JuicerJohn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:47 pm

I do not peel mine. I just run them under water and scrub them with my hands to remove any loose dirt. Then I pat them dry with a towel and put them in the pot.
JuicerJohn

Postby patty » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Amazing I never knew anything could be cooked in a slow cooker without water:) I always was concerned there had to be enough water.

Mahalo, patty
patty

Postby babybuddha » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:54 am

Lol lots of revelation on this thread. I cook sweet pots 'dry'. As they come ie whole, skin on. I top and tail the grungy ends off and place them on a mat of absorbent kitchen paper as described.

:)
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby skane9041 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:36 am

When I "bake" my potatoes in the crockpot I also place a thin kitchen towel over the pot before I put the lid on. It soaks up the steam and keeps it from dripping back down into the pot from the lid.
Sandi
----------------------

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."...Leo Tolstoy
skane9041

Postby babybuddha » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:10 am

Skane, how interesting. I will try the 'paper on top' method as one (minor) inconvenience with 'paper underneath' is that the paper can get a bit crusty and stick to the inner pot.
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby skane9041 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:33 am

babybuddha wrote:Skane, how interesting. I will try the 'paper on top' method as one (minor) inconvenience with 'paper underneath' is that the paper can get a bit crusty and stick to the inner pot.

I actually use a real towel, albeit a thin microfiber "non-fuzzy" one. If you do use the paper towels, you will probably need a couple thicknesses worth.
I love beets, you have inspired me to cook a big batch as soon as I see nice ones at my fruit market.

Sandi
Sandi
----------------------

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."...Leo Tolstoy
skane9041

Postby babybuddha » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:14 am

Hi Sandi - reporting in on 'paper on top' gives a good result; possibly cleaner and easier than paper underneath :D The bottom of the inner pot of the slow cooker has less 'gunge' and the potato itself is very dry - a better result from that point of view

Beets later!! Enjoy yours, hope you find some :D
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning