save or toss bean broth

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: save or toss bean broth

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 pm

CMD wrote:Do you save/consume the cooking liquid from your beans? It seems like it would add a lot of flavor and nutrition to a soup or stew but I've never even tried to use it. I'm afraid of digestive distress. I just cooked two pounds of black beans and feel guilty dumping the bean broth. I haven't dumped it yet.

I generally pre-soak my beans using the quick 1-hr method and discard that hot water. I then rinse the beans and add fresh water to cook. I do consume this cooking broth along with the beans. I wouldn't consume the soaking liquid though.

If you consume or are not afraid of consuming the broth in regular ol' canned beans, the liquid in your un-soaked homemade beans wouldn't be much different. I read here https://www.edenfoods.com/faqs/view.php?categories_id=5 that Eden canned beans are probably the only ones that are presoaked. I very rarely buy Eden brand. And I very rarely ever consume the liquid in canned beans.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Chumly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 pm

I always pre-soak the beans and discard the water and rinse before cooking. I then add at least 2 cups of water to every cup of beans and cook in the IP for 40 minutes and allow to cool for at least an hour before removing the lid. There's always extra water, which I usually blend with the beans with spices to make a thick sauce or paste (depending upon how much water) before storing in containers.
I've found this to be versatile way to prepare beans. I can use it as a vegetable dip, a sauce to pour over vegetables and/or starches, or a soup I can heat up and eat with a spoon. Since I started doing this, I notice it has been much easier to stay on plan!

Michael
Chumly

Postby victw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 pm

CMD,

It totally depends - I also change the pre-soak liquid. I buy most of my beans from Rancho Gordo beans. I find a lot of the white beans do not make a broth that I like. But the pintos and other heartier beans often make a broth that makes the beans edible to me like a soup with the broth. Rancho Gordo is really good about noting when a bean makes a yummy broth.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning