Chickpea burgers?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Chickpea burgers?

Postby secdroid » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 am

I'm a fan of all things chickpea -- falafel, hummus, curries, soups. I saw MorningStar Farms Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers in the store and bought them, knowing that they weren't McD-compliant. I wanted to get an idea as to how a chickpea burger would work.

Bottom line: too greasy tasting to someone used to McD WOE, but great texture and nice spicing. Spinach & tomato were barely detectable. Some large chickpea chunks, along with more finely ground made the texture nice. Not as spicy as falafel, but something great for a bun with lettuce & tomato. (As long as you don't follow McD WOE.)

Nutrition facts (not McD, but not awful): http://www.kelloggs.com/content/dam/common/products/nutrition/124518.jpg

Ingredients:
COOKED CHICKPEAS (WATER, CHICKPEAS), WATER, COOKED BROWN RICE (WATER, BROWN RICE), ONION, GARLIC (GARLIC, WATER), CORN OIL, WHOLE GRAIN OATS, SOY FLOUR, SPINACH, WHEAT GLUTEN, EGG WHITES, CALCIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), DICED ROMA TOMATOES, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ONION POWDER, CORNSTARCH, SUGAR, CANOLA OIL, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SALT, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVORS, YEAST EXTRACT, HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, GARLIC POWDER, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, XANTHAN GUM, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE, DEXTROSE, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, JALAPENO PEPPER, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, VINEGAR, CARAMEL COLOR, GUM ACACIA, LEMON JUICE, PAPRIKA EXTRACT (FOR COLOR), PAPRIKA (FOR COLOR).

https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/burgers/mediterranean-chickpea-burger
Anyone making McD-compliant chickpea burgers? Tips? (I'm a burger newbie, but I seem to recall hearing that Jeff Novick recommended kidney beans and chickpeas have a very different texture.)

I searched around and found a few recipes that look modifiable -
http://greatist.com/health/recipe-baked-chickpea-burgers/
http://amybites.com/?p=2427
secdroid

Re: Chickpea burgers?

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:08 am

secdroid wrote:Anyone making McD-compliant chickpea burgers? Tips? (I'm a burger newbie, but I seem to recall hearing that Jeff Novick recommended kidney beans and chickpeas have a very different texture.)

http://www.drmcdougall.com/store_fast_food_2.html

Jeff's Indian burgers use kidney beans AND chickpeas. You cannot make them w/ JUST chickpeas b/c they would fall apart. Once you learn to make Jeffburgers you can change them up however you want--I frequently make them using kidneys and chickpeas but keeping the rice (instead of switching to sweet taters as he recommends for the Indian burgers) and the salsa. You can change them up in all kinds of ways as long as half the beans are kidneys. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby sigma957 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:33 am

In Veganomicon, Isa Moskovitz has a recipe for chickpea cutlets. It is also available at her website, post punk kitchen. I've made them (you can skip the oil) and they are great.

Here's the link for a double batch:

http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/doublebat ... a-cutlets/
You must believe that you are worth the trouble.
When you stumble, make it part of the dance!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

sigma957

Postby secdroid » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I've found a number of posts on McD and other web sites that praise Jeff's chickpea burgers. Isa Moskovitz's recipe is interesting due to the different seasoning.

I've looked further for recipes that omit other beans and found Colleen Patrick-Goudreau‘s recipe on fatfreevegan.com -- http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/colleens-chickpea-burgers-with-tahini-sauce.html

Colleen's recipe looks pretty good to me and Susan Voisin said they were a hit with her family. I'll probably reduce the seasoning a bit and add canned green chilis.
secdroid

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:29 pm

You can use whatever seasonings you want to w/ Jeffburgers. Experiment! :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby noelalexis2000 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:31 pm

sigma957 wrote:In Veganomicon, Isa Moskovitz has a recipe for chickpea cutlets. It is also available at her website, post punk kitchen. I've made them (you can skip the oil) and they are great.

will omit the oil but did you use the vital wheat gluten. I have wheat sensitivity so I try to avoid VWG but will use regular flour at times. Would regular white whole wheat flour work?
noelalexis2000

Postby mountain » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:42 pm

I have made chickpea burgers and they are only made from chickpeas (run through the "meat"grinder), chick pea flour, ground flaxseed (which holds them together perfectly), drained frozen spinach and spices. Spices I use are tumeric, cumin, cardamon, a little tomato paste and pepper.
They taste amazing :oops:
mountain

Postby janiceh » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:28 pm

The cutlets from Isa Chandra Moskiwitz are just delicious, but I suspect they really need the vital wheat gluten to create their meat-like texture. It is pretty much the same as seitan with chickpeas, etc mixed in. I doubt ordinary flour could be a good substitute.

The following is a great recipe from Mrs. Doodlepunk (posted somewhere else in the forum sorry I don't have a reference back to it.) Standard in our house. It also works with kidney beans.

Mrs. Doodlepunk's Burgers

4 cups cooked chickpeas
1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped fine
1 cup frozen corn
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic pressed
3 cups quick oats - or blend up some regular oats so they are broken up considerably, this is crucial to help the burgers stick together.
2 Tablespoons vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

Cook the onion and mushrooms in a little water until soft and the water is mostly gone. Mash the garbanzos with the rest of the ingredients, mix in the cooked onion/mushroom mixture with your hands. Scoop out with ice cream scoop onto parchment lined baking sheets and pat out into half inch thick patties or thinner, bake at 350 degrees 20 minutes then flip patties and bake 10 minutes more. Makes 15 to 16 burgers and they freeze well.

You might also want to try the following Chickpea Spinach Burgers posted in the forum. They are a bit spicier, but really delicious. Of course, just omit the oil and peanut butter. Taken originally from http://taleoftwovegans.wordpress.com/20 ... h-burgers/

Chickpea Spinach Burgers

-1 medium onion, minced
-3 cloves garlic, crushed
-1 c. chickpeas
-3 c. packed spinach leaves
-1 carrot, grated
-2 tbsp. soy sauce (likely less if you’re using canned/salted chickpeas)
-1 tsp. cumin
-2 tbsp. peanut butter [omit]
-1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
-1 tsp. sriracha hot sauce
-1/2 c. chickpea flour
Cook the onion in oil or water in a pan over medium heat until soft and translucent, then add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the chickpeas, spinach, and carrot, and cook until the spinach is fully wilted and the carrot is softened. Make sure that you let as much liquid as possible cook off. Dump into a mixing bowl, and stir in the soy sauce, cumin, peanut butter, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, and chickpea flour. I didn’t bother trying to smush the chickpeas at all, although you could. Allow the mixture to cool. In big spoonfuls (~1/3 c.?) form the mixture into thick patties and lightly pan fry, using only a couple teaspoons of oil for several burgers, over medium heat until browned on both sides. Makes six burgers.
janiceh

Postby sigma957 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:12 pm

noelalexis2000 wrote:
sigma957 wrote:In Veganomicon, Isa Moskovitz has a recipe for chickpea cutlets. It is also available at her website, post punk kitchen. I've made them (you can skip the oil) and they are great.

will omit the oil but did you use the vital wheat gluten. I have wheat sensitivity so I try to avoid VWG but will use regular flour at times. Would regular white whole wheat flour work?

No, the gluten is important for the texture of the cutlets.
You must believe that you are worth the trouble.
When you stumble, make it part of the dance!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

sigma957

Postby vrob » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 am

I made this recipe a couple of times and thought they made nice firm patties that had a mild taste lending itself to many different toppings. I omitted the optional seasonings and made into 3 large patties.
From Lex 1-6-02 on VegSource:

CHICK-ISH PATTIES
makes 3 to 5

1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (reserve liquid)
3/4 c. quick oats
1 garlic clove, minced
salt to taste
nutritional yeast (opt) ~ 1 T.
poultry seasoning (opt) ~ 1/4 tsp.

Drain chickpeas and reserve the liquid. Puree the chickpeas in a food processor with 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid. Add a little more liquid if needed to make a smooth paste.

Combine to chickpea puree with the remaining ingredients. If needed, add more liquid/water or oats to make a mixture that will form into patties. Shape the mixture into 3 to 5 patties, depending on how big you want them. Oil spray a heavy skillet and fry the patties until they are golden brown on each side (about 10 minutes per side). (NOTE: I baked them instead in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, flipped after 15 minutes).

Lex suggests marinara sauce or BBQ sauce as toppings. I think a sweet & sour sauce or mango salsa would also be good.

---Vickie
vrob

Postby secdroid » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:52 am

vrob wrote:I made this recipe a couple of times and thought they made nice firm patties that had a mild taste lending itself to many different toppings. I omitted the optional seasonings and made into 3 large patties.
---Vickie
Thank you. I like the simplicity and the lack of seasonings, allowing it to be used as a starting point for experimentation. Baking is a plus.

It would appear from other burger recipes that old fashioned oats would work.
secdroid

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 am

Here's another one from this forum:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... ea+Burgers

You can see that others completely left out the peanut butter and had success. These are great wrapped in a romaine or blanched collard leaf if you are into that. I have baked instead of pan fried them successfully as well.

In case the link doesn't work, here is the recipe text from A Tale of Two Vegans, with my personal changes. But I hope the link works, since it has other variations in it.

--moonwatcher

Chickpea Spinach Burgers

from A Tale of Two Vegans (and then the McDougall Recipe thread, mid june 2011)

"These come together quickly, and are very rich and creamy on the inside. Although they contain plenty of spinach, I think they would be best served alone or with a salad, as serving them inside a sandwich or on a bed of rice/grains might seem too heavy. They are quite mild, so if you’re eating them plain you might want to perk them up with a bit more cumin or spiciness, although I thought they were totally delicious with a little extra hot sauce on the side. I, however, would make a great candidate for Hot Sauce Addicts Anonymous (H.S.A.A?), were it a reality. ( wrapped them in steamed collard leaves—in one I added a little hoisin sauce, some grated green cabbage tossed in dressing, and a spoonful of mashed millet and cauliflower—good plain or with the extras)
These are gluten free, but if you’re not gluten free, I think you could sub out some of the chickpea flour for wheat flour, or even a couple tablespoons of vital wheat gluten, although they do firm up nicely while they cook as is.
-1 medium onion, minced

-3 cloves garlic, crushed (I used one green garlic shoot)
-1 c. chickpeas

-3 c. packed spinach leaves

-1 carrot, grated

-2 tbsp. soy sauce (likely less if you’re using canned/salted chickpeas)
 (I used tamari)
-1 tsp. cumin

-2 tbsp. peanut butter (I used 2 tsp peanut butter, 1 tsp ground flax—you could use less, probably a teaspoon of something would provide the binding needed)

-1 tbsp. nutritional yeast

-1 tsp. sriracha hot sauce
 (I used Cajun garlic sauce)
-1/2 c. chickpea flour
Cook the onion in oil or water in a pan over medium heat until soft and translucent, then add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the chickpeas, spinach, and carrot, and cook until the spinach is fully wilted and the carrot is softened. Make sure that you let as much liquid as possible cook off. Dump into a mixing bowl, and stir in the soy sauce, cumin, peanut butter, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, and chickpea flour. I didn’t bother trying to smush the chickpeas at all, although you could. Allow the mixture to cool. In big spoonfulls (~1/3 c.?) form the mixutre into thick patties and lightly pan fry, using only a couple teaspoons of oil for several burgers, over medium heat until browned on both sides. Alternatively, I bet you could bake them just fine, although I tend to fry my burgers – it’s faster! Makes six burgers.
-Eve"
Last edited by moonwatcher on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby secdroid » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 pm

moonwatcher wrote:Here's another one from this forum:--<snip>Chickpea Spinach Burgers
Thank you. Omitting peanut butter would be wise for me because I find it addicting. :o

The addition of the veggies is very nice. I hope to ultimately master adding veggies to my "burgers" to make them more interesting.

However, the addition of Sriracha is always good! :lol: (I learned that from Mary McDougall recipes!)

I love me my "rooster sauce."
secdroid

Postby mtns » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:39 pm

Peas and Thankyou blog has a wonderful chickpea burger. I have tried it and love it.
Kathy
mtns

Postby secdroid » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 pm

mtns wrote:Peas and Thankyou blog has a wonderful chickpea burger. I have tried it and love it.
Kathy
Thank you. It looks like this must be the one -- Big Fat Greek Veggie Burgers -- http://peasandthankyou.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6032718

If you do a recipe search for "chickpeas," you'll find that she is at least as big a fan of chickpeas as me! :lol:
secdroid

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning