Smashed Chickpea Sandwich

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Smashed Chickpea Sandwich

Postby stoumi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Was swapping recipes with a co-worker today, when she turned me on to another recipe from one of her favorite cooking site, Smitten Kitchen. Usually I don't make much of what Deb creates, but she is pretty amazing in the kitchen. This recipe was easy to recreate and be McDougall compliant.

Smashed Chickpea Salad (click for full recipe)
Inspired by ‘wichcraft

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons pitted, halved and very thinly sliced black olives (used 6 olives)
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Zest and juice from half a lemon (if you’ve got one of those sad, juiceless lemons, use both sides for juice)
Couple good pinches of salt
A few grinds of black pepper
Smoked paprika (I added this spice)
A few glugs of olive oil (I omitted this ingredient)

After I smashed it up, I placed it on some Alvardo Street Bakery Sprouted Grain Bread and used some Nayonaise. Placed it in a skillet added the weight of a iron pan and went panini on it. Here is what I got:

stoumi

Re: Smashed Chickpea Sandwich

Postby Rychei » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:41 pm

that looks yummy. I had to look up the nayonaise though.. 30 cal out of 35 is fat (ie oil)... Like you did with the olive oil I'd skip that too.
Rychei

Re: Smashed Chickpea Sandwich

Postby stoumi » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:29 pm

The nayonaise was something I added to the bread, it wasn't needed and I knew it was high on fat content, but this is what I do when I splurge. I also left out of the "glug" of olive oil as I don't add oil of any kind to recipes.
stoumi

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning