Garlicky Kale Salad

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Garlicky Kale Salad

Postby HealthFreak » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:49 pm

I posted this in the lounge and people really seem to like it. I love this salad and have been making it several times per week. It's a clone recipe that I found on the Internet. The person put it together based on the ingredients of the HSH Garlicky Kale Salad found at Whole Foods. I buy the Whole Foods version whenever I go there.

Garlicky Kale Salad

Inspired by the Whole Foods salad bar

1/2 bunch raw kale, washed, de-stemmed and dried
* 1 T tahini
* 1 T apple cider vinegar (or water)
* 1 T lemon juice
* 1 T Bragg's liquid aminos (tamari or soy sauce would work too)
* 2 T nutritional yeast
* 1 tsp. minced garlic (1 - 2 cloves of garlic)
* sesame seeds, to taste as garish (optional)

Break or cut kale into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl.
2. Puree all ingredients except kale and sesame seeds in a blender or food processor to blend the dressing.
3. Pour dressing over kale and massage into the kale with your hands until all pieces of kale are coated.
4. Let the salad sit in the fridge for an hour or so to marinate. You can skip this step if you need to eat right away, but allowing some time to marinate will wilt the kale a bit and make it a little more palatable - particularly for those who are skeptical of eating raw kale.
5. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds before serving if so desired.
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau
HealthFreak

Re: Garlicky Kale Salad

Postby CrystalColorado » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Sounds great! Was just telling hubby today I'd like to figure out how to prepare kale. I know it's so good for you, just no clue how to prepare it. Hope to find some when we visit the farmer's market tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this!
CrystalColorado

Postby Starchyme » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks for posting the recipe, Healthfreak. I purchase it every time they offer it at WFM. Sometime, too, I just make a dressing of tahini, Dijon mustard, and a little water to thin it to the consistency I like. Then I just dip in the kale leaves. Have to experiment with the proportions you like. I happen to like it spicy, so usually add equal amounts. Might try adding grated garlic to it next time.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Emerson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:39 pm

I posted this in the lounge and people really seem to like it. I love this salad and have been making it several times per week. It's a clone recipe that I found on the Internet. The person put it together based on the ingredients of the HSH Garlicky Kale Salad found at Whole Foods. I buy the Whole Foods version whenever I go there.

My Whole Foods Market in Raleigh NC has the same HSH (Health Starts Here) Raw Kale with Garlicky Dressing Salad. When I make this at home, I use a baby kale and it is fantastic. The baby kale is not as tough as mature kale and will wilt quickly, so dress only as much kale as will be eaten in a given meal.
Emerson

Emerson

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning