Black Bean Brownies

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Black Bean Brownies

Postby Kiki » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 pm

OMG, KristyKay, I didn't even recognize you in that picture. You look great. I love the haircut.

Thanks, everyone, for all the options. I much prefer trying recipes that come with recommendations. They usually work better than the ones I find on my own. Next time PMS strikes, I'll be ready. ;)
Kiki

Postby shell1226 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:12 am

kirstykay wrote:Mary McDougall also posted a recipe for black bean brownies. They were the first ones I ever tried, and my whole family loves them. Problem is, so do I and that leads to trouble. I only make them now for very special occaisions. But they are very good!

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/jul/recipes.htm

kirstykay, I'll have to try those. I love having different options.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby shell1226 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:13 am

Kiki wrote:OMG, KristyKay, I didn't even recognize you in that picture. You look great. I love the haircut.

Thanks, everyone, for all the options. I much prefer trying recipes that come with recommendations. They usually work better than the ones I find on my own. Next time PMS strikes, I'll be ready. ;)

Let us know what you try and how you like them, Kiki.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:25 am

Shell, I tried your recipe for black bean brownies today and it was much tastier than either of the two I tried in the past. Instead of using a square pan, I baked them in non-stick mini-muffin pans to avoid the mess of cutting them, and that worked very well--and reduced baking time by about five minutes.

Then only thing is that I think calling these "brownies" is a bit of a streatch. I'd call them chocolate oat bars. They do not have a brownie-like texture at all, and the oats are very evident in the product. They are good, but the only resemplence they have to brownies are that they are a chocolate bar-type cookie/cake. Not fudgy or cakey--more of a chocolate oatmeal cookie.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby shell1226 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:Shell, I tried your recipe for black bean brownies today and it was much tastier than either of the two I tried in the past. Instead of using a square pan, I baked them in non-stick mini-muffin pans to avoid the mess of cutting them, and that worked very well--and reduced baking time by about five minutes.

Then only thing is that I think calling these "brownies" is a bit of a streatch. I'd call them chocolate oat bars. They do not have a brownie-like texture at all, and the oats are very evident in the product. They are good, but the only resemplence they have to brownies are that they are a chocolate bar-type cookie/cake. Not fudgy or cakey--more of a chocolate oatmeal cookie.

Maybe I'll call them chocolate oat bars. I don't care...as long as we have a healthier option for a snack, we are good.

I love your idea of putting them in the mini muffin tin. I have one of those, so I'm going to try that next time. I like the convenience of readily portioned food.

Thanks so much for your feedback, honey. It is greatly appreciated.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:41 pm

Shell, another thing--and it may be a quirk, but maybe not--despite the fact that I ate way too many of these chocolaty things, I weighed in lighter this morning. Maybe it was the extra fiber? Or perhaps you have invented a magic chocolate weight loss food that will make you rich!!!

And DH liked them a lot, too.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby shell1226 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:25 am

Gotta love that, VanillaOrchid! I'll take a weight loss any way I can get it.

How long did you end up baking them in the mini muffin tin? 20 minutes?

We are down to our last 2 "brownies" and I know my wife will be looking for more. I still have some rice pudding left, so maybe she can hold out until the weekend, which is when I like to cook and bake.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:53 am

shell1226 wrote:Gotta love that, VanillaOrchid! I'll take a weight loss any way I can get it.

How long did you end up baking them in the mini muffin tin? 20 minutes?

We are down to our last 2 "brownies" and I know my wife will be looking for more. I still have some rice pudding left, so maybe she can hold out until the weekend, which is when I like to cook and bake.

I set the timer for 15 minutes, then checked and baked them about another 3 minutes. The other nice thing about the mini-muffin tins is that they baked evenly. Somtimes with brownies they are still too soft in the center if they are done on the edges.

This recipe is a winner.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby greentea » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:00 pm

I made these tonight. They are really good! Yum! I like your idea of adding a few nuts. How easy is that to throw together!!!
greentea

Postby shell1226 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:57 am

I'm so glad you guys are liking them. I am definitely going to try them in the mini-muffin tin next. This way I can put nuts in some for Chris and leave them out of mine. The nuts did add a nice little something that she liked. I need to really be careful of the nuts for me.

We are going to a family birthday this weekend, so I may pack up a few so we can have something while everyone else is having birthday cake. I'll bring a few extras in case anyone wants to try them, but I doubt it. :wink:
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby veganteen » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:55 pm

I want to try this recipe with the pumpkin, that sounds yummy. But does chocolate work well with the pumpkin?
veganteen

Postby shell1226 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:46 am

Oh yeah. Chocolate and pumpkin are really delicious together.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby to_our_health » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:31 am

What kind of oats work best? We buy steel cut for my spouse's breakfast.
to_our_health

Postby shell1226 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:01 pm

to_our_health wrote:What kind of oats work best? We buy steel cut for my spouse's breakfast.

I wouldn't use steel cut oats for these. You need quick oats or something like that because you are putting them into the batter raw.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby shell1226 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

I tried these with pumpkin instead of applesauce. They weren't bad, they do need a little more sweetener though.

I liked them with the applesauce better and so did my wife.
Rachelle

shell1226

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning