How to cook okra without the slime?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Doris » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:55 am

Puddy, my mother liked to boil whole okra in water and serve it with just salt and pepper. Think she added vinegar to the water also. I don't remember because it was a long time ago. It was very slimey. Everyone liked it in my family (except me). :)
Doris

Postby Puddy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:01 am

Doris, that's the way I grew up eating okra if it wasn't fried. The slime doesn't bother me in the least. It makes the okra slide down easily. :-D
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S.Lewis in Mere Christianity
Puddy

Postby Sher » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:23 pm

Me too...when I first moved to TN, I lived with my grandma. She would simmer it in a saucepan, and just add a touch of salt and some margarine on them. Of course, I don't need the fat now, but I think I would still like it with just some salt & pepper. Just let it slide on down. :P

Only veggie I have to try to make myself like is turnips. LOVE the greens, though. Can't handle the white part.

Sher
Sher

Postby Ladybug » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Burgess Just made your okra with tomatoes It was wonderful.. Served over brown rice I did sprinkle a little cajun season on top of rice. Even my husband thought it was good and he is another one who says slick slimy okra. We will fix it again soon. Thanks
Ladybug

One suggestion

Postby Chile » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:38 pm

This does not help year-round, but when okra is in season buy fresh. Get the smaller ones and then just eat them raw. Don't slice them as that releases more of the mucilaginous substance.
Chile

Postby groundhogg » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:23 am

Just fumbling around here during lunch and found this post... :D

makes me laugh to see so many people repulsed by okra :D .

I'm with Puddy...have always cherished the wonderful, "slimy" okra, used in all sorts of ways! Back where we used to live, we had to go without lots and lots of things, including food sometimes (why we moved away eventually), and okra was always one of the things that kept us going...easy to grow, easy to go to seed and save for next year...easy to keep, easy and versatile to cook...I think sometimes about all we had to eat was okra, greens, and pinto beans :D ...good thing I always did just like the stuff!

Anyway, I just found it kinda interesting that okra is one of those things that seems to turn so many people off...and...

Thanks, DianeR, for that yummy-looking recipe you linked...I think that one might end up on the groundhog(g)'s table this evening!!!

Sounds really good! :) Oh...I always did love eggplant too...groundhubby thinks eggplant is "slimy"! :lol:
groundhogg

Postby happyalyssa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:56 pm

I had to bump this thread because I just tried Roasted Okra from http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/roasted-okra.html and it is REALLY good! I'm not a huge okra fan (its okay but not my fav) but I just tried this and it seems to be a good slime-free way to enjoy the vegetable :)
happyalyssa

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Okra is one of my favorite things, and I don't mind the slime, but it you want to avoid that, use fresh okra (not frozen). Wash and dry it before you cut it, because when it gets wet inside it does get slimy. Then cook it in the cast iron skillet as mentioned above. I don't even bother with the Pam. Just get the skillet very hot before you add the okra. I cook up some onions first, then add the okra, and I use indian spices as well, but season it as you like. It's good over rice, or alone.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby DianeR » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:31 am

happyalyssa,

I just got around to trying the okra recipe a few days ago. I loved it, but my husband didn't. Said it tasted too much like okra. I guess he was having flashbacks to okra during his southern youth.

I ended up having a pound of okra for dinner :lol: It seems like this will have to be something I make for myself for lunch or when dh has to work late ,,,

I looked up the nutritional stats for okra. Very, very healthy -- it looks like I have myself a new easy meal, as least when I can get the fresh stuff.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. --
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DianeR

Postby Laurie Crittenden » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:34 am

I love okra but not the slime. I have copied the Roasted Okra recipe and will try it as soon as those little green heads start appearing. In Texas we could eat our weight in okra daily and never run out of it. So, I am always looking for new ways to cook it.
It's not Dinner - It's not Lunch
It's Inbetween You Want to Munch
Laurie Crittenden

It is still slimey

Postby Chrmann » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:33 pm

I can remember making a concoction of tomatoes, onions, vinegar or lemon juice and okra. It was still slimey! Turned me off ! Although, I do like slimey okra (boiled okra). It is not as slimey IF you leave the pods whole and boil for just a few minutes. leave part of the stem on the end or it will be slimey.

The best way to kep it from being slimey is to fry or bake it with a coating on it. Wet the okra first, then dip in coating and fry or bake. The okra can be left whole or sliced.

I add okra to my vegetable soup and it never appears to be slimey.

To fix for the freezer: I batter and then bake okra for 2 minutes in the oven before I freeze it. Keeps the okra from being slimey.
Chrmann

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning