reccomend a recipe?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

reccomend a recipe?

Postby gypwytch » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm looking for soup/stew, or casserole ideas. My brother insists that he just doesn't feel satisfied eating a vegan diet, can someone reccomend a good heavey/hearty soup that would make him feel full?

He suffers from gout and kidney problems(both things run in the family), and insists on eating a diet heavy in meat and seafood, etc.. I tried once with pea soup but he said no because dried peas are bad for gout, and yet he eats meat, I don't get it!!! I read up on it and it said that although peas and beans are high in purines(which agravate gout), they seem to be ok, it's the purines in animal protein that cause the trouble. He has thick head, won't listen, grrrrrrr.

So, any ideas???
It's just me.
gypwytch

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:29 pm

First, you can't change your brother. He has to want to change.

Second: Yeah, there are lot of great soup and stew recipes that are wonderfully decadent and he won't miss the meat. Here's one without legumes. Sorry, but this is from memory and I don't really measure when I make it. :

Leek and Potato Soup

2 large or three small leeks, washed and sliced--white and tender green parts only--save the dark green parts to make vegetable broth later

Peeled potatoes, cut in chunks--enough to almost fill your large soup pot
low fat Non-dairy milk--rice, oat or soy
a handfull of chopped fresh dill
A tablespoon or so of caraway seeds
Salt to taste

Put the potatoes and leeks in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are cooked and starting to break apart a little. At the end of the cooking add the non-dairy mild, and continue simmering but not boiling. You can break up the potatoes a bit with a spoon. The mixture should look creamy, not watery. Add the dill and caraway at the end of the cooking, and salt. I rarely cook with salt, but this recipe does need a bit.

I'll post some more great stuff when I get home. There are some wonderful stews in the Moosewood Cookbook that are easily McDougallized by leaving out the oil.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby EK » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:40 pm

I made a vegetable stew not too long ago to a family of the "meat and potatoes" mindset that they ate quite happily. I made it using pretty much just what i had on hand but you can always put in whatever you'd like! Here's how i made mine:

3 boxes of vegetable stock
1 bag of whole carrots
1 red pepper
3 celery stocks
1 bag of yukon gold potatoes (I leave the skins on I think it's more rustic)
1 head of broccoli
1 can of green beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 bag of frozen corn
a couple handfuls of frozen sweet peas

I bring the stock to a bowl and seasoned it with grill seasoning (mostly pepper and garlic) while i peeled and chopped the carrots, pepper, celery, broccoli and potatoes (leaving the skin on the potatoes) and put everything into the pot as it is cut. Then i add all canned and frozen ingredients (except the peas because I like them to keep their color) and I let it simmer on the stove pretty much all day and at dinner time it's extremely thick from all the liquid the potatoes and other veggies soak up. Stir in the peas and mixed to heat them. I usually eat this OVER a toasted piece of Ezekial bread. It's delicious and very satisfying! Obviously this makes a TON of food! I keep the leftovers for a week or so for a quick dinner in a hurry and it just tastes better and better.

Hope this helps and you enjoy!
EK

Postby dlb » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Gypwytch -

Potatolicious posting this no-beef stew a while back. It was a big hit with my SO who is not a McDougaller.

http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10315&highlight=beef+stew

Donna
dlb

Four-Grain Tomato Soup

Postby Plumerias » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:10 pm

I have the cookbook open and was all set to transcribe the recipe, but lo and behold, the one I wanted was actually available online. Gypwytch, the one I am thinking of is the third one on the page. Although a wintery recipe, it fits your criteria of hearty and no legumes. It freezes well too. It is from Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons, C. 2006, my favorite soup and stew cookbook.
http://vegkitchen.com/recipes/winter-soups.htm
Plumerias

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:33 pm

The Butternut Squash Soup from one of the newsletters was just wonderful http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/recipes.htm

I also like these, adapted from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home cookbook:

Caribbean Vegetable Stew

2 c chopped onions
3c chopped cabbage
1 fresh chile, minced (and seeded if you don't want it too hot) or 1/4 t cayenne
1T grated fresh ginger root
2c water
3c diced sweet potatoes, cut into 2/1-3/4" cubes
2c undrained chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
2c fres or frozen sliced okra
3T fresh lime juice
2T chopped fresh cilantro
salt

optional garnishes:
chopped peanuts
cilantro sprigs

saute the onions in a little water on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add She cabbage and chile or cayenne and continue to saute, stirring often until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes

Add the grated ginger and water, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potatoes, and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until they are barely tender. Add the tomators, okra, and lime juice. Simmer until all of the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, and salt, if needed.

Add optional garnishes to each bowl.

Cick Pea and Artichoke Heart Stew

4 c vegetable stock
2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1t tumeric
1t sweet paprika
4 medium potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried sage (or fresh, if you have it--I didn't)
1/2 cup pureed sweet potatoes
3 c drained cooked chick peas (2 15 oz cans)
1 1/2 c drained quartered artichoke hearts (14-oz can)
salt and pepper
about a half cup of nutritional yeast.*

In a saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer. Meanwhile saute the onions and garlic in a little water or stock until soft. Stir in the tumeric and paprika and continue to saute for a minute. Add the potatoes, rosemary, sage and simmering stock. Cook about 12 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the pureed sweet potato, add the drained chick peas and artichoke hearts. Remove the rosemary sprig. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the nurtitional yeast.

The original recipe calls for oilve oil, and suggests topping with grated Pecorino or Parmesean cheese. I leave out the oil, and add the nutritional yeast for s slightly "cheesy" flavor.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby gypwytch » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks for the ideas :)
It's just me.
gypwytch

Postby brianschmutz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:12 pm

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/crockpot/1015.shtml

Been on the diet for about 3 weeks now. This was the heaviest and heartiest meal I've had so far. Makes about 6 regular servings, 4 if you want to stuff yourself (like I do).
brianschmutz

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning