Baked Risotto

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Baked Risotto

Postby DianeR » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:13 pm

I found this recipe in "The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet." I've made it a number of times and it is yummy -- creamy with no fat. You can adjust it to whatever veggies you have around. If you keep Arborio rice and vegetable stock on hand, you will have a simple recipe for dinner you can always make.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Combine 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (I doubt any other rice would work), two 15-oz. cans of vegetable stock, 1 cup water, and finely minced garlic in a casserole. The recipe says a 2-quart casserole but I think that is too small for comfort. I use the biggest one I have. I've used one of those large waxed paper containers before when I didn't have cans of stock and simply adjusted the amount of water; it doesn't make any difference to the recipe. The original calls for two cloves of garlic, which I find too little. But I always double the amount of garlic in any recipe. At least.

3. Cover and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. At the third stirring, stir in 1 cup water. (Don't panic -- at the first two stirrings, it looks like no water has been absorbed and the recipe is a bust. Magic kicks in before the third :lol: ) When done, the rice should have a tender and creamy texture.

4. Stir in cooked vegetable(s) of your choice. The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups, but I've doubled that before without problem. You can really add however much you want.

5. Wait 5 minutes before serving.

6. You can put some Parmesan-style soy cheese on top, if you like.

I try to throw in additional seasoning that goes with the vegetables I'm using. It seems a little bland without that. But I like spiced food. Dried herbs I put in with the water, fresh with the vegetables. You probably want to make the base recipe one time and see what you think. You can always sprinkle seasoning on top at the table.

This makes a surprising amount of food for a cup and a half of rice. Unless you have a big family, you will have leftovers. I haven't tried halving the recipe because that would probably change the cooking time you need. Plus I like to have leftovers around :D
DianeR

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning