~3-INGREDIENTS Recipes~ Quick. Creative.

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: ~3-INGREDIENTS Recipes~ Quick. Creative.

Postby vegan_iowa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 pm

One of my favorite. So simple I hesitate to call it a recipe :)

Combine Equal parts brown rice (cooked) and corn (also cooked) add a dab of tomato paste and some water to desired consistency. Spice any way you want: TexMex, curry, whatever. Makes a good main dish. Just complete it with a salad or some green and yellow veggies.
vegan_iowa

Postby Phil Larschan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 am

Spanish Rice
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 cup Pace Picante Sauce

Pressure cook* the rice and water for 15 min. (45 min. for regular cooking.)
Then mix in the picante sauce and serve.

OPTIONS
Before cooking:
6 cloves of whole garlic
1/2 cup of spinach

*Digital electric pressure cooker reduces cooking time by 70% and saves even more energy.
Phil Larschan

Postby gourmetvegan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:21 am

Burger in Oven...so simple and so easy. My kids made it for us last night with the baked beans and though I usually am a forum reader and not a poster, I had to give a shout out in thanks. We will try more of these.
gourmetvegan

Postby tornadoalley » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 am

I eat the white corn tortillas with refried beans and salsa three or four times a week. Very Filling.
tornadoalley

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:22 am

gourmetvegan wrote:Burger in Oven...so simple and so easy. My kids made it for us last night with the baked beans and though I usually am a forum reader and not a poster, I had to give a shout out in thanks. We will try more of these.

I would be really careful w/ that one. Boca Burgers are not really approved McDougall food at all. They are made of soy protein concentrate and contain oil and other icky stuff.

Ingredients: WATER, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF METHYLCELLULOSE, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, DRIED ONIONS, YEAST EXTRACT, SESAME OIL, HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR (NON-MEAT), DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE.

http://www.bocaburger.com/products/nutr ... 5928333445

The 3-ingredient recipes are really meant to be recipes--not "pull something out of a box."
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby pippin » Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 am

Here is my latest favorite.

Quinoa in the rice cooker with the proper amount of water.
When it is about 1/2 done with cook cycle, open up and add a huge pile of chopped kale and a can of drained/rinsed beans (any kind). Close lid and let if finish cooking. Spice any way you like (tobasco and creole seasoning / or just a bit of tamari is good).
Just Keep Swimming!
pippin

Postby lizzie805 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Awesome list! Thank you so much for putting this together. Love this thread very much. =)
lizzie805

Postby Chico954 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:23 pm

I've got a simple and delicious salad:

Beets, Onion and Green beans.
Mix them all together with some Italian dressing (home made for extra healthy without all that extra sugar and fat) and you've got an easy side dish for a BBQ.
Chico954

Postby Bubbies67 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:37 pm

gregfrompenn wrote::D Thank you for the 3 ingredient recipes. For someone new like me they are great! Please add more, I love em.

I agree! I'm a newbie, and really love the 3-ingredient suggestions! Thanks to all! :)
Bubbies67

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 pm

I usually freeze the leftover coconut milk in a baggie (squeeze out all the air), then seal in a second baggie. Works fine.
talkingmountain

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:45 pm

SUPERFAST SUMMER SALAD

- 1 can beans, any kind (preferably no-salt-added), drained and rinsed
    - 1 cup salsa (oil-free, preferably lower sodium)
    - 1 cup either cold brown rice, some other grain, or cold chopped potatoes (Yukon golds or new potatoes work best)

Mix all together. Chill. Eat.

Invented this by accident on Sat. when I realized I had a mostly full day on the road and no leftovers!!! Made this in 5 min and it was great!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ella » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm

ETeselle, this is my kind of recipe. THANK YOU!

By the way, your success story is one of the most inspiring success stories I have ever read!
ella

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks! I have another one.

YUKON GOLDS HOT OR COLD

Nuked (or boiled) Yukon Gold taters (as many as you like)
    Rice vinegar
    Nutritional yeast (optional)

Cut taters into biggish bite-sized pieces. Place in bowl. Drizzle rice vinegar all over the taters. Top w/ nutritional yeast (optional).

This is good either cold or hot. If you have cold taters already cooked in the fridge you can make it up cold like a salad or nuke it to warm it up. Wait to add the yeast until ready to eat.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby ella » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Oh, this sounds so good! I love nutritional yeast. I can sprinkle it on anything. it is truly my cheese substitute. The combination of yeast and the rice vinegar on a potato sounds wonderful.

You sound like me. Keep it as simple as possible. I just don't have time to cook anymore like I used to, and frankly, I have no desire to.

What I do with yeast is mix 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast flakes with 1/4 cup soy milk, and stir. This makes a super quick, super easy "cheese" sauce that you can flavor with pepper, garlic, etc. if desired and needs no cooking. I love that over a baked potato.

Please keep your ideas coming. Love them! Thanks.
ella

Postby maren » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:33 pm

Polenta Zucchini Bake

1 tube pre made polenta
1 medium zucchini
1 28 oz jar oil free tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 375. Slice polenta and zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds. Spread a bit of sauce on the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Place a single layer of zucchini or polenta (doesn't matter which one you use first). Spread a bit of sauce, then add a single layer of the opposite ingredient. Continue layering until all ingredients are used, saving a bit of sauce for the top.

Bake for 25 minutes, uncovered! Serves 3-4 or 2 with leftovers.
maren

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning