~3-INGREDIENTS Recipes~ Quick. Creative.

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: ~3-INGREDIENTS Recipes~ Quick. Creative.

Postby Idgie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 pm

My delicious snack today: buffalo chickpeas. I just take some cooked chickpeas (cooked them myself today, but I do it with canned sometimes, too), drained, but not dried. Toss with Frank's Red Hot sauce and seasoned salt (optional). Spread on one layer on a sheet of parchment or silicone baking sheet. Bake at 450F, stirring occasionally, until they start to get crispy (usually around 30-45 minutes, but it depends). Turn off the oven and let them dry out some more for about 15-20 minutes, then eat. I like them still a little soft in the middle, but you can make them harder/crunchier if you want.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby hoob » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:14 am

I packed a lunch for my wife today of lima beans and mashed sweet potato. It was a jumbo potato and she did not want the whole thing so i mixed the remaining mashed sweet potato in with my breakfast oatmeal. It was outstanding. I also included a mashed up banana, cinnamon, and a sprinkle of walnuts.

It was my first time trying sweet potato with oatmeal. I don't know how I've never thought of it before.
hoob

Postby RusticBohemian » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Question to whoever might know...I'm not super familiar with dumplings, but don't they generally wrap about whatever is inside? So this recipe calls for boiling beans in a saucepan and then putting dough on top. So it's like a partial wrap-around dumpling? Or am I missing something? How are these dumplings?

Clary wrote:
I got the recipe for the dumplings from Bryanna Clark Grogan's book, "The
(Almost) No Fat Cookbook." I have cut the recipe in half and paraphrased the instructions.

Beans & Dumplings
Dumplings
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt
Mix together well. Pour in 1/4 cup water and mix well.

Beans & Dumplings
Pour 1 (16 oz) can of your favorite beans into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then drop small spoonfuls of dumpling dough on top of the beans.
Cover. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook about 10 min. or until dumplings are
done.
You can use any beans you like. If they are in a sauce, like chili beans or baked beans, don't drain. Otherwise, you can drain and rinse and then just add back an equivalent amount of water. Season plain beans as you like.
RusticBohemian

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:48 am

RusticBohemian wrote:Question to whoever might know...I'm not super familiar with dumplings, but don't they generally wrap about whatever is inside

No, they're just blobs of dough that you drop on top of a stew, chili, or soup, a meal with lots of liquids, and they cook up half boiled (bottom half) and half steamed (top half).

Usually it's just biscuit dough that's cooked wet instead of dry baked in the oven on a pan. When I was a kid my mom would take the whack 'em tubes of dough and use that, but I would use that recipe of Bryanna's and use whole wheat or white whole wheat flour.

It's been ages since I've done that, ages since I had any flour in this house except some rice flour for gravies. I wonder how that would work in an InstantPot recipe?
VeggieSue

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning