For Everyone Who's Dreamed of Hot Cocoa...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

For Everyone Who's Dreamed of Hot Cocoa...

Postby talkingmountain » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36 am

I recall people searching for a vegan hot cocoa mix on this or another of the forums I visit. At the time there were no options available.

Recently my local health food store started carrying a product called Ah!Laska Diary Free Hot Cocoa Mix. It's vegan, gluten- and wheat-free. Looks to be soy-free, too, though it doesn't specifically state so.

And it tastes really good!

It's low in fat (if I'm doing my math right, it looks like it's about 5% fat, not including fat in the milk substitute you add). The directions say to mix it with your favorite milk substitute, but that was actually too rich tasting for me. I just add hot water and a splash of almond milk.

Of course it's processed food, not something to make a habit of eating. But it sure is nice to be able to enjoy a cup by the fireplace once in a while on a cold winter's night.

So, thought I'd share the info in case anyone's still looking.

Nutritional Info:
http://www.ahlaska.com/Products/productdetail.aspx?s=760519100287:Organic+Non-Dairy+Chocolate+Mix+-+12+++++++++OZ.
talkingmountain

Recommended?

Postby SactoBob » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:54 am

Here are the

Ingredients

Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar, Organic Cocoa (Non-Alkaline), Organic Rice Syrup Solids, Organic Vanilla Powder, And Less Than 1% Carrageenan (An All-Natural Seaweed Extract Emulsifer) And Xanthan Gum (A Natural Thickener).

That is a boatload of processed simple sugars. Perhaps occasionally for somebody who didn't need to lose weight or didn't have diabetes? I don't know. Perhaps Jeff would reply. I can't imagine that this would be recommended as a regular inclusion to your meals.

This brings up a problem that I see a lot, and a mistake that I have made in the past. Just because a food doesn't contain meat or dairy or oil, it can't necessarily be made part of your diet.
SactoBob

My hot cocoa recipe

Postby funcrunch » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:50 pm

FWIW here's how I make vegan reduced-fat hot cocoa:

Heat up one cup of vanilla almond milk or soy milk on the stove (recommended) or in the microwave.

Add 1 tablespoon Wonderslim cocoa powder (99+% fat- and caffeine-free) and 4 teaspoons sugar. (Wonderslim says to use 2 tsp but I find that's not enough for my sweet tooth; YMMV.)

Whisk and enjoy.
funcrunch

Re: My hot cocoa recipe

Postby Quiver0f10 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:26 am

funcrunch wrote:FWIW here's how I make vegan reduced-fat hot cocoa:

Heat up one cup of vanilla almond milk or soy milk on the stove (recommended) or in the microwave.

Add 1 tablespoon Wonderslim cocoa powder (99+% fat- and caffeine-free) and 4 teaspoons sugar. (Wonderslim says to use 2 tsp but I find that's not enough for my sweet tooth; YMMV.)

Whisk and enjoy.

This is what I do but I use carob powder instead.
Jean
Quiver0f10

Postby vgnwitch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:07 am

A tip for those who make their own hot chocolate with cocoa ... mix the cocoa with the sugar and then mix into a paste with a bit of cold non-dairy milk before adding the hot milk. This keeps the cocoa from lumping.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning