Growing potatoes without seed potatoes?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Growing potatoes without seed potatoes?

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm

A few years ago I looked into growing potatoes, so I have a little head knowledge, but no actual experience. My question is, do you always have to have seed potatoes? I saved a couple of russets from a bag of regular eating potatoes that I bought several weeks ago that are non-GMO and are starting to get eyes and I anticipate them sprouting any day.

So far I've been able to still get potatoes, but I am concerned that as this pandemic probably goes on for some more weeks and possibly months, it may be harder and possibly impossible to get fresh potatoes (one grocery store I went to last week was completely out). Do you think I could use those 2 aforementioned russets in lieu of seed potatoes?

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts and expertise! :nod:
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: Growing potatoes without seed potatoes?

Postby Plumerias » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:57 pm

It probably won't work very well, see here. https://www.thespruce.com/what-are-seed ... es-4120142 Now, if you do a search for seed potatoes you will find that many a company sells them, sent at the appropriate time for planting in your location. I have no idea if that's an option for the home gardener at present, or if those businesses are closed. Make sure you look for options closest to you, as the varieties will be more suitable for your climate. Also make sure you're not looking at commercial websites, you most certainly cannot plant that much! You have no location information listed, so I cannot offer further thoughts. Good luck.
Plumerias

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 pm

There are multiple YouTube videos on how to grow potatoes from the varieties at the grocery store. They do need to be organic, because non-organic varieties are treated with “bud nip” to prevent sprouting.

I just watched a video earlier where they planted 34 lbs of potatoes and harvested 337 lbs, so a 10 fold return. That seems like a really good harvest, so set you expectations lower than that when figuring out how much you need to plant. The couple did not think it would be enough to last them through winter, so if you have more family members, that is another consideration.

We’re having similar thoughts over here. Since we’re stuck at home, there is no better time to get a garden going!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Morris » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:24 am

I have had success growing potatoes from those that I purchaesd from the grocery store and they sprouted. We buy potatoes directly from a farm each fall and was told that they can do this also but as each generation grows they become less fruitful and the quality is not as good as first generation.

I often cut the individual sprout, plant facing up. Once when I was turning my compost, I found potatoes had grown from some that threw out - and yes, I harvested them.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:22 pm

Plumerias wrote:It probably won't work very well, see here. https://www.thespruce.com/what-are-seed ... es-4120142 Now, if you do a search for seed potatoes you will find that many a company sells them, sent at the appropriate time for planting in your location. I have no idea if that's an option for the home gardener at present, or if those businesses are closed. Make sure you look for options closest to you, as the varieties will be more suitable for your climate. Also make sure you're not looking at commercial websites, you most certainly cannot plant that much! You have no location information listed, so I cannot offer further thoughts. Good luck.

Hello, thank you so much for replying! (I apologize for not having replied sooner. It was due to a variety of reasons including running out of data.)

The link you provided is excellent along with more links at the bottom of the article; thank you!

I had checked on-line for a company that's sent me catalogs in the past. They were out of stock of most of the varieties that they carry. By the time I checked again (after reading your post), they were out of all potatoes!

LOL--yeah, I don't think our neighbors would appreciate plowing up our entire property if I accidently purchased from a commercial company.
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Lyndzie wrote:There are multiple YouTube videos on how to grow potatoes from the varieties at the grocery store. They do need to be organic, because non-organic varieties are treated with “bud nip” to prevent sprouting.

I just watched a video earlier where they planted 34 lbs of potatoes and harvested 337 lbs, so a 10 fold return. That seems like a really good harvest, so set you expectations lower than that when figuring out how much you need to plant. The couple did not think it would be enough to last them through winter, so if you have more family members, that is another consideration.

We’re having similar thoughts over here. Since we’re stuck at home, there is no better time to get a garden going!

Thank you for your prompt reply! I haven't looked this year, but I did watch YouTube videos several years ago, more so on all the different planting techniques than what type of potato (grocery store vs. seed).

Quite awhile ago I had seen a man use used car tires where, as the plants grow, you stack another tire and add more soil. So when our car needed new tires, we kept the old ones. It wasn't until checking into it further (few years back) that people said that there are chemicals that can leach from the tires. :cry: Now that I think about, those tires are older than I think, probably at least 12 years old...so maybe they wouldn't leach anymore?

I'd rather do container gardening, but that may not yield enough. Thank you for providing that rough guideline of about a ten-fold yield. Obviously, especially as newbies, these would be supplemental potatoes. But any would be better than none, if that were to be the case.

Please keep us posted as to what you do. We might both be able to have potato growing diaries--LOL. :-D
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Morris wrote:I have had success growing potatoes from those that I purchaesd from the grocery store and they sprouted. We buy potatoes directly from a farm each fall and was told that they can do this also but as each generation grows they become less fruitful and the quality is not as good as first generation.

I often cut the individual sprout, plant facing up. Once when I was turning my compost, I found potatoes had grown from some that threw out - and yes, I harvested them.

Very interesting; thank you for replying!

It's good to know that you've had success growing potatoes from the grocery store! :nod: I would think that any potatoes you used that you purchased directly from your local farmer would grow even better since they wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) have any sprout inhibitors sprayed on them.

That is so funny about potatoes growing in your compost; I'd harvest them, too!

If you don't mind sharing, how did/do you plant them? How far apart, what type of soil, fertilizer, watering, etc.?
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:06 pm

So, this is what has transpired: I still have those 2 russets for safe keeping. :wink:

Since the nursery company was all sold out, as well as Amazon, I figured I'd have to venture out to the local hardware store, as I saw them there 2 seasons ago. But as I was getting ready to leave the house, it dawned on me, "I should check out Tractor Supply Company.". So I did, and I faced as much temptation as a carnivor in a butcher shop. They had so many wonderful plants that I wanted to buy--pink blueberries, mini kiwi and goji berry trees, grapes, asparagus, rhubarb, etc..

But, I eventually controlled myself and focused in on the potatoes--yes, they had seed potatoes--whoo hoo!! I bought more than I planned on, but I figured go big or go home, right?! I purchased a 5# bag of Yukon Gold, a 5# bag of Kennebec, and a 3# bag of Purple. All 3 bags were $5.99 each, far cheaper than if I could have bought them from the nursery catalog/on-line company. They also had red potatoes and russets.

So we have 13#s (and the 2 russets from the grocery store--LOL). So hopefully we'll get about a 130# harvest? I'm excited!! But a little worried that I over-bought--not harvest-wise, 130#s really isn't that much for a family of starchivores--but for growing space wise. We may have to dig in the earth, which I was kind of hoping to avoid...well see. I'll keep you potato-posted. :)
Mom+Me

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks for the tip to check out Tractor Supply. I’ll send my husband to check it out!

If you wanted to do container gardening, I’ve seen videos on planting them in 5 gallon buckets. Oftentimes you can the buckets free from a grocery store’s bakery - it’s what frosting comes in, and is food safe, so no leaching concerns. Just drill some holes for drainage and you are good to go!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby MINNIE » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Interesting discussion. Growing potatoes in straw bales is another possibility. Just do an online search and lots of info pops up.
As a coincidence, I also found a sprouting russet in my tater stash.

I decided to start it in large container. If it grows actual plants I will transplant and hope for potatoes.

They are pretty much sold out I'm my neighborhood but sweet potatoes are still in good supply
MINNIE

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:24 pm

I tried straw bale gardening a few years ago. It did not work for me. I also did not try potatoes. Next year I might try the Ruth Stout method. For now, we’re doing high-intensity raised beds.

I’m not sure potatoes would transplant well. Might interfere with tuber development.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:04 am

Lyndzie wrote:Thanks for the tip to check out Tractor Supply. I’ll send my husband to check it out!

If you wanted to do container gardening, I’ve seen videos on planting them in 5 gallon buckets. Oftentimes you can the buckets free from a grocery store’s bakery - it’s what frosting comes in, and is food safe, so no leaching concerns. Just drill some holes for drainage and you are good to go!

Hope your husband has as much success in finding and purchasing as I did. :)

Thank you not only for the tip of planting in a 5 gallon bucket, but also possibly getting some for free. We've successfully used 5 gallon buckets that we purchased from the hardware store to grow tomato plants. It's nice to be able to move them around with the metal handle. I believe they're usually a recycling code of 5 PP which is also BPA-free.

...just thinking, if we planted taters in the free buckets from the frosting, will we harvest sweet potatoes? :wink: Just kidding, of course!
Mom+Me

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning