What has happened to bread?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What has happened to bread?

Postby twointahoe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:04 am

what has happened to store bought bread?

Where is the good old family corner bakery?

Does anyone have an answer to what one can do to find Bread That is edible and free of lousy added fillers and WHEY, etc?

I know most will say make your own. Get a breadmaker machine.
At times is hard to find the time to do that....

I live in Southern CA. (Spring valley, SAN DIEGO COUNTY) now for the past 3 years.

I cannot find a decent bakery.

Even at so called "health stores" like SPROUTS, the bread selection is DISGUSTING and OVERPRICED. I saw a loaf of bread for 8.00!
Man what is going on....

Sorry for the rant but its making my effort to stay plant based a real challenge to find a variety...
twointahoe

Re: What has happened to bread?

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:28 am

Hi tointahoe,

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? They have a decent selection of breads that are compliant, taste decent, and don't "break the bank". We don't have any left, so I don't have the bag from it, but it's an organic one with seeds around the edges, does not contain oil, doesn't have horrible sodium, and has white and lavender coloring on the bag. It may cost more money in California, but we get it for under $4/loaf by us. Good luck!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning