Vitamin C

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vitamin C

Postby Strawberry60 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:11 am

Please could you help me with a Vitamin C query.
My diet is mainly steamed veg consisting generally of brocolli, carrots and onions. Other things are included but these are my mainstay.
My starches currently are oatmeal, peas, quinoa, sweet potato.
I wonder if as this is a mainly cooked diet wether I am getting enough Vitamin C.
The reason I ask is because I get a lot of mouth ulcers and despite my teeth being 100% healthy, zero cavities, my gums are receding. Dentists do a de scale but still it seems to progress, albeit slowly. But I would rather it wasn't happening.
From my research, which has been fairly limited, it seems that low intake of Vitamin C could be a contributing factor.
At the moment I am finding it very painful to brush my teeth as my lower gums are sporting several ulcers.
I have currently eliminated corn from my diet because I suspect there may be an intolerance. I don't eat any gluten containing grains as experience shows me that my body doesn't like them.
So am not sure how to proceed from here.
If it is Vitamin C what would be my best non fruit supply.
I have the feeling that I read somewhere that 1 floret of brocolli supplies all the Vitamin C required, so as a precaution I have been munching on raw brocolli before each meal.
I would be pleased to hear your opinion.
Will it matter in 10 minutes. 10 hours. 10 days. 10 weeks. 10 months. 10 years.
Strawberry60

Re: Vitamin C

Postby Strawberry60 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:10 am

Apologies to whoever picks this question up. I by mistake posted it in the wrong forum. Not sure how to shift it to somewhere more appropriate.
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Or maybe whoever reads it will be able to point me in the right direction xx
Strawberry60

Postby sirdle » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:24 am

If you are getting enough calories and are starch-based with a selection of veggies (which it sounds like you are) you are almost certainly getting enough vitamin C.

If in doubt you can enter everything you eat for a week into Cronometer and check. When I checked my own food, I was getting about 3-4 times the daily recommended amount without doing anything special.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Strawberry60 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Sirdle
Thank you for your reply. It was good to hear from you.
I have started to write down what I am eating so do have a record to refer to.
However am not too sure what a cronometer is. Perhaps you would explain that.
I look forward to learning about it.
Am just puzzled why I am getting these fairly persistent mouth problems.
Maybe it is an intolerance, that's all I can think of.
Anyway thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Strawberry60

Postby f00die » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:02 pm

f00die

Postby Willijan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:42 pm

This makes me wonder what other problems B-12 might treat.
Willijan

Postby sirdle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:48 am

Strawberry60 wrote:However am not too sure what a cronometer is. Perhaps you would explain that.
I look forward to learning about it.

Cronometer is a website where you can enter the foods you eat and it will tell how the vitamin and mineral content. You have to sign up to use it, but it is free. I kept track of everything I ate for 3 months and finally decided that if I followed John McDougall's (and Jeff Novick's) recommendations then I didn't need to worry. I got all the vitamins and minerals I needed just by eating real food: fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

https://cronometer.com/

Strawberry60 wrote:Am just puzzled why I am getting these fairly persistent mouth problems.
Maybe it is an intolerance, that's all I can think of.[/quote

Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. I have no idea. :)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Strawberry60 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:28 am

Hi sirdle
Thank you for getting back to me with that. I will definitely investigate it. Sounds very interesting.
Agree with you 100% there. Definitely won't go wrong by eating the foods that nature intended.
Thank you again.
Strawberry60

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:18 pm

Strawberry60 wrote:The reason I ask is because I get a lot of mouth ulcers and despite my teeth being 100% healthy, zero cavities, my gums are receding. Dentists do a de scale but still it seems to progress, albeit slowly. But I would rather it wasn't happening.
From my research, which has been fairly limited, it seems that low intake of Vitamin C could be a contributing factor.
At the moment I am finding it very painful to brush my teeth as my lower gums are sporting several ulcers.

Recently listened to a podcast that interviewed a plant based dentist in Australia.
https://www.corinnenijjer.com/the-podcast/2019/4/23/episode-87-dentist-helen-veronina-explains-how-a-plant-based-diet-can-help-prevent-tooth-decay
Most of the focus was about cavities and sugar. Good tips about when and how to brush and floss.

Suggest consulting with knowledgable professional if possible?
michaelswarm

Postby Strawberry60 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Michaelswarm
Hi. Thanks for taking the time to recommend that podcast. I have just glanced at it and noticed it is over an hour long so won't look at it now as just about to turn in. Will however be tuning in very soon.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Strawberry60

Postby americaninca46 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:41 am

Hi Strawberry, My friend has trouble with mouth sores.
She has found using a natural toothpaste helps a lot. My dentist also mentioned that using an electric toothbrush will be more gentle on the gums than manual rushing. He suggested a Phillips sonic. Grinding your teeth at night will cause receding gums also. I find sensodyne toothpaste helpful for the nerve pain, but probably not good for the mouth sores. Hope you find relief soon. I notice once i began WFPB eating my mouth sores went away. All the best, Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Strawberry60 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 am

americaninca46
Thank you so much for commenting on my question.
I haven't used normal tooth paste for many years now as I discovered through trial and error that I was sensitive to SLS, so have found ones that don't contain that for teeth cleaning. That is a very good tip and one which I would also recommend, so thank you for suggesting it.
I have used an electric tooth brush in the past but unfortunately the problem persisted.
That's why I was wondering if it was maybe a vitamin deficiency issue. However as you say, eating WFPB will probably rectify that deficiency anyway.
Also I do tend to have quite a few food intolerances. A few years ago before I was eating this way I noticed that every time I had corn products such as pop corn or Doritos I would get an inflamed roof of mouth and also an earache. I seemed to be ok eating regular corn as a veggie. However recently my ocasional consumption of corn as a veggie became an every day or even twice a day consumption. So I am now excluding it from my diet for a few months and then I will re test and see what happens.
I am fortunately not suffering pain from the receding gums, they are unsightly and of course there could be long term implications.
I recently read a medical review of the use of frankincense oil in removal and prevention of plaque and reversal of gum disease so am giving that a go. It is an oil that I tend to use so am now introducing it into oral care.
If I see improvements I will post back here as so many people have been kind enough to consider this question and offer helpful suggestions.
Many thanks to you x :)
Strawberry60

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:03 am

A relative of mine mentioned that since taking B12 his cankers are less and lasting not as long. Are you taking B12?
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Strawberry60 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Sorry I didn't thank you for this sooner. I overlooked it by mistake. I have had a look at the article and it does seem to make sense. My mouth just keeps breaking out for no apparent reason. Will definitely be investing in B12.
Many thanks for your help. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Strawberry60

Postby Strawberry60 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Ejeff wrote:A relative of mine mentioned that since taking B12 his cankers are less and lasting not as long. Are you taking B12?

Hi nice to hear from you and to get a personal experience.
I just noticed I had a previous poster mention B12. Looks like I should give it a go.
Thanks for taking an interest
Strawberry60

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning