What is your "go to" starch?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What is your "go to" starch?

Postby RussT » Thu May 23, 2019 5:27 pm

My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE starch is rolled oats. I especially like the old fashioned larger type as apposed to the smaller "quick oats." I've been eating raw oats for for over 35 years with a little bit of almond milk, oat milk, or often just plain water. I never tire of the taste and I get so much energy every time I eat it.

How about you? What's your go to starch?
Last edited by RussT on Thu May 23, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RussT

Re: What is your "go to" starch?

Postby Jobet » Thu May 23, 2019 5:58 pm

I love oats, but have an oat sensitivity, even gluten free oats. My favorite starch is sweet potato. I cook them in my instant pot for the week, or bake in the oven. I can eat sweet potaoes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and as a snack. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby RussT » Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Jobet wrote:I love oats, but have an oat sensitivity, even gluten free oats. My favorite starch is sweet potato. I cook them in my instant pot for the week, or bake in the oven. I can eat sweet potaoes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and as a snack. :)

Sweet potatoes are my second favorite starch! They are good with some cinnamon sprinkled on top or even plain.
RussT

Postby Willijan » Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 pm

My favorite starches are oatmeal (thick-cut regular) and Irish potatoes. Nothing else compares. Unfortunately, it's hard to get good Irish potatoes year round where I live (Tennessee), although actually I had the same problem when I lived in Kansas. I am very picky about the condition of the skin, whether there are black spots inside, and of course whether they have turned green.
Willijan

Postby Daydream » Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 pm

I love beans (black beans, pintos, Navy beans and lima beans) but unfortunately we are limited to only 1 cup a day. :(

I also love Japanese sweet potatoes! :-D
Daydream

Postby Jobet » Fri May 24, 2019 3:24 am

RussT wrote:Sweet potatoes are my second favorite starch! They are good with some cinnamon sprinkled on top or even plain.

Oh, yes, sweet potato is awesome with cinnamon. :thumbsup: My second favorite starch is quinoa. I love rice, but it doesn't love me, so I replace it with quinoa.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby debknott » Fri May 24, 2019 9:28 am

Oatmeal, rice and beans. These are my three favorites.
debknott

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am

I would say my favorite is the good, old Russet Potato! I do also really love any of the various "dry" type sweet potatoes, brown basmati rice, and lentils. I eat all of them pretty regularly. :nod:
Mark Cooper

Postby Starchyme » Fri May 24, 2019 10:58 pm

Potatoes potatoes, and more potatoes any type - russet, gold, red, multi-colored, etc. But my fave way to eat them is still baked with chives and dill. Yum!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby RussT » Sat May 25, 2019 8:49 am

Jobet wrote:
RussT wrote:Sweet potatoes are my second favorite starch! They are good with some cinnamon sprinkled on top or even plain.

Oh, yes, sweet potato is awesome with cinnamon. :thumbsup: My second favorite starch is quinoa. I love rice, but it doesn't love me, so I replace it with quinoa.

Do you have an allergy to quinoa?
RussT

Postby Jobet » Sat May 25, 2019 9:27 am

RussT wrote:
Jobet wrote:My second favorite starch is quinoa. I love rice, but it doesn't love me, so I replace it with quinoa.

Do you have an allergy to quinoa?

I have a sensitivity to brown rice, so I use quinoa to replace it. I like white rice, but I feel quinoa is better for me. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Hal » Sun May 26, 2019 8:40 am

My favorite is regular old spaghetti (with lots of tomato garlic sauce). If i don't get spaghetti during the day, i will be hungry no matter how many potatoes (within reason) or oatmeal i eat. To keep the pasta to a reasonable level i eat lots of oatmeal and potatoes and beans. I really need to expand my menu, but there just never seems to be time to learn to cook. Maybe soon i will expand the menu ... :)
Hal

Postby patty » Sun May 26, 2019 2:39 pm

White potatoes. Lately I have been making mash potatoes with water and a couple of tablespoons from the Caesar dressing from Dr. McDougall's Newsletter. The recipe: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/dec/recipes.htm The mash potatoes follow a green salad with the dressing.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Idgie » Sun May 26, 2019 5:31 pm

Potatoes (any kind) are probably my faves, but I just love starches in general, so I tend to focus on one for a long time and then switch it up. If i had to choose just one, though, for health and deliciousness maximized, it would probably be potatoes (white, sweet, or a combination).
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 pm

I eat mostly rice for starch. Short grain, jasmine, brown, white and/or sticky, I usually keep about five kinds on hand, and use different types for different dishes.

I also eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every day.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning