Ridiculously easy curry

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Ridiculously easy curry

Postby pundit999 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 am

This is a variant of the very popular Indian dish “aloo matar Tamatar”
Literally “potatoes, peas and tomatoes “

We make it often. So easy, inexpensive and most importantly, tasty.

I use some cumin to roast in the beginning and curry leaves. I also add a pinch of Hing(asoefida)
I also garnish with fresh cilantro. But it is great without all that.
You can add spinach to get the serving of greens if you want. Eat with brown rice, tortillas or all by itself as a complete and satisfying meal. This really is comfort food.
Last edited by pundit999 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
pundit999

Postby openmind » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Idgie wrote:Tossed this in a pan the other day so that I could heat something quickly and not heat up the apartment too much, and it's so good! I have been eating it cold and hot for three days and it's still really yummy.

1 can of whole new potatoes, cut in chunks
1 can of diced tomatoes, not drained
1 onion, chopped
1 cup (or you can use a whole can if you want) cooked or canned garbanzos
1 tbsp Madras curry powder (or any favorite spices -- I bet this would also be good with Mexican or Italian spicing)

Throw everything in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and boil until the sauce gets thick, about 20 minutes. Since it's all fully cooked, you could also drain the tomatoes and just heat it until everything's hot, but I like the way the flavors blended.

I wonder if throwing in some frozen cauliflower would be good too?
openmind

Postby patty » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:55 pm

I sautéd diced onions and carrots in the food processor. I cut up some potatoes I had pressured cooked and added them with water and curry. Then added fresh spinach. It was delicious and having the potatoes already cooked and the onion and carrots already prepped made it quick to cook to eat.

Aloha, patty
patty

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning