best sweet potatoes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

best sweet potatoes

Postby Hal » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:23 pm

so I went to my sister in laws for Christmas and had some of her sweet potatoes. It was like the best thing I had ever tasted (for three years) so I was certain there would be butter or oil or something in it, but it was just yams and sweet potatoes whipped by mashing for a long time, and then put back inot the oven to cook some more. I think I will try making it, and if it's as good as it was at Chritmas, i'll add it to my regular WOE. :) too much sugar for regular use?
Hal

Re: best sweet potatoes

Postby Drew_ab » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Sweet potatoes are incredible aren't they? The fact that one of the longest lived populations of all time, the Okinawan's in Japan, ate the bulk of their calories from sweet potatoes tells me that you need not worry about the sugar in them.
Drew_ab

Postby patty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:37 pm

I made for someone a Okinawa sweet potato. I put it the blender but the Okinawa sweet potatoes are very dense in consistency so I added some water. It is not uncommon for soy milk or coconut milk to be mixed in to make patties. At the deli at Whole Foods you see them. I hadn’t thought of rebaking after adding the water. Of course just cooked and sliced they are delicious.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 am

One thing I know that is a wonderful addition to whipped, Japanese sweet potatoes (very similar to Okinawan I think) is orange zest.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Hal » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:52 pm

So what is the best kitchen tool to get to mash and whip like that? That's the part I forget to ask my Sister in law. :)
Hal

Postby debknott » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:31 am

Hal wrote:So what is the best kitchen tool to get to mash and whip like that? That's the part I forget to ask my Sister in law. :)

Hal, While you are at it, could you get your sister in law to give you her exact recipe. I think lots of us would like to try it. Thanks!

Deborah
debknott

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Probably food processor would be easiest. You could do it in high powered blender but a lot of tamping and fiddling would be necessary. In an FP you would not need to add any liquid, just let it run and after a minute or two, stop and scrape down sides, run a bit more, and done. And don't forget the orange zest ;)
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning