Breakfast on the go ideas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Breakfast on the go ideas

Postby victw » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering what folks have for breakfast when they don't have a lot of time for breakfast?
A new rule is being implemented at work that we can't eat at our desks. I generally try to spend my break times getting up and taking a walk to the corner and back.
I already get up fairly early combined with the fact that I'm generally not too hungry for breakfast until 8 or 9 when I'm at work.
I'm not keen on the idea of skipping because the junk food has not been banned and their are too many candy dishes. If I get too hungry there is too much temptation.

I generally try to pack as much nutrition into my breakfast as possible it tends towards savory with lots of vegetables.
I'm open to ideas. Portable is probably the biggest consideration.

I know - it's a first world problem. But wow. Trying to stay healthy in a world that doesn't seem to encourage it.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Re: Breakfast on the go ideas

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:48 pm

victw wrote:Hi all,

I'm wondering what folks have for breakfast when they don't have a lot of time for breakfast?
A new rule is being implemented at work that we can't eat at our desks. I generally try to spend my break times getting up and taking a walk to the corner and back.
I already get up fairly early combined with the fact that I'm generally not too hungry for breakfast until 8 or 9 when I'm at work.
I'm not keen on the idea of skipping because the junk food has not been banned and their are too many candy dishes. If I get too hungry there is too much temptation.

I generally try to pack as much nutrition into my breakfast as possible it tends towards savory with lots of vegetables.
I'm open to ideas. Portable is probably the biggest consideration.

I know - it's a first world problem. But wow. Trying to stay healthy in a world that doesn't seem to encourage it.

Vic

I rarely ever eat breakfast, but I imagine any type of McDougall-friendly food one can eat out of hand (portable) would work? Things that come to mind off the top of my head include roasted or boiled potatoes, sushi rolls or rice balls, Summer rolls, savory muffins, oat and bean burgers or patties, various types of wraps/burritos, sandwiches, pupusas, rolled bean tacos, baked oatmeal, and Fatfree Vegan's Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches. Fruit might also be an option. A drinkable soup in a thermos might also work.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Geo just had a great post about his eating habits now that he’s working and can’t eat on the job. I used to make overnight oats and eat them while driving. Not the safest option, but it worked for me. Another option might be to have your last meal earlier, so that you are hungry when you get up.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby calvin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 pm

victw wrote:...when they don't have a lot of time for breakfast?...

Prepare breakfast the night before. Warm it up next morning at a time of your choosing. Or eat it cold if no access to a microwave. I did that for years when I was working.
calvin

Update Re: Breakfast on the go ideas

Postby victw » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi all,

I've made Jeff's bean burgers two weeks in a row. One of these with some hummus sandwiched between a slice of bread cut in half has been the bulk of my breakfast. I'm looking at a muffin type version of this recipe because I'd like to get a little more veggies into the mix and eat less bread. It's a temptation to have bread around and it's calorie dense.

Instead of a salad that I can eat with a fork I'm taking cut up veggies.

This is turning out to be an interesting challenge. I was in slight panic mode when I first posted because I had just recently felt like I had worked out some good habits. And this was messing with some of my habits. The upside is that this feels simpler.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning