Sauces and dressings

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sauces and dressings

Postby exercise_guru » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am

I would love some recommendations for Sauces and dressings. I am new to Mcdougal but I have been dairy free for 20 years. To manage this I always take Huge delicious salads and a baked potatoes with me to family get togethers. In the past I take a homemade dressing and sauce to share. It is my go to solution and I would like to stick with it.

Ofcourse there is salsa but I would love some
recipes or store bought solutions I could take along. Anyone have a recipe they love? Jeff any tips?

I am also working to make some homemade sauces for home use because my family likes to make a lot of these meals below and my dairy free sauces are pretty difficult to adapt to Mcdougal. Ideally I would like to use a few herbs and spices to mix it up .
Potato Bar
Taco night
Pasta Night
Rice and stir Fry nights.
Pizza nights
Indian Food Night. ( I make homemade naan so just trying to figure out some oil free Mcdougal recipes with curries etc)

Challenge is it needs to be Dairy Free, Soy Free, No Nutritional Yeast, Gluten free and Mcdougal happy.

For meals I also store Beans and grains or cooked squash as my prep. Then I need some sauce to throw in at dinner time. I would like a few good ones to keep the variety up there and get everyone to enjoy this new eating without going through culture shock.
exercise_guru

Re: Sauces and dressings

Postby hazelrah » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:10 pm

exercise_guru wrote: Anyone have a recipe they love?

Hi exercise_guru,

This is my current favorite:
https://www.shelikesfood.com/vegan-jalapeno-ranch-dressing-2
I drop the cashews to 1 -2 tablespoons and do not soak them, just add them before whirring.

I am on a mission to develop a good portfolio of salad dressings. My approach in the last month or so has been to try to get about 80g of fiber from raw veggies each day, usually about 80 g of fiber worth of red and green cabbage suffused with this dressing. It's been working great after about 2 years of unspectacular performance sticking with the regular program. My wife is a big fan of honey mustard dressings and I know the E2 and Esselstyn folks tend to favor those, but they grate on me after a while. I like the ranch enough to last a while longer with it, but I am starting to reach a limit and would really like something out of the ordinary, maybe some big tomato style mixture, so I'll be watching this thread to see if anybody with some creativity chimes in. The Bragg's apple cider vinegar seems to add a nice punch to most of my experiments.

Good luck with your search. Hope you'll report back if you find something that knocks your socks off.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Re: Sauces and dressings

Postby frozenveg » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:17 pm

Mark, I just tried the dressing recipe--I used 1/4 cup of cashews because that's what dropped into my measuring cup from my container. It is zippy and delicious, so far. But I looked at your post a bit closer, since I was tasting the dressing (with the sugar snap peas I had in a bowl already), and I am wondering--80 grams of FIBER? from cabbage? Cron-O-Meter tells me that that is 40 cups of raw green cabbage. You are not seriously trying to eat that daily, are you? I could see 80 grams of cabbage (a cup or so), even 480 grams of cabbage (6 cups). But 40 cups? Did you mis-type?

Great recipe, though--I may use it without the jalapeño, adding sweet peppers or something instead!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning