Sweet potatoes are great but need help..

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sweet potatoes are great but need help..

Postby Hal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 pm

I have noticed that sweet potatoes taste great but I get tired of the taste quickly and it doesn't have the right texture a lot of the time so then don't eat as much as I should. What is your all time favorite sweet potato recipe guaranteed to please? Thanksgiving is next week here in Canada and I thought it would also be great to bring some McDougall recipe that will convert my family or at least perk their interest in this WOE. Sweet potatoes are big at our Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Hal

Re: Sweet potatoes are great but need help..

Postby AnnaSpanna » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:00 am

I eat them a lot. Didn’t used to be a big fan but they’ve sort of grown on me.

I slow bake them and use the flesh when making a sweet potato nice cream. Two medium ones with a couple of cups of Plant milk, sweetened to taste and flavour with cocoa for chocolate nice cream or pumpkin pie spice. Chill and run through an ice cream maker.
I make an African vegetable stew with them. I’ll look the recipe up and post it later.

I have this one in the mean time. A few changes needed. Lose the oil. Sub the coconut milk for Plant milk (I use soy) plus coconut essence. About a tsp per cup. And I don’t use the fish sauce.
http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-thai-sweet-potato-curry
AnnaSpanna

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:51 am

I eat them, hot or cold, sprinkled with cinnamon.

I put the sweet potatoes in a cold oven, then turn the oven on to 425 deg. After 70 min (3" diameter), I turn the oven off and let the potatoes sit in the oven as it cools for another 30 min. Most of the time, the flesh is very creamy (which is the way I like them) and the skin is very easy to peel, but occasionally they are still a bit 'starchy'.

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Plumerias » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:03 am

My favorite was to use sweet potatoes for a holiday like Thanksgiving is in this old thread..... Happy holiday to you and yours. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50271&p=516664#p516664
Plumerias

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Hal wrote:I have noticed that sweet potatoes taste great but I get tired of the taste quickly and it doesn't have the right texture a lot of the time so then don't eat as much as I should. What is your all time favorite sweet potato recipe guaranteed to please? Thanksgiving is next week here in Canada and I thought it would also be great to bring some McDougall recipe that will convert my family or at least perk their interest in this WOE. Sweet potatoes are big at our Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks guys.

Cheers,

I like sweet potatoes in curries and stews. A nice holiday sweet potato dish is tzimmes. I've made a number of times for Thanksgiving. You can find different versions online.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/sweet-potato-tzimmes/ (saute onion with water instead of oil)
http://karicooks.blogspot.com/2008/10/tzimmes.html (my old recipe. The sweet potato and carrot are mashed and layered with apple. You could also use another sweetener besides rice syrup. Honey is traditional.)
https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/stovetop-tzimmes/ (stovetop recipe with honey)
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Bkworm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Last night I felt like I had eaten a gourmet meal based on a sweet potato. I cooked the sweet potato and mashed it up. Then I sprinkled pepper on it. Next, I added some crushed, unsweetened pineapple and topped that with steamed broccoli. Absolutely delicious. This combination has been a favorite meal since starting this way of eating. Since Irma deposited an ancient pine tree in the middle of our home on 9/10, I had been eating the same meals for three weeks. Fresh fruit for breakfast, a huge green salad from the local Publix grocery store for either lunch or dinner with some type of legumes and/or corn added, or plain baked potatoes from Wendy's with a bit of oil free bbq sauce. Tried various restaurants the first couple of days after Irma came through and could not get any other compliant foods.

Had stocked up on canned goods, quinoa, some greens, water for the storm with plans to cook on our gas stove. However, the tree came down in the middle of our home into the kitchen and family room where everything was located. Water raining down 10 hours after the tree fell, destroyed the stove. What the tree didn't destroy the humidity over eight days without power did the rest. Ever seen a roll of toilet paper curl up due to humidity? Had to start immediately Monday morning packing and removing all belongings from house before mold moved in and destroyed furniture, electronics, walls, ceilings, etc. Putting in 14-hour days trying to salvage as much of our lives as possible left little time to even think about cooking much less having plates, cookware, stove, etc. to utilize.

Finally in a rental for the next 6-12 months so am starting to acquire groceries, dishes, cookware, etc. Insurance furnishing a lot but not providing what I am used to having to prepare meals. Just thankful to have a clean, safe, house to stay in for the duration. Know
it will all work out in the end. Never thought I would say I am so glad to be cooking again. Cooking has always been something I did because I had to, not because I enjoyed it. But have to admit I missed the delicious meals I could easily prepare before Irma.
Bkworm

Postby Hal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 am

Thanks everyone. Sorry to hear you were caught in the storm and best of luck getting things back in order, BKworm.
Hal

Postby PJK » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am

Cooks Illustrated recently published a piece on the best way to bake sweet potatoes.

Basically, just 2 steps:

Microwave sweet potatoes until their internal temp reaches 200 F. (Takes about 10 mins. Use a wand thermometer to be sure.)

Then bake them in the oven at 425 F. for 1 hour.

I've tried twice, both times worked deliciously.
PJK

Postby SilverDollar123 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:50 am

I usually microwave a large sweet potato,mash with a fork and put med.salsa on it.Mmmm You have the sweet with the spices
&tang of the salsa-to me its a nice combo. RAS :)
SilverDollar123

Postby Bkworm » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 am

SilverDollar1213,

That is why I like the combination I make with a sweet potato. You have the natural sweetness of the sweet potato topped with black pepper. Then the crushed, unsweetened pineapple next topped by the steamed broccoli. Sweet plus savory. Will have to try the salsa on top. Problem is, I still haven't found a salsa that I really like whether it is bottled or I make it. What brand do you use?
Bkworm

Postby Bougainvillea » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:52 pm

I also have a hard time eating very many potatoes. I really like sweet potatoes in soup, though. Not sure if your group is much into soup, but I bet there's a creamy sweet potato soup out there to die for.

If I was going to wing it from scratch, I'd boil the sweet potatoes, then cool them, then peel them. Then, I'd blend them or put them in a food processor and add some plant milk or cream, and in the seasonings, I'd probably add some ginger, maybe even some cinnamon.
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Bougainvillea wrote:I also have a hard time eating very many potatoes. I really like sweet potatoes in soup, though. Not sure if your group is much into soup, but I bet there's a creamy sweet potato soup out there to die for.

If I was going to wing it from scratch, I'd boil the sweet potatoes, then cool them, then peel them. Then, I'd blend them or put them in a food processor and add some plant milk or cream, and in the seasonings, I'd probably add some ginger, maybe even some cinnamon.

The Butterfly Effect had a soup recently with sweet potatoes and squash and carrots. She used roasted vegs and tossed them into the instant pot w/veg broth, but one could do the same thing on the stove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWs3CagpNCY

I think the less sweet yellow sweet potatoes might be good for a creamy base in some kind of cream of broccoli.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby greentea » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 pm

One of my favourite ways to eat sweet potato is with red lentils. I often make this dal recipe (skip the oil) which is so easy to throw together. I will improvise and switch up spices depending on what I have on hand. I'll also add extra veggies. Yesterday's batch had added celery and zucchini. It's great on it's own or served over rice, quinoa or baked potato. Sometimes I'll add extra water to make it a more brothy.
http://www.vegweb.com/recipes/sweet-potato-dal
greentea

Postby Hal » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:56 pm

So many great things to try. Thanks, everyone.
Hal

Postby veg tom » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:54 am

I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes but I put them in the air fryer and that works for me.
A is A
veg tom

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning