Delicious Split Pea Soup?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Delicious Split Pea Soup?

Postby Hal » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Is there a delicious French-Canadian (yellow) split pea McDougall legal soup? I am having teeth meshing issues and have been having some indigestion problems, and pea soup sounds like it would sooth my stomach so well right now... MMmmm. comfort food, or so i recall. Or failing that, any sure fire stomach soother that is also a meal. thanks.
Hal

Re: Delicious Split Pea Soup?

Postby Hal » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:00 am

UPDATE: OK, i just had a big plate of some good old spaghetti and it has settled my stomach pretty well. Regular packaged 'Catelli' spagetti with liberal amount of pure tomato sauce and garlic and basil and a pinch of nutritional yeast. I add a heaping teaspoon of commercial 'low sodium', oil free spaghetti sauce to add a little sugar and salt. So simple but it tastes great. A teaspoon of the commercial sauce is actually a little too much salt, and may even be a little too sweet for my salt/sugar free acclimatized palate - I'll try a level teaspoon next time. So easy even i can't mess the recipe up. Hopefully i can put a pound on this week. :)
Hal

Postby Plumerias » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:01 am

Plumerias

Postby Vegankit » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:51 am

I'm glad you posted this question - I used to love canned Habitant Pea Soup - haven't had it in many years and didn't know how I could recreate the "bacon" flavor at home eating this way. I found a vegan recipe by Bryanna Clark Grogan. Omit the sesame oil. If you make it, please post back and compare the taste to Habitant's Pea Soup.

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2 ... e-aux.html
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Hal » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks so much. i'm pouring over these recipes after having my second bowl of spaghetti of the day. My energy is coming back.

Tonight i hope to try mashed potato pancakes with low-sodium Ketchup - putting the potatoes on to boil now. I'm thinking i'll try beans and chopped onion in the potato mash.. Any other ideas to make potato pancakes pop?

What is the best substitute for the oil in these pea soup recipes? Or does it not matter to omit the oil without a substitute?

...and is the 'instant pot' what i should get for this?
Hal

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:41 pm

I've never seen any need for oil in any soup or stew. You're cooking in water/stock. If a recipe calls for sautéing veggies before adding other ingredients, do so in water or stock. Browse some of Mary's recipes and writings for more info.

Split pea soups are easy to make. Just omit any oil or pork products and adjust seasonings to your taste.
vgpedlr

Postby Spiral » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:01 am

vgpedlr wrote:I've never seen any need for oil in any soup or stew. You're cooking in water/stock. If a recipe calls for sautéing veggies before adding other ingredients, do so in water or stock. Browse some of Mary's recipes and writings for more info.

Split pea soups are easy to make. Just omit any oil or pork products and adjust seasonings to your taste.

Personally, when I make split pea soup, it usually ends up being a split pea and potato soup. I think adding peeled, chopped, pre-microwaved potatoes makes it taste really delicious.
Spiral

Postby Vegankit » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Echoing what others said - no need for the oil - just leave it out.

I used to make bean soup all the time on the stove top - it's easy to do...................but I bought an Instant Pot and I love it. I use it to make oatmeal, soups, cook beans - it's so much faster and easier - I can walk away and not have to watch a pot that might boil over or cook dry. I love it so much I bought a second one when I realized there were times I needed two. You don't need a pressure cooker to eat this way, but if you find you are using lots of recipes that could be cooked in a pressure cooker - then consider buying one.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning