Lentil Loaf

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lentil Loaf

Postby kirstykay » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Anyone have a REALLY GOOD recipe for a lentil loaf that is MWL compliant? The one I LOVED had tofu in it. So I'm looking for a new one, but I want it to taste amazing and have the consistency of meatloaf (or close).

My son and his girlfriend are coming for Spring Break, and I'm determined to cook food that is compliant and delicious. Any and all ideas welcome. Thanks!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Re: Lentil Loaf

Postby Yomom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 pm

Kirstykay, sorry the one I love is "Lentil Loaf" by Mary McDougall, not MWL-compliant as it contains tofu.
Yomom

Postby Willijan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:55 am

Yes, I have a great recipe for lentil loaf--and I usually hate lentil loaf. This one is from the Forks Over Knives online recipes:
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... and-gravy/

It does call for pecans, but as an optional ingredient.

I have not made the gravy, or served it with mashed potatoes, but I'm sure they'd be delicious. I just eat it plain, or in pita bread. My husband eats it with hot ketchup on top. It has become a staple for us; we try to always have some in the frig.

In my opinion it is even better with up to a pound of mushrooms per loaf, and maybe a little extra celery. I use dried herbs, except for fresh rosemary. One thing I have noticed is that it tastes a lot better if you make sure it isn't too moist. Make sure your sautéed vegetables, and the cooked lentils and rice, aren't too wet.

Oh, also I don't put it in the food processor anymore. I like it with lots of texture, so I just mix all the ingredients together by hand after they're cooked. It's chunkier, with more texture that way.
Willijan

Postby kirstykay » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:51 am

Thank you, Willijan! Looks great! :-D I'm going to try it today!

kirstykay

Postby jamietwo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:14 pm

This one is amazing! It does contain 2 TBS of chia seeds and 2 TBS of tahini, plus ketchup and tamari. I don't make the topping for it - I just serve it with mashed potatoes and gravy.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/dr ... -loaf.html
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Willijan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:24 pm

I hope you will let us know what you think, kirstykay!
Willijan

Postby kirstykay » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Willijan, I made it today, and it was delicious! I added some diced carrots and dic3d cauliflower to increase the veggies, which worked nicely. It had a wonderful flavor and after letting it sit to cool, it firmed up nicely. I didn't add the nuts, and didn't miss them. Thanks for the recipe! My husband really liked it, too, and said it would be a hit with the kids! My son told me today that his girlfriend loves lentils! I will definitely try this out on them!

kirstykay

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi Kirsty,this was shared by Terri from NC. called Veggie BBQ Balls, also makes a great "meat loaf"

2 Cups of cooked bulger 1 1/2 cups of dry whole oats
1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs (2-3 slices of ww bread)
1 Can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 small diced onion
2 stalks of celery
1/2 green pepper
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
3 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup of tomatoe sauce
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 tsp tyme
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp pepper Barb q Sauce

Mix all together like meatloaf form into balls Place on baking sheet with parchment paper
Bake 350 o 30 minutes....take out of over cover with thin coating of bbq sauce & bake another 15 minutes.

or put in meat loaf like pan & bake. Enjoy. I use this recipe a lot. :nod:
SilverDollar123

Postby kirstykay » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks Jamietwo and Silverdollar...I will have fun experimenting with these recipes. I appreciate it!

kirstykay

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning