It is Jabong season in Hawaii...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

It is Jabong season in Hawaii...

Postby patty » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:02 pm

It takes a little work peeling the a Jabong fruit.. but it is delicious. It has a tart-sweet taste some what like a grapefruit. Mixes well with pineapple and other fruit for a fruit salad or just eaten as a snack. They are in such a abundance, families give them away.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: It is Jabong season in Hawaii...

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Had to look that one up. Same as pomelo which also grow in Florida and some in backyards in Southern California. Tasty!!!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Vegankit » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:32 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Had to look that one up. Same as pomelo which also grow in Florida and some in backyards in Southern California. Tasty!!!
I looked it up too - and yes, we call it pomelo. I'm not fond of it myself but I sometimes buy it for DH.

Enjoy it Patti while it's available.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby patty » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:48 am

Vegankit wrote:
GeoffreyLevens wrote:Had to look that one up. Same as pomelo which also grow in Florida and some in backyards in Southern California. Tasty!!!
I looked it up too - and yes, we call it pomelo. I'm not fond of it myself but I sometimes buy it for DH.

Enjoy it Patti while it's available.

It takes quite a bit of work to peel. I have one sitting and waiting on my counter now. They taste better when someone prepares them for you:) There is a art in getting the fruit out in whole segments. I haven't mastered it as yet. The ones I have tasted don't have the same intensity of grapefruit but are enjoyable. I see why your DH enjoys them.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 am

patty wrote:It takes quite a bit of work to peel. I have one sitting and waiting on my counter now. They taste better when someone prepares them for you:) There is a art in getting the fruit out in whole segments. I haven't mastered it as yet.

I gave up and just slice into wedges the way I do oranges and then bury my face in them one by one. I usually stand over the sink for this sort of thing. :lol:
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:11 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
patty wrote:It takes quite a bit of work to peel. I have one sitting and waiting on my counter now. They taste better when someone prepares them for you:) There is a art in getting the fruit out in whole segments. I haven't mastered it as yet.

I gave up and just slice into wedges the way I do oranges and then bury my face in them one by one. I usually stand over the sink for this sort of thing. :lol:

LOL.. that is a image of pure joy, of having the juice run down your cheeks.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:18 pm

patty wrote:LOL.. that is a image of pure joy, of having the juice run down your cheeks.

Aloha, patty

We really do need an emoji/smilie for that on the forums
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Vegankit » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 pm

Patti we always cut it up like an orange too. I know what you mean about trying to peel that thick skin to get a whole intact segments inside.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby patty » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:47 am

Vegankit wrote:Patti we always cut it up like an orange too. I know what you mean about trying to peel that thick skin to get a whole intact segments inside.

Are you saying cut exactly like a orange? When I usually cut a orange it is just cutting lines in the skin, then pealing. I will give it a try.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:56 am

patty wrote:
Vegankit wrote:Patti we always cut it up like an orange too. I know what you mean about trying to peel that thick skin to get a whole intact segments inside.

Are you saying cut exactly like a orange? When I usually cut a orange it is just cutting lines in the skin, then pealing. I will give it a try.

Aloha, patty

Like this
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 1cc4bb.jpg

Sorry couldn't make photobucket work this morning...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Got it.. so much easier:) Sliced like a orange, then cut into bite size pieces, took some of the white of rind off. Some of my Clients don't have access knives, other than the small plastic ones. I will have to pack a knife.. the trees are loaded:) I imagine they freeze well.

Mahalo... patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 am

I'm tellin' ya, esp on a hot day, try eating those slices out of hand standing over the sink or better still, outside somewhere. A whole different level of involvement ;)
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:I'm tellin' ya, esp on a hot day, try eating those slices out of hand standing over the sink or better still, outside somewhere. A whole different level of involvement ;)

I know the hand to mouth technique very well:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning