Lotus Root....

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lotus Root....

Postby patty » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:32 am

Yesterday I was gifted with Lotus Root. Normally in the islands it is cooked in soy sauce, sugar and water. I pressured cooked in water for 1 minute. It turned out delicious. I mixed some of lotus root with the left over Garbanzo Tomato Curry I had. Recipe by DUw: http://plantfueledlife.com/recipe/garbanzo-curry/ And it was great. Then later I added some of the lotus root with fresh pineapple and it to was delicious. And it is great to just snack on. They make lotus root chips.. oil of course.. but the taste is so great just lightly cooked all by itself, I won't even bother trying to make oil free chips. Here is a site that explains the health benefits: https://www.organicfacts.net/health-ben ... -root.html Be sure to treat yourself when finding in a Chinese Market.

This is a picture of lotus root. It can be eaten as a snack just lightly steamed/pressure cooked.

i had left overs from DWu's recipe for Garbanzo Tomato Curry and it was great when adding the lotus root.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: Lotus Root....

Postby Vegankit » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 pm

How wonderful to be gifted some Lotus Roots. I love them too - the open pattern when you cut into them is so beautiful.

I posted a book review a few years ago that had a recipe for my favorite way to eat lotus blossom

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38578&p=395344&hilit=lotus+root#p395344

The link in my post is no longer active - so here is a new link to the recipe: http://veganfusion.com/lotus-root-salad/
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby patty » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:27 am

Vegankit wrote:How wonderful to be gifted some Lotus Roots. I love them too - the open pattern when you cut into them is so beautiful.

I posted a book review a few years ago that had a recipe for my favorite way to eat lotus blossom

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38578&p=395344&hilit=lotus+root#p395344

The link in my post is no longer active - so here is a new link to the recipe: http://veganfusion.com/lotus-root-salad/

I did check out the recipe.. and the ingredients looked like it would make a wonderful salad that would be a favorite. I loved the tips part where it was shared when the lotus root steamed creates a light sweetness. I found this true. I am thinking of mixing it with Okinawa sweet potatoes or red beans to make a faux ice cream.

All Mark Reinfeld books looked interesting. And I will keep it in mind for when I am ready to purchase another especially with the Asian influence. I loved Woody Harrelson gave a review. He is quite active in the islands. I know he had a bid in to grow medical marijuana.

Mahalo, patty
patty

Postby pundit999 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:46 pm

I love Lotus roots.

I get them from my local Chinese store. They sell both the unpackaged and packaged versions. Packaged version is convenient: it is peeled and packed in brine I think. Unpackaged: you have to clean and it may go bad quickly.

I cook them in a dish I posted here a while back. I use watercress, onions, tomatoes and chilies. It comes out delicious. The pungent taste of watercress good well with the mild taste and aldente texture of Lotus roots.
pundit999

Postby Vegankit » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:45 pm

pundit999 wrote:I love Lotus roots.

I get them from my local Chinese store. They sell both the unpackaged and packaged versions. Packaged version is convenient: it is peeled and packed in brine I think. Unpackaged: you have to clean and it may go bad quickly.

I cook them in a dish I posted here a while back. I use watercress, onions, tomatoes and chilies. It comes out delicious. The pungent taste of watercress good well with the mild taste and aldente texture of Lotus roots.
pundit999, I also buy mine in a Chinese grocery store. I prefer to buy a plain lotus root - although you do have to be careful not to buy a bruised one, or as you point out one going bad. I tried the prepackaged and I didn't like the brine flavor nor the salt. I wanted a thinner slice - and with pre-sliced you're stuck with what the manufacturer choose.

For someone who hasn't tried this veggie, lotus root is easy to peel and easy to slice as thick or thin as you need for your recipe. I love the salad I posted the link to above because when I serve it to people who don't eat this way - they are always interested in trying it because of the open lacy pattern of the lotus root - it makes food look pretty.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning