Sweet Potato Butter...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sweet Potato Butter...

Postby patty » Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 pm

I am lucky to be gifted with Hawaiian sweet potatoes quite often. The Hawaiian sweet potato is red on the outside and white on the inside. Like the Okinawa sweet potato a dense sweet potato. They keep pretty well. I found this recipe for Sweet Potato Butter. My college granddaughter stays over a couple times a week. I told my son she is not allowed to bring in junk food.. pop tarts etc. I purchase rye bread for sandwiches but I have nothing to use for toast. So I made the sweet potato butter:

Happy Healthy Mama

http://happyhealthymama.com/2011/09/swe ... utter.html

Sweet Potato Butter

Makes 8-10 ounces

1 pound sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into chunks*

1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider

1/4 cup agave nectar

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

*To peel or not to peel, that is the question. I didn’t because I prefer to keep all the nutrients that are in the skin. With my Vitamix blender, I was able to get a super smooth consistency. If you are worried that your blender or food processor won’t be able to get the tators smooth with the skin, go ahead and peel ’em.

Steam your sweet potatoes until they are very soft, about 15-20 minutes. (I used my rice cooker which has a steamer option; you can also use a steamer basket on top of a pot of boiling water)

Transfer the potatoes to a blender or food processor and process until you have a smooth puree. Put the puree, along with the rest of the ingredients, in a medium pot and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently until the mixture thickens slightly, about 20 minutes or so.

Allow the mixture to cool before transferring it to an airtight container for storing. The sweet potato butter will keep, refrigerated, for 2-3 weeks.

It was delicious. I steamed 3 Hawaiian sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker for about 10 minutes. Then after pureeing in the food processor I just added the apple cider vinegar and dry ingredients minus the cloves. I didn't have to heat to bring to a boil to simmer to reduce the liquid as it was perfect as is. Most likely because the Hawaiian sweet potatoes are more dense?

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: Sweet Potato Butter...

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun May 29, 2016 3:02 pm

Looks good though I would just cut back on the vinegar and completely omit the agave (up to 97% concentrated fructose, has had severe heavy metal contamination issues). Might indeed need sweetener of some sort of the "kids" though....
GeoffreyLevens

Postby BroccoliForever » Sun May 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe. In theory, it sounds delicious! I agree with GeoffreyLevens about the agave, but I am wondering if we could just substitute dates instead? I will get to the store this week and pick up some of those potatoes and try out his suggestions and let you know how it turns out! Thanks Patty!
BroccoliForever

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun May 29, 2016 6:41 pm

I have tasted agave and it mostly just very sweet while dates would add their own flavor. I think it would be excellent! Esp if Medjools as they are so rich and creamy tasting.

I think about 1 of those = 3 Delget Noor dates (just for reference) which are also quite good but much "drier"
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Vegankit » Sun May 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks for posting Patty - you always find the most interesting recipes. I love pumpkin butter so I know I'll love this in the fall.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Timaca » Sun May 29, 2016 9:24 pm

I have a question....in the recipe you wrote "1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider". When you discussed the recipe you added the word "vinegar". Did you use vinegar? Or apple cider (eg a type of juice)??

Thanks for the clarification,
Timaca

Postby patty » Mon May 30, 2016 11:27 am

Timaca wrote:I have a question....in the recipe you wrote "1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider". When you discussed the recipe you added the word "vinegar". Did you use vinegar? Or apple cider (eg a type of juice)??

Yikes... I did use the apple cider vinegar:) I also used 2 T organic coconut palm sugar vs. the Agave. I think the sugar could be eliminated in the future. The apple cider vinegar seemed to work, Mahalo though for catching that! For myself I think the density of the Hawaiian sweet potato, made the difference as there wasn't a excess of liquid to bring to a boil to simmer down. I have to confess I am not a cook:)

Aloha, patty

I think prior in checking out the vegan recipes for butter on the Vegan Meringue - Hits and Misses! site they always use apple cider vinegar and that is where I got it in my head but they always use oil. https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganMeringue/files/

If you don't have a facebook account.. here is a site that explains what it takes to make vegan butter.
http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/fats ... gan-butter
Last edited by patty on Mon May 30, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Mon May 30, 2016 12:14 pm

BroccoliForever wrote:Thanks for sharing this recipe. In theory, it sounds delicious! I agree with GeoffreyLevens about the agave, but I am wondering if we could just substitute dates instead? I will get to the store this week and pick up some of those potatoes and try out his suggestions and let you know how it turns out! Thanks Patty!

I am sure dates would be good, but I imagine any extra sweetener besides the sweet poatato can be eliminated. Amazing how our taste buds change.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby BroccoliForever » Tue May 31, 2016 8:31 am

Oh my goodness!!! I just made the sweet potato butter and it is FANTASTIC! I have to admit that I have a general problem with following recipe directions and I improvise quite a bit.

I used 1.7 pounds of oriental sweet potatoes (that is 3 small sweet potatoes). Since I couldn't find apple cider at my store, I used one medium sized sweet apple instead. I put the three potatoes and the apple (all whole) in the InstantPot and cooked for 15 minutes using a steamer basket. I then cored the apple (should have done that before cooking!!), and put the potatoes and apple in my Vitamix. I added the spices and about 2-3 TBS of apple cider vinegar. Because I'm lazy, and I didn't want to transfer the mix to a pan, I added in about a tablespoon chia seeds and continued to blend. It took a while for this to blend up nice and smooth. It is SO AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS! It is also a pretty color. I was worried the chia seeds would make it look dirty. I know white chia seeds exist, but I only have the black ones. The chia seeds are there to thicken the mix up a bit.. although I don't even think you would need it using the oriental sweet potatoes...I just wanted to be sure it wasn't at all watery.

OH, and the biggest part is that I didn't add any extra sugar type product or dates... it simply doesn't need it!

So, thanks (MAHALO!) Patty for this great recipe!
BroccoliForever

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:01 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Looks good though I would just cut back on the vinegar and completely omit the agave (up to 97% concentrated fructose, has had severe heavy metal contamination issues). Might indeed need sweetener of some sort of the "kids" though....

I don't see vinegar in here?

but I'm going to try this recipe. I plan on buying a LOT of yams, because there's scads of recipes I want to try. And they always have the Asian sweet potatoes at the Asian market where I buy so many of my foods. I know what I'll be getting, next time I shop there.

thanks!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:07 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:
GeoffreyLevens wrote:Looks good though I would just cut back on the vinegar and completely omit the agave (up to 97% concentrated fructose, has had severe heavy metal contamination issues). Might indeed need sweetener of some sort of the "kids" though....

I don't see vinegar in here?

but I'm going to try this recipe. I plan on buying a LOT of yams, because there's scads of recipes I want to try. And they always have the Asian sweet potatoes at the Asian market where I buy so many of my foods. I know what I'll be getting, next time I shop there.

thanks!

When I posted that I was looking at Patty's follow up post where she said AVC instead of apple cider. But she has since corrected that second post and her op and the original recipe source say apple cider (NOT vinegar)
GeoffreyLevens

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:10 pm

patty wrote:
Timaca wrote:I have a question....in the recipe you wrote "1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider". When you discussed the recipe you added the word "vinegar". Did you use vinegar? Or apple cider (eg a type of juice)??

Yikes... I did use the apple cider vinegar:)

But the *original* recipe in the link you provided says apple cider, *not* ACV. She was making a sweet treat for her little daughter. I'm going to go with the premise that the recipe's author did mean what she wrote, apple cider.
VeggieSue

Postby patty » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:42 pm

Yes, i did make the mistake of using apple cider vinager instead of apple cider as stated in the recipe. It still turned out:) I think the real difference in the recipe is using the Hawaiian sweet potato as it is denser than the yellow/orange sweet potato.

Whole Foods make patties/cake like shapes from the Okinawa sweet potatoes. They must use a plant milk to create a mash potato and add shredded coconut. I will have to try it with the Hawaiian.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Didn't have the listed spices but they did look familiar! Sweet potato was a purple Stokes, generous tsp pumpkin pie spice, medium green apple and blend. No need to cook it down as already nice and thick, and tastes fantastic. What a treat for tomorrow!

GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:19 am

I think this would make a great pie filling! Maybe add a flax egg or two to help it solidify. All sorts of versions of crust floating around depending on your needs and taste...
GeoffreyLevens

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning