Cabbage and Rice Casserole

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cabbage and Rice Casserole

Postby odyssey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:05 am

1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 to 1 tsp dried oregano

Put cabbage, rice and onion in a casserole dish. Mix spices with tomato sauce and pour over. Cover and bake 45 min. to 1 hr. at 350.

After 45 min. I needed to add about a half cup water and put back in oven to finish because it was very dry. So you might want to add the water at the beginning.

I'm sure you can use brown rice.

It turned out delicious.

Edited to clarify uncooked rice is used, finely chop the cabbage, and should be baked covered.
Last edited by odyssey on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
odyssey

Re: Cabbage and Rice Casserole

Postby Gershon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 am

Dumb question: Do you cook the rice before putting it in the oven?
Gershon

Postby odyssey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:20 am

Sorry, I should have made it clearer. The rice used is uncooked. It will cook while the casserole bakes in the oven.
odyssey

Postby Gershon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:52 am

odyssey wrote:Sorry, I should have made it clearer. The rice used is uncooked. It will cook while the casserole bakes in the oven.

Thanks. I'll give this a try in the next few days.

Another question: Do you cover the dish?
Gershon

Postby odyssey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:33 am

Sorry again! Yes, the casserole should be covered while baking. :)
odyssey

Postby patty » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:10 am

Sounds so easy and delicious!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:33 pm

In case Odyssey is online. . . I'm making this now. It smells great. But the cabbage isn't cooking very well. The rice is cooked and it seems done (1 hour), but the cabbage isn't cooked well. Thoughts?
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:01 pm

OK--it took an hour and 20 long minutes LOL, but it was yummy! Next time I'll just plan it for an evening when I have plenty of time and am not starving!!! :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Starch Chick » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Recipe looks good. I'm putting the cabbage and tomato sauce on my grocery list
.....Beth
"It's the food" - Dr McDougall
Starch Chick

Postby odyssey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:28 am

ETeSelle wrote:In case Odyssey is online. . . I'm making this now. It smells great. But the cabbage isn't cooking very well. The rice is cooked and it seems done (1 hour), but the cabbage isn't cooked well. Thoughts?

I'm so sorry I wasn't around to answer your question! I think the problem is I should have said "finely chopped" cabbage. I usually chop it to a fine dice for this recipe, like you would an onion for a recipe. So I'll edit the recipe.

ETeSelle, did you use brown rice or jasmine? I usually eat brown but in this I have always used jasmine for the flavor. Just curious how it is with brown. Sorry it took so long to bake. Hopefully if you make it again it will go quicker! :)
odyssey

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:08 am

odyssey wrote:
ETeSelle wrote:In case Odyssey is online. . . I'm making this now. It smells great. But the cabbage isn't cooking very well. The rice is cooked and it seems done (1 hour), but the cabbage isn't cooked well. Thoughts?

I'm so sorry I wasn't around to answer your question! I think the problem is I should have said "finely chopped" cabbage. I usually chop it to a fine dice for this recipe, like you would an onion for a recipe. So I'll edit the recipe.

ETeSelle, did you use brown rice or jasmine? I usually eat brown but in this I have always used jasmine for the flavor. Just curious how it is with brown. Sorry it took so long to bake. Hopefully if you make it again it will go quicker! :)

I used jasmine. I don't use it often so I figured I would. It was really good.

Yeah, I don't dice ANYTHING tiny LOL--including onion. So I'll just cook it longer. It was my own fault for starting something that takes more than 10 min. on a day when I had stuff to do after work. Never a good idea. ;-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:10 am

It's funny -- I spent the first 45 years of my life DETESTING cabbage. Not sure why. But in the past few years I've developed a liking, then a passion for the stuff. :)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning