4th of July Cookout

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

4th of July Cookout

Postby Scooter1411 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm attending a 4th of July cookout this weekend and would like to take some plant-based dishes. What are some fun and easy options for appetizers, main dishes and dessert?
Scooter1411

Re: 4th of July Cookout

Postby TerriNC » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 pm

My favorite appetizer is Spinach Artichoke Dip with veggies and chips: http://blog.eatplant-based.com/recipe/s ... choke-dip/ And it's very easy to make.

For a main dish, especially a cookout, these Mushroom Burgers are great: http://blog.eatplant-based.com/recipe/p ... m-burgers/

These Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are my favorite dessert to take places: http://blog.eatplant-based.com/recipe/o ... n-cookies/ They are what made the medical offices call me back to come in for an interview about plant-based living for other clients. You KNOW they're good! :)
TerriNC

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:15 am

we are hosting a 4th of July party. We are trying to keep it simple.

- veggie dogs with all the fixins'! (we ordered an 18 hotdog roller roaster off Amazon) I never eat those things, but its 4th of July & there are some fat-free veg dogs & some interesting looking ones from Tofurkey that don't seem too frankenfoodish. If anyone has a preference that'd be great?

- creamy dill potato salad
- smokey baked beans
- corn on the cob
- tropical fruit salad
- americana haupia (hope the Hawaiian gods don't mind that we red/white & blue a 3 layer haupia cake!)

we'll see what we actually churn out after going shopping for everything this week.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Katydid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:44 am

healthyvegan wrote:we are hosting a 4th of July party. We are trying to keep it simple.

- veggie dogs with all the fixins'! (we ordered an 18 hotdog roller roaster off Amazon) I never eat those things, but its 4th of July & there are some fat-free veg dogs & some interesting looking ones from Tofurkey that don't seem too frankenfoodish. If anyone has a preference that'd be great?

- creamy dill potato salad
- smokey baked beans
- corn on the cob
- tropical fruit salad
- americana haupia (hope the Hawaiian gods don't mind that we red/white & blue a 3 layer haupia cake!)

we'll see what we actually churn out after going shopping for everything this week.

I wonder how a carrot dog would turn out on a rolling roaster?

http://stayathomevegan.blogspot.com/201 ... g.html?m=1

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 am

There is a guy at one of our farmers markets in LA that does them. I don't think they'll work on the roller (marinade might muk it up). But will consider giving it a spin!
healthyvegan

Postby patty » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:32 pm

healthyvegan wrote:There is a guy at one of our farmers markets in LA that does them. I don't think they'll work on the roller (marinade might muk it up). But will consider giving it a spin!

18 hotdogs sounds like a lot:) It all sounds delicious. I enjoyed making the hotdog recipe from fat-free vegan. They were wrapped in parchment paper and steamed. Happy 4th!!!

Aloha, patty

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/07/ho ... -dogs.html I guess they could be precooked and then reheated on the hotdog roller. They were very tasty.
patty

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks for the ideas Patty! I really like the fat free vegan homemade ones! I wonder if they'd hold together on the roller?
healthyvegan

Postby patty » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:22 am

I think they would do great on the hotdog roller. They are steamed first (rolled in parchment paper to hold their form), then refrigerated and then placed on a grill or cooked in a frying pan etc. They were delicious.

Homemade Veggie Dogs

Ingredients
1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic
3/4 cup cooked pinto beans, well-drained
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/8 teaspoon hickory smoked salt (optional)
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/3 cup oatmeal (rolled or quick oats, uncooked)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
Instructions
Put the onion and garlic into a food processor and pulse to chop finely. Heat a small non-stick skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion mixture back to food processor.
Add the pinto beans, water, coconut aminos or soy sauce, tomato paste, and all seasonings to the food processor. Blend until it’s a thin paste.
Combine remaining ingredients (gluten, oatmeal, yeast, and flax) in a large mixing bowl. Add the contents of the food processor and stir until combined. If it seems that there’s not enough moisture, add another tablespoon or two of water. Knead in the bowl for about two minutes until a heavy gluten “dough” is formed.
Set up a steamer in a pot of water and bring the water to a boil. Cut off 8 pieces of aluminum foil or parchment paper, each about 6 inches long. Divide the gluten into 8 equal pieces. Place a piece of foil or parchment on the counter. Roll a piece of gluten between the palms of your hands until it’s about the size and shape of a hot dog. Place it on the foil/paper and roll up. Roll the tube back and forth, pressing lightly with your hands, to give it an even shape, and then twist the ends closed. Repeat with the remaining gluten to form 8 veggie hot dogs.
Place all the veggie dogs in the top of a steamer, cover, and steam for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping. Store the veggie dogs in a covered container in the refrigerator. Warm gently in a frying pan or microwave or on a grill before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s) | Cooking time: 45 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 8
Fat-Free Vegan http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/07/ho ... -dogs.html

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby CMD » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:37 am

Hi Patty,
How important are mace and coriander to the veggie dogs? I have everything but those two ingredients. Do these taste like hot dogs or more like sausage, brats, etc? I'm really looking for a traditional hot dog flavor. My mom enjoys hot dogs and if I could find a healthy alternative for her it would be great.

Thanks!
CMD

Postby patty » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:35 am

I am sure I didn't add in the mace.. and some of the other spices. It is the vital wheat gluten that makes them work. I had never used it before. They can be seasoned anyway you want. And they can be steamed in a pressure cooker and a regular steamer or even the microwave. I rolled them up in parchment paper, then tin foil to keep the parchment paper on.

Here is the thread where everyone helped me: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45850&hilit=veggie+dogs It should give you a lot of ideas. I think I too I will make them again. They were really better than anything I ever bought. I am sure your mom would love them:) if not the recipe, the fact you made them for her.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:37 am

Healthy vegan said;

"Americana haupia (hope the Hawaiian gods don't mind that we red/white & blue a 3 layer haupia cake!)"

I had to google it. :shock:
How could that be McDougall-ized? :eek:

I don't have a serious sweet tooth, but I would be hard-pressed not to have some of that! :oops:
“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby healthyvegan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:23 am

The haupia is just corn starch & lite coconut milk & some sweetener. I'll get my wife's recipe or try to take pics as she makes it. Does anyone have any success with non artificial food coloring? We've given up & are going to use the regular stuff...
healthyvegan

Postby patty » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:47 am

looks like they use freeze dried fruit, to make a powder for coloring,,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganMe ... 20coloring
Meringues flavored and colored with powdered dehydrated fruit (Edit: yikes, seems I was using the wrong term - its actually FREEZE DRIED fruit that I turned into a powder. Sorry about that!!). The purple is blueberries,pink is strawberries and white is vanilla. Psyched to find a natural food dye that works so well. First pic is a fresh berry meringue cake (recipe link in comments), which I was only going to take a bite of for pics and ending up nomming the whole thing haha ooops

Her site is listed in the comments: https://thelazyveganbaker.wordpress.com ... h-berries/ It has all the details:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby healthyvegan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Freeze dried fruit! Thanks a million Patty!
healthyvegan

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning