Can't Seem To Get This

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can't Seem To Get This

Postby sarab80753 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Since third grade (now 65), I have struggled with my weight, including lots of very low calorie diets and regaining the weight I lost and more. I've used phen-fen, done liquid diets, and laxatives. Now, because I don't want the chronic illnesses my parents have had, I've been attempting a plant-based lifestyle for several years. I'm not tempted by meat, cheese, or eggs, but it is the sugar (and animal products contained in desserts) that do me in. I did a local Community Health Improvement Program for 18 weeks. Because they were doing blood work, I managed to let go of the sugary stuff for that time, and my numbers showed results. But the minute it was over, I began eating the sugar again even though I told myself I was not going to do so. I've lost a little weight, but the best I can say is this is the first time in my life I haven't worried about the weight coming back on. But I need to lose more, about 50 pounds. Now I've been trying the maximum weight loss program for about a week, and done much better, but I am already sick of salad and potatoes. So I had sweetened cereal for lunch. The thought of living on the foods on the maximum weight loss diet almost make me physically shake. Why can't I do this? What is wrong with me?i
sarab80753

Re: Can't Seem To Get This

Postby mapat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:53 am

One friend of mine said her doctor told her if she is craving sweets to eat spinach. No idea why that might work, but eating a can of spinach at those times really seems to help her cut down on the sweets.
mapat

Postby Franchesca_S. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:41 am

sarab80753,
My sweet-tooth has diminished since I've been on the program but it still bothers me occasionally. I have a few cheats to get me through.

I bring my food to work so that its compliant but in the past I would throw a few things into my bag to past the 4pm M&M hour such as a small container of dates or a small jar of raisins with a few chocolate baking chunks tossed in. Occasionally if I wanted some sort of dessert I fixed a small dish of brown rice topped with sliced banana, blueberries and a mandarin orange. HFCS gives me migraine auras, so I'm grateful for the chocolate chunks to have a very small sweet snack without that side effect. I plan to eat meals on a regular schedule because when I get really hungry judgement can suffer.

I'm similar to you, 63, forty lbs to lose and have struggled with weight all my life. I really like this program and enjoy the food but it took a while to get in the groove. After two years my tastes have changed and fruit tastes really sweet to me and satisfies those sweet cravings in the way the candy and bakery did in the past. Also its very reinforcing that my BP and cholesterol are the envy of my omni friends.

Hang in there, it's worth it.

Franchesca
Franchesca_S.

Postby kirstykay » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:36 pm

This video of Dr. Lisle's explains what you're going through. You are not alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Willijan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 pm

I have a different take on this. If you are sticking to the McDougall diet except for small amounts of sugar, you are not failing, you are succeeding. Sugar is bad for you, but think of the fact that you are not eating animal foods, oil, and high fat foods. How many people do you know who are successfully doing that?

Craving desserts is my hardest problem on this diet, too. Here are several ways I have tried to deal with it:

1) For breakfast, I eat sugar sweetened fruit on my oatmeal, because just fruit is enough to make me gag. Eating fruit with sugar is a step forward for me. (When I was 9 years old, my family celebrated when I finally ate the filling in a pie--blueberry.) I cook 3 lbs. of frozen blueberries and add 2 T. sugar. It lasts about 4 days. Or 15 apples, stewed, with 1/3 c. sugar added; lasts a long time.

2) I eat desserts that don't have sugar in them. There is a great recipe on the Straight Up Food website for baked oatmeal with apples. I use the date sweetened option. Not the best, but better than sugar or fat.

3) I have found that eating green vegetables actually does help me crave sugar less. And lose weight! (I am 5'4.5", and I started the diet at 127 lbs. Now I weigh 115 lbs, which I am thrilled with.) I eat large servings of asparagus, zucchini, green beans, collards, spinach, peas, sugar snap peas. They taste good to me now, and I was amazed to find they cut down on my sugar craving. My husband learned to like them too.

Remember, if you just keep trying different things on the diet, and doing the best you can, you will gradually change. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up. That makes it harder to succeed.
Willijan

Postby JaniceYvonne » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:07 am

Not an expert, only with my own experience....Eat more fruit ..and if you want sweet go for dates, dried pineapple ..etc. Does the trick every time for me.
JaniceYvonne

Postby Strawberry60 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:39 pm

When I crave sweet foods I very often cook up a whole load of sweet corn or peas, both of which I keep in the freezer. Only takes a couple of minutes to cook, is very filling and surprisingly sweet. Or if I fancy something that's a bit heavier a bowl of porridge made with plant milk and sweetened with xylitol, it's a bit like quick rice pudding! Banana mashed into soya yoghurt is also desert like. I try to munch on a couple of celery sticks or a raw carrot first to fill up a bit of stomach space.
Maybe these ideas will help....I really hope so.
Will it matter in 10 minutes. 10 hours. 10 days. 10 weeks. 10 months. 10 years.
Strawberry60

Postby Langeranger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:42 pm

JaniceYvonne mentioned dried fruit. I'm with her. A few chopped dates and a walnut half taste like a candy bar. Granted it's still candy, but candy with some redeeming merit. Sugar buffered by actual food. A calorie-dense nut but THE nut with the most optimal Omega 3/Omega 6 ratio. Dietary fiber, potassium, a bit of protein little if any sodium; pick a day of the week, not to cheat, but to celebrate what you're doing right with a judiciously-sized sweet treat. Then happily return to MWL. BTW, chop the dates yourself as most pre-chopped seem to be sugar-sprinkled. good eatin', Don
Langeranger

Postby bluegenes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:50 pm

One thing I eat that works for me is chop any kind of raw fruit kind of small, then put a teaspoon of organic unsweetened, no dairy, chocolate powder on it and stir. If the fruit needs it I add about 1/2 teaspoon of organic maple syrup to the fruit and chocolate, and stir thoroughly... This is kind of like dessert, and is quite satisfying. Eat an hour or so after dinner. There's no added sugar, and it's quite delicious.
bluegenes

Return to The Lounge