Confused

You can ask one of our experts a specific question here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, Heather McDougall, carolve

Confused

Postby LisaNoble » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:45 pm

Hello,
I've studied this program before and my husband and I were vegan for 1.5 years. We returned to normal eating unfortunately. Last week I was told that I have beginning stages of Hashimotos disease which is auto immune. So obviously I have a leaky gut. I'm going to reverse it. I love to study natural health. I'm getting some very conflicting information. I just watched a series on brain health and now I'm watching one on auto-immune health.

The brain health series says our brains are mostly made of fat and we need the omegas 3 and 6 and fish, avocados, coconut oil. I was so happy to hear this. I'm on the McDougall site getting refreshed on some things and searching some info because I'm so confused. Please help me on the fat question.

Also, potatoes are not good for leaky gut? This is what I've learned from multiple places but I'm not seeing anything on that from McDougall program. I would rather die if I can't eat potatoes.

Also, since learning that I've got a leaky gut I've been fasting. I'm on day two. Giving my system a break with water, vitamins, probiotics, green tea with turmeric to sooth inflammation, aloe very juice, things like this. Are there any fasting advice areas on this website?

Also, I've heard bone broth is very good for healing a leaky gut? There's so much conflicting information out there.

Thank you so much for anything you can share,
Lisa
LisaNoble

Re: Confused

Postby f1jim » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:20 am

Our brains physical content isn't indicative of what it requires to run efficiently. Our brains run on glucose primarily.
Starches, as recommended by this program, are a preferred source of glucose.
You will find almost every point of view on the internet. Literally every nutritional idea that can be thought of has a proponent on the internet. We strongly suggest using competent data as well as historical information to make your mind up about what is nutritional truth.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html Scroll to James Brown
f1jim

Re: Confused

Postby frozenveg » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:43 am

Lisa, the folks on this forum, and this thread in particular, are people who have been successful on the McDougall way of eating. That means a couple of things. One, that we are not medical experts, and two, we are going to give you answers based on the McDougall, starch-based, no added oil, no animal products way of eating. Since it is a starch-based diet, that means that for many, potatoes are included as a main part of their calories. There are some who are successful who avoid or totally eliminate potatoes, due to their own dietary and health limitations.

This website has an absolute ton of information. I urge you to explore the archives of the newsletter articles (more than 10 years), the extensive information in Jeff Novick's threads, and the other information that has been provided here.

Fasting is not part of this way of eating, but there are many discussions about it in the forum if you want to seek them out.

If you are sincerely trying to improve your health by giving up animal products, leave bone broth out of your diet.

I acknowledge that there is a lot of confusing information out there! I really like this article by Jeff Novick
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30387&p=328210
And this one, about the confusion itself and what to do about it:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27778

Read and enjoy. Keep us posted on your journey to better health!
5'3", 68 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 129.2
93.4 lbs lost, as of Oct. 2011

Following the McDougall plan gave me my life back! Thank you, Dr. McD!
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cloudy_rockwell.htm
frozenveg

Return to Ask A Star McDougaller