15 month old

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

15 month old

Postby nick777 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:50 am

I am mostly whole food plant-based high starch and in January I plan to switch from mostly to entirely (some processed flours, occasional cheese especially when traveling).

My wife is an octo-lavo vegetarian and it was decided at his daycare he will get vegetarian meals. But I pushed back on drinking milk and it must be plant based.

We use flax milk and he doesn't really like it but will drink it when thirsty. We've tried soy milk before as well to mixed results. I'm guessing over time he will just get used to it. If anyone has any tips it would be appreciated.

He just had his check up and he's 91st percentile in height and lost a little bit of weight but they think the last time he was weighed wrong (he was in the upper 80s percentile).

With the plant milk being hard I can expect it to be much more difficult if I were to convince my wife to switch him to the McDougal program.
nick777

Re: 15 month old

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Nick! I have three children, ages 6, 4 and 6 months. While I am no means a health care provider, I can tell you what we do.

Before I started eating this way, I was a vegetarian and decided to raise my children vegetarian. This has not changed, BUT we do not have dairy or eggs at home (often).

I never gave the kids milk. Water is fine. Once weaned, children do not need milk, especially from a cow. Honestly, they don’t need it from a plant, either. Just give him water.

Kid’s weights can fluctuate, especially after they start walking and moving. It’s the overall trend to keep an eye on, and beans and rice is perfect for little hands and growing bodies.

Sounds like your son has some thoughtful parents. Keep up the good work!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby debknott » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:41 pm

Of the various plant based 'milks', I think almond milk tastes the best. Maybe he would like that.
debknott

Postby cena » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 am

I've raised 10 children. When we gave up dairy was when my second born had severe ear infections. All my kids grew up on water only. They were and are very healthy. Plant milk is still only used for cereal.
cena

Return to Family and Children