Children's Well Check / Sports Physical

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Children's Well Check / Sports Physical

Postby KabanaKim » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:53 pm

I was just wondering, what is the correct way to respond when the pediatrician is asking your kids what they eat daily and telling them that they should be sure to drink more milk and eat more protein? "You are growing and you need plenty of protein and calcium" -- without getting into a full out debate? Any input appreciated =) Thank you.
KabanaKim

Re: Children's Well Check / Sports Physical

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:05 pm

I just took the kids today! I’m pretty honest with the dr. Our pediatrician usually asks about if the kids eat fruits and veggies, then milk and protein. I tell her that the kids eat a variety of fruits and veggies, we don’t keep dairy in the house (outside the home is another story!), but use almond milk on cereal, and the kids eat lots of beans. Sometimes there is a follow up from the dr on the importance of whatever, and I just smile and nod. Today I got a talk about the imprtance if vitamin D, but it was brief and then we were on to the next topic.

I believe Jeff posted that when he’s asked about diet, he says that he eats lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lean protein.

Depending on how old your kids are, you’ll only see the dr once a year for their well-child check-up, so it’s a pretty brief amount of time to just smile and nod.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Family and Children