No Periods for 2 Years

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

No Periods for 2 Years

Postby happyballerina » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Hello,
I am currently a 15 (almost 16) year old ballet dancer who is very active every day. I started the McDougall diet when I was 13 because my mom encouraged me to eat healthier after I wasn’t feeling well eating a very SAD diet. (She was already a McDougaller.) I started my period a few weeks before I turned 13 and had it for about 6 months, skipping about 2 cycles, so I’ve probably only had it 4 times.

Well, I haven’t had it again for 740 days. Initially when I started this way of eating I lost 20 lbs because I was slightly pudgy. I haven’t grown taller (which isn’t too surprising since I’m as tall as my dad) and have maintained about the same weight between 95-105 at 5’5”. Every time I go the doctor for a check up, she says I am perfectly healthy and it’s fine for someone so active. However, I do feel this is weird. When should I start worrying? I’m about the same size as all my friends who have their periods and I don’t restrict calories. I also have higher fat foods such as peanut butter and avocado everyday.

I feel healthy and amazing! Thanks for any insight.
happyballerina

Re: No Periods for 2 Years

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:50 pm

If your doctor says you are fine, I would trust their judgement. Are your parents concerned? You are very light for being so tall, but you are also a teen and still growing. By avoiding the hormones in meat and dairy, you are giving your body the opportunity to not mature too quickly, which is a good thing.

If you’d like another doctor’s opinion, you can email Dr. McDougall himself. He raised his whole family plant-based, and can provide you reassurances. Also, if you have diet related questions, Jeff might be able to help, as his daughter was quite athletic as well in her teen years and WFPB.

On a side note, my two daughters just started ballet (ages 4 and 5). I would love it for them to have a fit and healthy role model like you. Continue nourishing your body. Ballet is incredibly demanding, and your diet is providing you everything you need to succeed.

Best wishes to you!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby verde » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 am

Hi,

I think you should get an opinion of a vegan Medical Dr or vegan RD (registered dietitian).
You can email Dr.McDougall, or Jeff Novick (Jeff receives PM through this forum). You can also get the opinion of Jack Norris RD, and also read info on his website (https://jacknorrisrd.com).

Note that none of the aforementioned professionals will advise your personal case through email but you can ask them which steps should you take (i.e. get an appointment with a vegan Dr in your area, or not worry about this situation).

I personally think your period should indeed have returned, and that you're sensible to worry...you don't want to be without it for long because it can lead to osteoporosis in the future. You might need to increase your calories and eat even more plant based fats and proteins.
I'm not a doctor so this insight is just from life experience, not medical one.

Let us know how it goes! Hope you get it back soon!
verde

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 am

Here is a article you might find interesting: https://splinternews.com/why-the-age-yo ... 1793849647
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby jamietwo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 am

Congratulations on eating a healthy diet and feeling great! I'm also impressed that you're actively researching your own health concerns at such a young age! Dr. McDougall wrote a newsletter, https://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletter/nov_dec97.html , that addresses this. I've pulled one section from it (below), but I would encourage you to read the whole thing! : )

PUTTING ADULT HORMONES IN A CHILD'S BODY

As populations of people have gradually changed their diets from plant-based to animal-based, (rich in meats, dairy products, and refined foods) the onset of sexual maturity has decreased at a rate of about 2 to 6 months per decade. For example, the age of onset of the first menses, a time known as menarche, has decreased steadily from age 17.2 years in Norway in 1830 to age 13.2 years in 1950 (WHO Monograph 62:500, 1976). Similar changes have been seen in other western European countries over the past 160 years. In Britain, over the past 150 years the average age of menarche has fallen from 16.5 years to 12.8 years (Lancet 342:1375, 1993).

In the United States, in 1900, girls started their first periods at age 14 years, by 1960 they were menstruating by an average age 12.7. In Japan, in 1875, little girls became women capable of having babies at 16.5 years of age. Just after WW II (1950) they started their first periods at age 15.2. By 1960 the age of menarche was 13.9, by 1970 it fell to 12.5--just like little white girls in the United States. The slowest onset of maturity, with an mean age of menarche of 18-19 years, was observed in women of Papua New Guinea in the 1960s--a time when the people ate a nearly vegetarian, very low-fat diet.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby happyballerina » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! My parents and I are not too worried at this point, but we’re trying to keep an eye on it as I don’t want to have any problems in the future. I know that girls eating a starch based diet start their periods later, so removing animal hormones from my diet may have been a factor to stop it. I will be going to my primary care physician soon for my yearly check up and see what she says. I definitely don’t want to start any hormone therapies or start eating animal products, so if that is her recommendation I will be contacting a plantbased doctor.

I appreciated hearing some other opinions!
happyballerina

Return to Family and Children